View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Now you're being unfair. Half of them didn't ask for this either. And the other half have been thoroughly misled. If you don't have a natural distrust of media, it is easy to just believe what they tell you. Especially since the media really doesn't make a decent effort at educating about the news rather than telling people what they want to hear for higher ratings.

The media has to be blamed a lot for this. Remember the mantra "Don't feed the troll"? The media didn't observe it in Trump's case and in the case of Brexit. And here we are, witnessing the result of not just feeding the troll but literally stuffing him with food until he's about to burst.
    I have no idea what this has to do with the EU people laughing at us and us being a joke? Do I think it's fair we're in this situation? No, I voted remain and even I am laughing at the situation and how terrible we look right now. Not sure what you're on about.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    PS if you have more recent poll, please share with us, it's always interesting to analyse polls.
    https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.ne..._Topline_W.pdf

these results, 47/43 in favour of leaving the eu in Britain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    You know you could just leave? Easyjet have a sale on right now - so cheap I'd stump up a one way ticket for you to a place of my choice. Only a fool would live in a country they thought was a joke. Meanwhile, in spite of Brexit, construction workers coming from the EU to the UK are up 8% over the last 12 months. They obviously feel the UK is less of a joke than the EU country they left.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/89...ion-numbers-uk

Britain is booming thanks to the result of the Brexit referendum and as forbes recognises, the No 1 place on the planet to do business in 2018, Germany ranked 13th and France ranked 22nd just for comparison - who is the joke on now then?

https://www.forbes.com/best-countries-for-business/list/#tabverall

But there are 17 million who voted to leave and in your book all are trolls? I don't think so. Those 17 million know exactly why they voted for Brexit. Best summed up by this cartoon.

You're obviously deluded, Brexit hasn't happened yet. The joke is not at where the country is now, which is the worst economic growth forecasts, the worst wage growth in the developed world etc. The joke is the strength of our position in negotiating and how Brexit lies have been proven time and again.

As an anecdote, our hospital has not recruited an eu nurse in the last 6 months, we used to get 20+ a year, maybe it's not linked but I guess time will tell. As to moving, I'm not sure uprooting my family to live in a country where we don't speak the language is a viable option.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post

That poll is August, this one is October and it's 47/43 the other way.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/10/27...ublic-still-t/

http://uk.businessinsider.com/yougov...ew-low-2017-10

61% of people think May and co are mishandling it. The UK is looking like a joke.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2018-01-02 at 08:49 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Fieldwork: 18th - 28th August 2017

I said if you have more recent polls, not older polls. I do not care what the polls said 6 month or even 6 years ago.
    Come on man, surely you can do better than that, can't you? Really you can't?

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I have no idea what this has to do with the EU people laughing at us and us being a joke? Do I think it's fair we're in this situation? No, I voted remain and even I am laughing at the situation and how terrible we look right now. Not sure what you're on about.
    The UK as a nation is hardly the joke. The joke is your Government. First you have one that apparently thinks it's okay to take a gamble on something he clearly has no notion about, that is the opinion of the population. Then the Government, seeing that there is actually opposition, doesn't move a muscle to actually convince anyone of its position to remain. The arrogance... And after the damage is done, the same Government says "Well, chaps. That's it. I'm off to the Bahamas! Cheerio!" and the successor goes "Oh crap... oh well, I'll see what we can get out of this..." without actually showing any kind of motivation or concept on what to do. Granted, this is a new situation for everyone, but the British public can hardly be blamed for politicians having the same sense of duty and competence as a Lemming that's having a drink too many and is walking past a very inviting cliff...

Your politicians look bad. The few, very few, Brexiteers that seriously try to argue a case, ridiculous as their position and the by now notorious lack of an actual argument may be, they look bad. The British in general? You can only feel sorry for them. They didn't ask for this. And the worst half of them can be blamed for is being gullible.
    Last edited by Slant; 2018-01-02 at 10:27 AM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Fieldwork: 18th - 28th August 2017

I said if you have more recent polls, not older polls. I do not care what the polls said 6 month or even 6 years ago.
    Come on man, surely you can do better than that, can't you? Really you can't?
    I already posted this days ago, even posted a pretty graphical bar graph that got pooh poohed.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net...k_December.pdf

At this point would you prefer that Britain stays in
    or leaves the European Union?
    Prefer that Britain stays in the EU 39
    Prefer that Britain leaves the EU 48
    Don't know 13

source yougov Fieldwork: 13th December - 19th December
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    I already posted this days ago, even posted a pretty graphical bar graph that got pooh poohed.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net...k_December.pdf

At this point would you prefer that Britain stays in
    or leaves the European Union?
    Prefer that Britain stays in the EU 39
    Prefer that Britain leaves the EU 48
    Don't know 13

source yougov Fieldwork: 13th December - 19th December
    From the same survey though

Who do you think has the upper hand in the Brexit negotiations?

Britain 10
    Rest of EU 67
    Don't know 23

Feels gloomy man.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    You know what's funny. I have never seen a Remoaner or any EUphile counter the point that the EU hampers growth. I simply have not seen that argument ever put forth.
    Well, if you want to discuss this, you have to give more than just a random blanket statement? I mean you do not even state what you would compare here. A Britain that never joined? A Britain after Brexit? Growth is pretty complex. If you have a conclusive model that can display your reasoning, please present it. Otherwise, there is not really much to discuss in the first place, outside of randomly looking at graphs like those below you did, which do not mean jack or shit for the effects of EU membership on growth. The latter is a very complex topic in economics and if you wish to reduce any growth numbers to a single factor, you better be ready to deliver convincing proof for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Polls are such a waste of time. This one had an ever bigger lead for remain.

When a weighted sample of some 1,400 people were asked: “Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union, or leave the European Union?” – 51 per cent backed Remain, and 41 per cent backed Leave.

7 per cent said “don’t know” and 1 per cent refused to answer.

Fieldwork, August 2017. Pretty much the same as the graph two posts above this one.

Except the graph above this post goes on further than August showing more people are becoming sane and less are believing the stupid lies

Deleted
    At this point I only want to know what the Downing Street cat has to say.

a) does Larry give a crap
    b) is he as nihilistic as he looks like
    c) did he even vote
    d) if he ever pondered why the Chinese came up with a Dog zodiac and not a Cat one

10+ Year Old Account
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrPibs View Post
    i think you spent way to much time feeding a troll there :/. wasting your time is kinda what they want.
    Really, really? I never knew.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Customs union will likely stay, says Chancellor Hammond.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...u-after-brexit

baah, stop this nonsense already, will you ?

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post

Doesn't rule out = likely to stay?...

Also from the article itself:

The final arrangement would also look at “three strategic objectives”, said Hammond. They are “ensuring UK-EU trade is as frictionless as possible; avoiding a ‘hard border’ between Ireland and Northern Ireland; and establishing an independent international trade policy”.

Establishing independent international trade policy is not possible if the UK stays in the existing customs union, so that is clearly not the point he is making.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinch View Post
    Doesn't rule out = likely to stay?...

Also from the article itself:

The final arrangement would also look at “three strategic objectives”, said Hammond. They are “ensuring UK-EU trade is as frictionless as possible; avoiding a ‘hard border’ between Ireland and Northern Ireland; and establishing an independent international trade policy”.

Establishing independent international trade policy is not possible if the UK stays in the existing customs union, so that is clearly not the point he is making.
    I wonder how this is going to play out, because those three objectives are contradictory.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I wonder how this is going to play out, because those three objectives are contradictory.
    Likely the UK will just agree to keep the customs union with the way things seems to be going, if they want the soft border to stay.

UK politicians may want all 3, but if they actually try to push for it the reality of the EU having the upper hand in negotiations would soon come knocking.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    UK may try to square a circle. how important is independent trade for them, compared with NI's border ?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post

How does that even work?

Assuming the UK stays in the custom unions AND the UK negotiates import/export rules with other country like the US, canada, china... independently of the EU (once brexit is completed), how does that not make the UK a back door into the EU?

I really don't think the EU would appreciate losing control of all imports/exports on its territory.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    How does that even work?

Assuming the UK stays in the custom unions AND the UK negotiates import/export rules with other country like the US, canada, china... independently of the EU (once brexit is completed), how does that not make the UK a back door into the EU?

I really don't think the EU would appreciate losing control of all imports/exports on its territory.
    EU could outperform UK easily by negotiating their own agreements with such countries. CETA with Canada is already in effect in some areas, EPA with Japan is underway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Likely the UK will just agree to keep the customs union with the way things seems to be going, if they want the soft border to stay.

UK politicians may want all 3, but if they actually try to push for it the reality of the EU having the upper hand in negotiations would soon come knocking.
    reality dictates those positions is mutually incompatible.

- - - Updated - - -

How does that even work?

If the UK stays in the customs Union, (or creates a special one just for them) - Then the UK cant have an independent trade policy.
    that's sort of the definition of a customs union, a common trade policy -