I finally got a chance to see the movie last weekend, and overall I give it an 8/10 Finally watching the Royal Guard in action fighting against 2 Force wielders was epic. Snoke's Death was pretty anti climatic, but I appreciate them making Kylo who he is. I was not happy with how Luke was handled, but understand he didn't want Kylo to kill him so it made sense how it worked. I through the whole thing was like is there where they are going to kill Leia off? so that was fun. Id rate this better than TFW, because more lightsaber action. Not as good as Episode 1, but better than Old movies easily, I loved the original movies. But cannot stand to watch them anymore because of how shitty they are.

On my first viewing, I would have given TLJ maybe a 6/10. Thought the lightness at the start was unwarranted and out of place. Second time I saw it I really liked it a lot more. Context of what was going on helped a lot. Made rewatching TFA more interesting too, which I think is what the middle movie of a trilogy should do.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Look, if you and the other soy boys are happy with the direction Disney has taken Star Wars that's fine. No one will dispute it will still remain a licence to print money. Hell, as Kath Kennedy says herself, we don't need men to like the film because the extra women buying tickets will compensate. And to some extent she is right. But those of us who enjoy their science fiction free from political progressive agendas, well we are entitled to complain. Which we will.

But, do you really think the suits and the Disney shareholders are going to be thrilled that TLJ has had a 40% revenue drop from TFA?
    I don’t know who Kath Kennedy is because I’m not obsessed with making everything about my political tribe. You still haven’t been able to put into words what this new direction even is, other than vague whining about SJWs and for some reason soy.

Edit
    Oh, I watched Hudson's video, I guess "soy boy" is some alt-right slang I’m not familiar with. So clever.
    /Edit

TLJ had a lot of good gray morality. TFA had an interesting take on the dark side. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be so upset about, and think it’s likely all in your head if you can’t even outline the problems.
    Last edited by JerseyGhoul; 2018-01-09 at 03:25 PM.

Deleted
    Really? Are you being wilfully ignorant or deliberately obtuse?

If anyone is genuinely interested and not deliberately overlooking it, I recommend a quick youtube search for Star Wars and sjw and you will see hundreds if not thousands of videos of people explaining it a lot better than I can. My opinion the best one to watch is Gender Wars: The Last Snowflake by Sargon. It's a bit long at 30 mins but well worth the watch.

Disney, or more specifically Kath Kennedy and JJ Abrams is destroying the franchise through their agenda. Don't take my word for it, look at the box office takings. TLJ is doing worse that Rogue One, a filler movie between the big trilogy movies. Their great hope of raking in big dollars from China because 'diversity' has failed, box office receipts from there are abysmal. All they have to do to salvage the franchise is to stop pissing off half their audience, sack Kath Kennedy and get someone in there that knows how to tell a story.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly, even if you remove the sjw/feminism bullshit from the film, it's still objectively bad with major plot holes and side stories that go nowhere. It's easily the worst Star Wars film ever made yet you still have fanbois defending it through gritted teeth.
    Thanks, but I don't need to watch some random youtube videos to form my own opinion on the matter. And I'm not so insecure that I couldn't handle non-white non-males in leading roles.

And the only ones doing anything through gritted teeth are the haters who whine everywhere because they can't handle change.

- - - Updated - - -

Look, if you and the other soy boys are happy with the direction Disney has taken Star Wars that's fine. No one will dispute it will still remain a licence to print money. Hell, as Kath Kennedy says herself, we don't need men to like the film because the extra women buying tickets will compensate. And to some extent she is right. But those of us who enjoy their science fiction free from political progressive agendas, well we are entitled to complain. Which we will.

But, do you really think the suits and the Disney shareholders are going to be thrilled that TLJ has had a 40% revenue drop from TFA?
    If you think pre-disney star wars had no political agendas then you haven't really paid attention to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    What massive injury did Rey sustain?
    Dude are you insane? Or did you even watch the movie? She was hurled into a tree going 50 mph and fell 100% unconscious head first from about 2 stories up. Almost literally the first thing kylo did to her in the fight.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Dude are you insane? Or did you even watch the movie? She was hurled into a tree going 50 mph and fell 100% unconscious head first from about 2 stories up. Almost literally the first thing kylo did to her in the fight.
    Was she hurt by that? Visually in the movie? Or did she just come to and walk it off?
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2018-01-09 at 06:34 PM.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

In addition to what Elim Garak said about you comparing revenue over different time frames, there's also the fact that Empire Strikes Back made ~30% less than A New Hope. And Attack of the Clones made ~36% less than The Phantom Menace. So this isn't even anything new.

The Last Jedi might very well do better than the previous 2nd movies by the end of its run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

That throw was about the equivalent done to Anakin versus Dooku in AotC, and Obi Wan versus Dooku in RotS. Was that SJW pandering as well for them to get up shortly after those? Han fell about the same off the leisure boat into the sand pit of the Sarlacc (sand vs. snow comparison, go go!) and wasn't even knocked unconscious. Luke fell down a chute in Cloud City and only missed falling into an abyss by catching an antenna with his legs, which should have, at that speed, shorn his legs right off. The point is, protagonists generally don't get hurt like you would in the real world.

And to Elim, that's when Finn tries to wake her up for a few seconds, and then picks up the lightsaber to fight Kylo. That fight is over in literally seconds, and then Rey force pulls it to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Maybe it's because I was in the military, but all those women that Poe disobeyed outranked him. They have those ranks because they have experience. There really is no reason why an admiral should have to tell a captain her plan. IMO it was a young, impetuous person disobeying a superior officer because he thought he knew better and he didn't. I've seen that a lot.

Really, the admiral messed up by not putting Poe in the brig or confining him to his quarters when it was obvious he would be disobedient. AND he wasn't even punished at the end of the movie for getting half of the remaining rebels killed.
    She didn't have to tell Poe the plan, but when he asked she could have indicated there was at least something in the works beyond saying "have hope". She had people abandoning the fleet and instead of acting like a proper leader she was giving meaningless platitudes. I can't say I blame Poe or the other for the mutiny. At the same time Poe wasn't exactly wrong continuing the bombing run anyway because had they not taken out the Dreadnaught there was a very real and distinct possibility that the fleet wouldn't have made it out of orbit.

Frankly, I hold Haldo as much to blame for the rebel losses at the end as I do Poe, maybe even more. As for him not being punished they made it pretty clear that Leia and Haldo liked him and his potential and basically gave him a pass with a boys will be boys knowing glance. Everything about the chase, the plan, and the outcome were pretty terrible.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

God soy boys.... do you ever get tired of making a joke of your self? I mean really what do you think you are a nord or some old timy peasant who thinks calling people milk drinkers is a cunning insult?

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    That throw was about the equivalent done to Anakin versus Dooku in AotC, and Obi Wan versus Dooku in RotS. Was that SJW pandering as well for them to get up shortly after those? Han fell about the same off the leisure boat into the sand pit of the Sarlacc (sand vs. snow comparison, go go!) and wasn't even knocked unconscious. Luke fell down a chute in Cloud City and only missed falling into an abyss by catching an antenna with his legs, which should have, at that speed, shorn his legs right off. The point is, protagonists generally don't get hurt like you would in the real world.

And to Elim, that's when Finn tries to wake her up for a few seconds, and then picks up the lightsaber to fight Kylo. That fight is over in literally seconds, and then Rey force pulls it to her.
    She was hurt. Period. And again you're comparing two people with a decade in the former or decades for the latter of force training to help with their fighting stamina, and even using the force to soften the blow. The point people keep harping on is Kylo was injured and some how magically that made it so Rey wasn't some stupidly over powered mary sue. So was Rey. And what they documented is it's a pretty bad fall. Seriously your own points contradict each other. You say Han wasn't knocked out, she was. Which flies right in the face of your protagonist plot armor excuse because if it was a hard enough hit to punch through even your excuse armor that fits right into my point it was a serious and painful injury.

Oh Luke's catch was defiantly bullshit. Explain to me how that makes Rey's make sense? The whole "it's a movie so we can't call out dumb shit that doesn't make sense" is also the world's most idiotic and pointless cop out argument. If rey started farting lightning out of her ass I can take issue with that just fine and your attempts at "but but the force" will still be bad counters. I'm not sure if you're one of those people but you don't get to make the whole Kylo was injured argument and make up bullshit to ignore Reys. You being okay with bad writing is your choice but that doesn't excuse it nor does other examples of non-sense physics.

And that wasn't sand vs. snow. That was Sand vs nice rocky ground. Unless you think 1/10th of an inch of snow is a magical cushion. Having actually run around the sand dunes in Death Valley multiple times as a kid about the only way you're going to injure yourself on a sand dune is if you fall and get a mouth full of sand or twist an ankle. Unless we're talking multiple feet of snow(which is wasn't) you're not getting any cushioning effect. Watch the movie again. She didn't fall into some massive snow drift. She fell straight onto frozen ground with a pinch of snow covering the top.

So again Rey, Injured. Kylo Injured. Who's more/less irrelevant because both sustained serious injuries. Kylo decade plus of intense force and martial arts training. Rey street fighter. Kylo amped up by dark side powers from anger caused by said injury and told by us to be massively powerful enough to scare Luke Skywalker also powerful. Rey, found out the force existed 2 hours ago. The entire fight should've been Kylo toying with her to show his dominance in the force with that cliche ground split being her saving grace. As it is they ruined two characters. Kylo turned into a bitch who I thought they did well most of the movie and boring as Rey is just now makes batman and superman's plot armor look like tissue paper.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce

10+ Year Old Account
    She was hurt. Period.
    She wasn't, comma, because she was fine.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

My point is that protagonists have to go through conflict, but then they also have to quickly recover from it, BECAUSE IT'S A MOVIE.

It's something you just have to handwave away. It happens in all movies. Do you think Bruce Willis would have really made it to the end of Die Hard without serious hospitalization?

Do you think Liam Neeson can really hand-to-hand fight half of Europe to find his daughter?

Man, did you even see the first season of Netflix's The Punisher? Dude should have been dead in episode 1.

That's how entertainment is made, because we can't have a 5 hour movie where 4 hours of it is Rey recovering from a concussion.

Edit: The larger problem is - no one calls it out when it's Bruce Willis or Liam Neeson or Frank Castle. But for some reason, they do here, when the protagonist is a woman. Bruce is a cop, Liam is former CIA, Frank is former spec-ops, and Rey has lived for more than a decade as a hand-to-mouth scavenger on a lawless world. Only one of those backgrounds is questioned in re: the toughness of the character, and it happens to be the character who is a woman. I know a shit ton of cops who have never pulled their gun and are 50 pounds overweight, and I'm sure there's CIA people who sit at a desk for their whole lives (Jack Ryan, another good example of what I'm talking about - a desk jockey who becomes an action hero). But those generalized backgrounds are fine for those two characters, because.........?
    Last edited by eschatological; 2018-01-09 at 07:59 PM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    These new movies are trying to create their own path and not always be compared to the original trio like the prequels we're (and died by)

That's not what pandering means
    "Create their own path", by doing everything the old movies did, scene-by-scene?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Bob Chipman continues to prove he is an idiot.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    "Create their own path", by doing everything the old movies did, scene-by-scene?
    Did you see TLJ?

She woke up and was fine. Basically just a weird assumption by @Shimmerra.
    Today I learned that being knocked unconscious is not considered an injury. But like only if you’re a woman or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Raego View Post
    I, uh, what...where....how????
    Don't even get them started, IMO. Anyone who goes to watch a Star Wars movie with such an obvious political axe to grind isn't worth anyone else's time if you ask me. It's the same as the people who screeched about how AotC was totally an Iraq Wars allegory because people fought in the desert.

She woke up and was fine. Basically just a weird assumption by @Shimmerra.
    Yeah I've been thrown in fights. Not nearly as hard or as high. It hurts. And I was knocked out for a few seconds when we're talking a height of no more than 5 feet. To be fair it was tile and I landed head first. But I think rey's 20 feet or so plus frozen ground are just a bit worse.

The only thing that's weird is that people like you don't think falling face first into the ground isn't painful. And the single argument that any of you yahoos might have in your defense is that it could be pretty low gravity. It's a bad one but it's at least something.

Apparently Kylo's force powers are just like a nice vigorous tickle to you. Strong enough to stop a blaster bolt, not strong enough to hurt Rey when throwing her smashing her into a tree with if I recall enough force to shake the whole tree. Yeah. I'm the weirdo.

The fact that she woke up and was fine is exactly the problem. It's like if Kylo was shot in the shoulder and two seconds later we see him pitching a MLB game with that same arm. One you're weirdly okay with though. Again even you said it with her "she woke up". She was literally hurled hard enough to be knocked unconscious. That's a hard hit.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2018-01-09 at 09:47 PM.
    Ambrose Bierce

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I've been thrown in fights. Not nearly as hard or as high. It hurts. And I was knocked out for a few seconds when we're talking a height of no more than 5 feet. To be fair it was tile and I landed head first. But I think rey's 20 feet or so plus frozen ground are just a bit worse.
    And I know of a guy who fell off a balcony on 8th floor, stood up off the ground and went back home.

Shit happens.

This is the best movie review you will ever see. Guaranteed to laugh your ass off. Also check out his channel for more reviews. His Alien: Covenant review is really funny too!

Enjoy guys and gals. You will not be disappointed.