Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I doubt I'm the one missing the point here. I've been playing various MMOs over the years. I've seen people starting them as new players. What I've never seen is someone asking to know what is "current" content before even starting to play. They all went at the game with knife, fork and hammer, eager to discover, explore, experience whatever the game offered because it was all new. Your hypothetical new player is a bad strawman, another excuse to whine when the game does not offer everything on a silver plate - despite the fact that WoW actually already offers more than most other games or than what I consider healthy.

But by all means, keep dreaming of new players to cover your own lack of commitment.
    You really did miss the whole point, holy...

Look Angemon I don't think I can help you if you missed the whole point of my post. I was not talking about the content being current content or not. Nor did I make reference if the content is new or not.

May the digigods bless you and your cringe avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Just like achievements is a system that gives you the ability to measure accomplishments and earn titles and mounts, and some of those are from Wrath, and some are from BC and Vanilla. (read: content from the previous expansion that you have to go back to).
    Achievements weren't gated behind buying WotLK, they just came with 3.0.2 prepatch.
    Imagine the confusion of a newbie that starts up wow with no characters at Wrath launch, and sees DK, wow, but they have to level something to 55, over the course of tens of hours of /palyed time, and then abandon that first character to level a new one to play DK?
    DKs started at level 55, so it wasn't really prerequisite, just a system to prevent mass creation of high level characters. There isn't a single reason to gate allied races though.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Shot89 View Post
    Sorry but i am not going further since you completely miss the point and difference between level requirment and reputation/achievement.

Your example just show how you can't put a serious counter-argument.

1) Cloud serpent is NOT a BfA feature. It's not something a player see on BfA Box or site and not something he expect to have as soon as he log in game.

2) DK. First of all, back in WoTLK there was not a free max level boost. So yeah, you level something to 55 and then go ahead as DK, either way it's like you level only ONE character. With allied race, i need to (if i want them fast) use a boost on a character i probably won't use in the near future. Grind rep/ach. And then, level a new character.

Again, I DO NOT SAY that leveling or doing the rep/ach is HARD or is BAD per se. It's just not logic and not FLUENT for a race that can be a selling point for a lot of new players.
    1) Those four races are also not BfA features. The Allied race system is. "What do you mean I have to do Vanilla, BC and Wrath stuff to do archaeology?!"

2) You realize that leveling to 55 in Wrath absolutely took longer in game time than it does to unlock these races, right? You need to level ONE character for the allied races. You are either using the boost on a character you wont use (so you aren't leveling it) or you are using it on the new character (so you aren't leveling that).

It's completely logical. The selling point isn't "Buy this expansion and get 6 free races" it's "This expansion introduces allied races that you can work with and bring to your side in the war, unlocking the ability to play as them."

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Achievements weren't gated behind buying WotLK, they just came with 3.0.2 prepatch.

DKs started at level 55, so it wasn't really prerequisite, just a system to prevent mass creation of high level characters. There isn't a single reason to gate allied races though.
    What a weird strawman. If they were regular races you just automatically have, they'd still be gated behind the expansion purchase.

55 is a prerequisite. You have to level a character to 55 (that isn't the DK) to unlock the ability to make a DK. Allied Races aren't "Gated" the whole point of the system is unlocking them. You might as well whine about achievements being gated behind old content.

Seriously, will this help you guys:

Last edited by Hitei; 2018-01-10 at 06:04 PM.

1) Those four races are also not BfA features. The Allied race system is. "What do you mean I have to do Vanilla, BC and Wrath stuff to do archaeology?!"

2) You realize that leveling to 55 in Wrath absolutely took longer in game time than it does to unlock these races, right? You need to level ONE character for the allied races. You are either using the boost on a character you wont use (so you aren't leveling it) or you are using it on the new character (so you aren't leveling that).

It's completely logical. The selling point isn't "Buy this expansion and get 6 free races" it's "This expansion introduces allied races that you can work with and bring to your side in the war, unlocking the ability to play as them."
    As a new player, the DK unlock was effectively like levelling 1 new character from scratch(which is what I did, as I was a new player at the time). You levelled your first character to 55, and then you effectively got offered a "class transfer" to DK. It did not require you to go out of your way.
    And those new races are DEFINITELY a BfA feature, including the "system" of having to do quests to unlock them. It's one of the main things Blizzard advertises.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Deleted
    "New allied races are not BFA features"

*go to battle for Azeroth webpage to learn more*
    *first advertised feature is Allied races*

WOW, it is almost like its the key selling point for the expansion or something...

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I've heard a few people bring up an interesting point about buying the BFA expansion, with a perk being Allied Races, but then also having to "unlock" them and it feels weird you can't automatically get them for the purchase.

For me personally, I already have the achievements I need to play all the races so this doesn't apply to me, but I find the principle an interesting discussion point.

Do you think it's a valid concern that you have to "unlock" allied races that are pitched as a perk of buying the BFA expansion? Like you would have to "unlock" a Demon Hunter, even though you bought the expansion it and it was pitched as a main feature.

Or do you consider it something like buying an expansion with the opportunity to unlock said allied races, sort of like you buy Legion, but you don't automatically get access to 110. You have to work through the levels. Or although you bought Legion to play a Demon Hunter, you still had to level it. (Or do you contest those are even fair analogies).

On the other hand, the unlock requirements for the Legion-based allied races are... Legion content technically.
    You don't need BFA to get the 7.3 Allied races so im not sure what you're talking about. We haven't been told how to unlock the BFA allied races.

15+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't this apply to Death Knights as well? Or did they remove the requirement of having a level 55 on your account to create them? If they did, then they probably remove the requirement for the Allied Races later too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    As a new player, the DK unlock was effectively like levelling 1 new character from scratch(which is what I did, as I was a new player at the time). You levelled your first character to 55, and then you effectively got offered a "class transfer" to DK. It did not require you to go out of your way.
    And those new races are DEFINITELY a BfA feature, including the "system" of having to do quests to unlock them. It's one of the main things Blizzard advertises.
    It did. Because you just leveled a character to 55 (read: hours of game time in Vanilla) to play something else. Hm. Why does that sound familiar?

The system is a BfA feature. The four races are not. Wow, I wonder why all of their stuff is being completed as part of the 7.3.5 patch, and not being witheld for the 8.0 prepatch? It's almost like it's because these Legion groups of races that are involved in Legion content and being introduced in a Legion patch are part of Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by KronosIII View Post
    "New allied races are not BFA features"

*go to battle for Azeroth webpage to learn more*
    *first advertised feature is Allied races*

WOW, it is almost like its the key selling point for the expansion or something...
    "Vanilla and BC achievements are not Wrath features"

*go to WotLK webpage to learn more*
    *achievements are an advertised feature*

Wow, it's almost like systems get advertised even when part of their content is for previous expansions!

It did. Because you just leveled a character to 55 (read: hours of game time in Vanilla) to play something else. Hm. Why does that sound familiar?
    Again, you're missing the entire point. Levelling to 55 did not require going out of your way and doing something you otherwise would not. Levelling up is the initial "goal" of the game. Then at 55 you got the option to switch to DK, without some idiotic "and now go to Eastern Plaguelands and spend 2-3 weeks farming rep before you're allowed to play a DK"

- - - Updated - - -

"Vanilla and BC achievements are not Wrath features"

*go to WotLK webpage to learn more*
    *achievements are an advertised feature*

Wow, it's almost like systems get advertised even when part of their content is for previous expansions!
    There's a huge difference between adding achievements(99% extremely trivial "kill X") to previous expansions retroactively and having the entirety of the allied races system be in previous expansion content.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Again, you're missing the entire point. Levelling to 55 did not require going out of your way and doing something you otherwise would not. Levelling up is the initial "goal" of the game. Then at 55 you got the option to switch to DK, without some idiotic "and now go to Eastern Plaguelands and spend 2-3 weeks farming rep before you're allowed to play a DK"
    Leveling up a character you are not going to play is NOT the initial goal of the game. And I'm willing to bet it is quicker for you to level from 0 to 110, do the reps and unlock allied races than it is to level 1-55 in Wrath.

There's a huge difference between adding achievements(99% extremely trivial "kill X") to previous expansions retroactively and having the entirety of the allied races system be in previous expansion content.
    That's my whole point, guy. You are wrong.

It's not the entirety of the allied races system. It's the initial four races.

There are two more that are BfA content. The slides at Blizzcon indicated there would be even more in patches after release. Wow, look at that. Just like achievements, its a system that adds content for previous expansions, and the upcoming expansion, and can be used in future expansions.
    Last edited by Hitei; 2018-01-10 at 06:14 PM.

Leveling up a character you are not going to play is NOT the initial goal of the game. And I'm willing to bet it is quicker for you to level from 0 to 110, do the reps and unlock allied races than it is to level 1-55 in Wrath.
    Considering you need exalted with the factions, not even close. And it's not a "character you are not going to play", it's just how they chose handling not having DKs go through the low level zones because they thought it would be silly. The DK is meant to essentially be a continuation of the previous character(but I guess Blizzard didn't want you to lose the character you spent time levelling or something). And either way, you get the unlock by playing the game normally, rather than having to jump through a bunch of time gated hoops like with allied races.
    Just as a side note, none of this affects me, I have all the requirements, I just think it's an extremely dumb way of implementing the new races(and masking it behind "it's a totally new system!1!1" doesn't make it any less dumb)
    Last edited by Tradu; 2018-01-10 at 06:17 PM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

I really don't think there's anything to get riled up about. You unlock the races by playing the game. And heck, you can work on their requirements right now. It's not like these races need to be purchased with real money on top of the expansion purchase. Now that would be a betrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Buying BFA but still having to "Unlock" Allied Races
    Damn those greedy Blizzard developers, now they will also require us to unlock level 110, and look at all those bosses I have to kill to get gear from them. Insanity.

Seriously though, there's nothing interesting to talk about here. Playing is part of the enjoyment of a game. If you get all the stuff without playing then where's the fun of the game?

Considering you need exalted with the factions, not even close. And it's not a "character you are not going to play", it's just how they chose handling not having DKs go through the low level zones because they thought it would be silly. The DK is meant to essentially be a continuation of the previous character(but I guess Blizzard didn't want you to lose the character you spent time levelling or something). And either way, you get the unlock by playing the game normally, rather than having to jump through a bunch of time gated hoops like with allied races.
    Just as a side note, none of this affects me, I have all the requirements, I just think it's an extremely dumb way of implementing the new races(and masking it behind "it's a totally new system!1!1" doesn't make it any less dumb)
    Considering you need exalted with the factions, not even close. And it's not a "character you are not going to play", it's just how they chose handling not having DKs go through the low level zones because they thought it would be silly. The DK is meant to essentially be a continuation of the previous character. And either way, you get the unlock by playing the game normally, rather than having to jump through a bunch of time gated hoops like with allied races.
    Considering that exalted is a joke, yes, very close. It is a character you are not going to play. You do not get the items you earned on that other character, or the rep, or the gold without sending it. You didn't get the mount you bought, or the name, you lose all profession progress and non-first aid secondary professions. You lost your friends list and all the spells you were used to using. Any gold spent on training spells is gone.

All of that is out the window.

Doing old content if you want rewards from that content is very much playing the game normally. I would have thought that really obvious from the way mounts, titles and transmog work.

There's no mask. It is a new system. It's not my problem you are literally incapable of registering that allied races and regular races are not the same thing despite the fact that everywhere they appear it talks about you working to bring them into the faction and unlock them.

All this crying about having to gain rep for allied races, when it's extremely likely there will be a mechanic built into BFA to do this while going through the effort to "rally" your allies to your cause.

That said, expecting new players to go back and do content that everyone else had to do in order to unlock the same things isn't exactly mind-blowing for an MMO. May as well just ask Blizzard to bring in paid loot crates since the idea of grinding is so incredibly unreasonable.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

I wouldn't mind it if it were only quest gated. But grinding Army of Light and Argussian Reach rep to exalted is hell.

That is very untrue. Leveling to 55, while not as fast as right now, was still fairly quick back in Wrath. Reputation gains in Legion is also gated. Once you do all the world quests for that day, you're done.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

The DK is meant to essentially be a continuation of the previous character(but I guess Blizzard didn't want you to lose the character you spent time levelling or something)
    This was originally intended to be the case. It was not at launch, so approaching it from this lore angle is a little flimsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    It’s not misleading at all they also play up raids as a new feture and you have to actively play the game to do thoses to. If you want things in the game you should have to play the bloody game to get them.
    I get the feeling he didn't like the idea of having to play the game to get/unlock stuff and expected people to agree with him. Now they're disagreeing instead of flocking too him, he's trying to dial it back a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyorkbourne View Post
    I get the feeling he didn't like the idea of having to play the game to get/unlock stuff and expected people to agree with him. Now they're disagreeing instead of flocking too him, he's trying to dial it back a bit.
    He didn't like Blizzard forcing new players to play content, which will become more and more outdated with every coming patch, to unlock one of the major features of new expansion. It's like having you kill Kil'Jaeden in Sunwell 20 times (on one character) to unlock access to ToS.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Putting a gate behind allied races is silly. It also hurts brand new players to the game. I suspect blizzard will remove the requirements at some point.