Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    There's no escaping the floof no matter what. Try as you might but eventually you accept your fate.
    Look at this floof monster

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Look at this floof monster
    Oh mah gawd

Looks like mine. I'll have to post a picture later when I can

10+ Year Old Account
    My floof currently is sporting th cone of shame

Anyways I'd imagine car cafes completely separate the cooking area to comply with health codes.

Also maybe the cat cafe could provide a small discount to locals to help calm the gentrification fear?

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    My floof currently is sporting th cone of shame

Anyways I'd imagine car cafes completely separate the cooking area to comply with health codes.

Also maybe the cat cafe could provide a small discount to locals to help calm the gentrification fear?
    Yea that would probably be a good move. Tbh, I always saw cat cafes as like "fancy" shelters since they help promote adoption. So they might get to skirt under some rules on sanitary regulations due to that bit about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Well, what happens is: say you're renting an apartment for $300 when suddenly the hipsters decide that your neighborhood is "hip" and they start moving in and buying places up. Suddenly your rent goes up to $500. The hipsters renovate a lot of the old properties in the neighborhood and now other people decide it would be a nice place to live too. Your rent goes up to $700 and you can't afford that and you have to move.

This happens to minorities a lot.
    Only in America can improving a neighborhood be turned into a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Only in America can improving a neighborhood be turned into a bad thing.
    If only people were paid comfortably enough to afford sudden spikes in rent.

A lot of people are currently shit out of luck if they so much as experience a 100 dollar increase in their daily expenses.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post

A lot of people are currently shit out of luck if they so much as experience a 100 dollar increase in their daily expenses.
    if you're spending 100$ extra per day, then you probably developed a drug habit.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

wait wait wait... "defend our hoods"? these people want the areas they live in to look like shitheaps?

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    wait wait wait... "defend our hoods"? these people want the areas they live in to look like shitheaps?
    I haven't looked into them at all, and from the videos I saw they were pretty shitty people tbh. I want to believe they are against the whole "our cost of living is going to go up because richer people move in" kinda part of gentrification, but from what i saw in the videos... it seems far from that. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    I haven't looked into them at all, and from the videos I saw they were pretty shitty people tbh. I want to believe they are against the whole "our cost of living is going to go up because richer people move in" kinda part of gentrification, but from what i saw in the videos... it seems far from that. >.>
    i guess i'd kind of agree with them on that.

but keeping the area looking shitty and crime infested isn't the answer. the government should step in and straight up tell people they can't jack up housing prices anywhere.

Sounds like a need for anti-gentrification laws more than anything.

Like a law that puts a cap on how much % you can raise the rent every year, following inflation and a bit more so landlords don't get stiffed either.

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    Sounds like a need for anti-gentrification laws more than anything.

Like a law that puts a cap on how much % you can raise the rent every year, following inflation and a bit more so landlords don't get stiffed either.
    landlords should get stiffed, the filthy bastards.

10+ Year Old Account
    landlords should get stiffed, the filthy bastards.
    All that would do is make apartments and homes harder to get, increasing the homeless population.

All that would do is make apartments and homes harder to get, increasing the homeless population.
    let the government hand out some standard housing then.

saw on the news that russia was doing something to some of the old soviet union government issued houses, and people were not happy at all. they seemed to love their issued houses.

10+ Year Old Account
    let the government hand out some standard housing then.

saw on the news that russia was doing something to some of the old soviet union government issued houses, and people were not happy at all. they seemed to love their issued houses.
    cant do that without landlords. The government doesn't run housing like that, they basically assist landlords through stuff like section 8 instead of running stuff themselves.

cant do that without landlords. The government doesn't run housing like that, they basically assist landlords through stuff like section 8 instead of running stuff themselves.
    well, the government should.

if it were up to me, it'd basically be a basic starting point. you get a small house, some essentials. from there on you can work or survive on the minimal things you have.

Well, what happens is: say you're renting an apartment for $300 when suddenly the hipsters decide that your neighborhood is "hip" and they start moving in and buying places up. Suddenly your rent goes up to $500. The hipsters renovate a lot of the old properties in the neighborhood and now other people decide it would be a nice place to live too. Your rent goes up to $700 and you can't afford that and you have to move.

An uncle up in Denver did the same thing with an old black couple, raised 'em out and turned the building into a club. Now he's chiding people doing the exact thing he did. And it's one of his lesser cases of his (lack of)self awareness.

10+ Year Old Account
    And IIRC Austin has it pretty bad in that regard. At least I see a lot when I'm there. It's a shame

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post

Those situations are often regrettable, honestly it would be better if the government protected those type of residents from rent increases if they happen to live in this type of area.

well, the government should.

if it were up to me, it'd basically be a basic starting point. you get a small house, some essentials. from there on you can work or survive on the minimal things you have.
    You cant scale that type of management which is why all government housing eventually goes to shit.

Well, then you will have to change either IRS Tax laws or the local tax laws. Things get murky when property taxes rise and you dont raise rents to cover the additional costs. Taking year over year passive income losses raises red flags to the IRS and I believe they limit the amount of loss you can claim.