Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day Everyone!

For all the people that protested and resisted in the name of Civil Rights, thank you for your service and sacrifice.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    For all the people that protested and resisted in the name of Civil Rights, thank you for your service and sacrifice.

He was a great man, worthy of admiration. And yes, thanks to those who followed his advocacy of non violent and peaceful protests.

It's lit. Gonna get drunk AF, fam #MLCRAY

I know how the kids talk these days.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post

Pretty sure you nailed it.
    120 | 110 | 110 | 110 | 101 | 101 | 101 | 100
    91 | 91 | 80 | 70 | 70 | 60 | 60

The MLCRAY took me longer than I'd care to admit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Would MLK really be OK with the retaliatory actions of the Black Lives Matter group?
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

I'm gonna celebrate with a bucket of chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Would MLK really be OK with the retaliatory actions of the Black Lives Matter group?
    Of course not. He's been rolling in his grave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never heard of him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Of course not. He's been rolling in his grave.
    This. He would be chewing their asses out.

Thanks for the laugh !

Probably not, he complained a lot about police brutality and was jailed for a long time even though he didn't commit a crime.

"The negro finds himself exiled in his own land"

That's a damn good line.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's see...

Urban riots must now be recognized as durable social phenomena. They may be deplored, but they are there and should be understood. Urban riots are a special form of violence. They are not insurrections. The rioters are not seeking to seize territory or to attain control of institutions. They are mainly intended to shock the white community. They are a distorted form of social protest. The looting which is their principal feature serves many functions. It enables the most enraged and deprived Negro to take hold of consumer goods with the ease the white man does by using his purse. Often the Negro does not even want what he takes; he wants the experience of taking. But most of all, alienated from society and knowing that this society cherishes property above people, he is shocking it by abusing property rights. There are thus elements of emotional catharsis in the violent act. This may explain why most cities in which riots have occurred have not had a repetition, even though the causative conditions remain. It is also noteworthy that the amount of physical harm done to white people other than police is infinitesimal and in Detroit whites and Negroes looted in unity.

A profound judgment of today’s riots was expressed by Victor Hugo a century ago. He said, ‘If a soul is left in the darkness, sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness.’

The policymakers of the white society have caused the darkness; they create discrimination; they structured slums; and they perpetuate unemployment, ignorance and poverty. It is incontestable and deplorable that Negroes have committed crimes; but they are derivative crimes. They are born of the greater crimes of the white society. When we ask Negroes to abide by the law, let us also demand that the white man abide by law in the ghettos. Day-in and day-out he violates welfare laws to deprive the poor of their meager allotments; he flagrantly violates building codes and regulations; his police make a mockery of law; and he violates laws on equal employment and education and the provisions for civic services. The slums are the handiwork of a vicious system of the white society; Negroes live in them but do not make them any more than a prisoner makes a prison. Let us say boldly that if the violations of law by the white man in the slums over the years were calculated and compared with the law-breaking of a few days of riots, the hardened criminal would be the white man. These are often difficult things to say but I have come to see more and more that it is necessary to utter the truth in order to deal with the great problems that we face in our society.

- Speech at the American Psychology Associations’ annual convention in Washington, DC, in September 1967
    The answer is no, he wouldn't necessarily be 'okay' with violent protests but he would probably advocate putting the blame where it belongs - on the system - rather than blaming black people for being 'ungrateful' or whatever the All Lives Matter crowd believes in these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Probably not, he complained a lot about police brutality and was jailed for a long time even though he didn't commit a crime.

He would have not endorsed some of their tactics. He was always very clear about non violent and lawful demonstrations. I know, I was there during his time.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    He would have not endorsed some of their tactics. He was always very clear about non violent and lawful demonstrations. I know, I was there during his time.
    Damn you old
    Well of course I'd like to sit around and chat.
    Well of course I'd like to stay and chew the fat.
    But someone's listening in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Shoplifter View Post
    Damn you old
    I am ancient. But the Lord has blessed me with good health and I practice good health.

Uh, you're wrong. He was about non-violent civil disobedience. That means breaking the law. He was arrested on many occasions for breaking laws he felt were unjust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm this smacks of dwelling on the gentrified version of King. Popular with privileged internet denizens. While also ignoring the many lawful and peaceful demonstrations over the past two years.
    The idea that King would oppose this generation’s most prominent struggle for racial justice is absurd, of course, but appreciate the recent New Yorker cover making the point explicitly that Kaep and Michael Bennett and the rest of those who kneel and march in service of justice today are firmly in keeping with King’s legacy. In his time, King was in many ways an American radical.

He wasn’t murdered for being a moderate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Hmmm this smacks of dwelling on the gentrified version of King. Popular with privileged internet denizens. While also ignoring the many lawful and peaceful demonstrations over the past two years.
    The idea that King would oppose this generation’s most prominent struggle for racial justice is absurd, of course, but appreciate the recent New Yorker cover making the point explicitly that Kaep and Michael Bennett and the rest of those who kneel and march in service of justice today are firmly in keeping with King’s legacy. In his time, King was in many ways an American radical.

He wasn’t murdered for being a moderate.

the funniest, but also sad, parts are when some people think he would be conservative in modern times..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Uh, you're wrong. He was about non-violent civil disobedience. That means breaking the law. He was arrested on many occasions for breaking laws he felt were unjust.
    You are correct. He was arrested 29 times, but never spent anytime in prison. I think because of his advocacy for non violent protests. But I never remember him harming others in any of his protests, but was exercising his rights under the Constitution. However he did accept the Supreme Court's ruling on the subject and said he was willing to accept the consequences. But he success was largely in part because of his strong advocacy of non violence.