Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Okay, so this guy says the same thing you did, but how does he know this? Is there an article somewhere that says Disney put Rose into the movie for this reason? Did someone that work at Disney reveal this information? Someone that worked on the film that said this?
    Are you suggesting that Hollywood would NEVER pander to appease somebody?

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    Are you suggesting that Hollywood would NEVER pander to appease somebody?
    No, I'm stating that presuming that's the case is different than knowing that's the case. Just because some random person says it does not mean it's true.

Doesn't China hate Star Wars in general, even without admiral purple hair, Finn, Rose or Rey?All movies went terrible there...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    Doesn't China hate Star Wars in general, even without admiral purple hair, Finn, Rose or Rey?All movies went terrible there...
    Indeed they do! "Star Wars" didn't come over to them in the 70's, or 80's or...well, almost never until very recently. Only sketchy bootleg copies were available for a long time. There's no nostalgia for them. There aren't generations of kids raised on space soaps over there. To them Star Wars is just another sci-fi movie.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account

I would also be insulted if they cast a German to play a Slav character. They may be both in Europe but they're 2 different people.
    As far as I know, a long time ago, there was no China in a galaxy far, far away. So why should the Chinese be incensed that a Vietnamese woman play a Resistance fighter named Rose Tico, a name that doesn't even sound Chinese?
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    As far as I know, a long time ago, there was no China in a galaxy far, far away. So why should the Chinese be incensed that a Vietnamese woman play a Resistance fighter named Rose Tico, a name that doesn't even sound Chinese?
    I think it's the fact that the movie seems to be saying that any Asian looks like Chinese, which made them angry.
    And wasn't there something about Viet War?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    so i saw this today. apperntly some one "De-Feminized" the movie. rather odd.

""The Last Jedi De-Feminized Fanedit" cuts the vast majority of female characters out of the film."

"Phasma is finished after the first blow by Finn. (Women are naturally weaker than men, she isn't force-sensitive, and we know nothing about any exo-skeleton in her suit)"

" Luke doesn't Force Hologram his way into the ending -- he actually shows up to save the day, only to die from the first shot from a walker. "

this seems like a gem.

http://www.dorkly.com/post/85800/sta...-edit-no-women
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2018-01-17 at 11:29 PM.

I think it's the fact that the movie seems to be saying that any Asian looks like Chinese, which made them angry.
    When does the movie say this?

10+ Year Old Account
    This guy got it right. That is exactly what I think about the rabids...

"Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    This guy got it right. That is exactly what I think about the rabids...

huh i didn't know there were 9 movie planned originally shame we never got the last 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post

""The Last Jedi De-Feminized Fanedit" cuts the vast majority of female characters out of the film."

"Phasma is finished after the first blow by Finn. (Women are naturally weaker than men, she isn't force-sensitive, and we know nothing about any exo-skeleton in her suit)"

" Luke doesn't Force Hologram his way into the ending -- he actually shows up to save the day, only to die from the first shot from a walker. "

this seems like a gem.

Sounds like an elaborate troll to trigger people, that was Rian Johnson's take on it at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Erinhia View Post
    I mean the article you linked gives reasons why the author believes the movie failed to make much money and none of it is about diversity or any of that. His explanations actually sound quite well-reasoned. Interesting article.
    They reject your reality and replace it with political bias.

10+ Year Old Account
    And wasn't there something about Viet War?
    Wat? Are we watching the same movie?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Sounds like an elaborate troll to trigger people, that was Rian Johnson's take on it at least.
    That seems like a lot of work just to troll people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    I forgot that gem: before the First Order storms the secret base on Non-Hoth, the rebels are manning trenches. Trenches. That is so frigging ridiculous.
    That falls under "suspension of disbelief necessary because Star Wars uses WWI/WWII movies as the reference for its battle scenes", like how bombers literally drop bombs vertically and why starfighters move like airplanes.

If you want to talk about ridiculous stuff in that battle, how about the fact that the Resistance gets into some rickety old speeders... which are UNARMED, and charge the lines of walkers in order to slow down the cannon (because only the cannon can get through that metal door because the writer said so). Many of them die in the attack, but just as they get within range of the cannon they break off. Finn charges the cannon and everyone is shocked that he's about to do a suicide run on the cannon.

WHAT ELSE WERE THEY PLANNING TO DO? They had no weapons, obviously the only reason for that battle at all is to ram the Imperial forces. Turns out they were too late anyway and the cannon breaks down the door, so they limp back to base having taken a bunch of losses for literally no reason. They didn't even slow it down, it literally fired as soon as it was charged, if they'd stayed in the base playing poker instead the result would've been exactly the same and heaps of Resistance pilots wouldn't have died.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    Movie logic aside, if they were planning to abandon the lead rebel ship anyway and they knew the big ol bad guys ship couldn't hit their smaller ships they were escaping on, why didn't they just try the hyperspace kamikaze attack right away instead of waiting for the neo-space nazis to pick off most of their individual ships during the retreat? I am going with the assumption it was just a pulled out of ass last minuet idea.

And the fuck was the point of the Luke death fake out, only for him to kick the bucket anyway?
    Or all of the ships that perished beforehand, eg the frigate.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2018-01-18 at 05:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Wat? Are we watching the same movie?
    By Viet War I mean, don't the Chinese hate Viets for that reason or something?

this seems like a gem.

Can't wait for the MRA edit of Thelma and Louise lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    That falls under "suspension of disbelief necessary because Star Wars uses WWI/WWII movies as the reference for its battle scenes", like how bombers literally drop bombs vertically and why starfighters move like airplanes.

If you want to talk about ridiculous stuff in that battle, how about the fact that the Resistance gets into some rickety old speeders... which are UNARMED
    Lining up in front of it with small arms when you're facing war machines that are 100 meters tall is seriously stupid. It would be one thing if they had a legitimate reason to be manning the trenches like repelling ground troops but as it is their actions ran counter to the plan of hiding behind the door.

They were armed, the outrigger side had blaster cannons mounted to it, you can see them melt away as Finn flies up the beam.

- - - Updated - - -

That seems like a lot of work just to troll people.
    I dunno, it got news articles about it by all the usual suspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    There were no force fields in TLJ. There was that yuge vertical blast door in the mountain which could be breached only horisontally with a very powerful weapon because that's what the door was designed for. So they had such a weapon sadly it wasn't mountable on a bomber. And rebels have destroyed the yuge space destroyer with similar weapons in the beginning of the movie. Apparently it was one of a kind.

So trenches again.

Force Fields require lots of energy you don't run them hot unless they are needed. Hence the Poe tactics, he was a lone starfighter trying to "negotiate" and then he caught them by surprise, remember the SPEED BOOST?
    Why would you not blow him away the first second he showed up. It is a fucking stupidly morornic scene to appease the braindead marvel crowd.

- - - Updated - - -

So in TFA the resistance could hyperspace into a planets atmosphere but in TLJ the First Order couldn't hyperspace into empty space.....the first order juat looks like a joke.
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate

By Viet War I mean, don't the Chinese hate Viets for that reason or something?
    So to be clear, you've thus far: passed off as fact what some random dude on the internet told you in a Youtube video, followed it up with (presumably) your own comment as if it's fact but with no apparent evidence to back it up, and now the core of your argument is based on a murky understanding of history that you kinda sorta think maybe happened... or something.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    Why would you not blow him away the first second he showed up. It is a fucking stupidly morornic scene to appease the braindead marvel crowd.
    Apparently it's really difficult to express one's opinion of a movie without insulting other people. I like how you dragged a different pool of people in to get your dig.

Sorry you don't like Marvel movies but maybe figure out how to handle the concept that some people don't like the same things.