Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

UK Nanny State is Out of Control! , Mandatory Calorie Caps now?

Im so happy I dont live in a country like that. Now they are using their nanny powers to force you to eat no more than 400 calories at breakfast and 600 for lunch and dinner if youre not making the food yourself.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/britain-be-...t-food-1655125

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    Alison Tedstone, chief nutritionist at PHE, said: "This is all about things like pizzas and readymade sandwiches.

"We will need to set out guidelines and, I suspect, a series of calorie caps."

Ms Tedstone said meals "out of home" were a problem, as many retailers are selling high-calorie food as "treats".

She said Brits were consuming between 200 and 300 calories a day more than they should be.

First they make suggestions, then when the people say screw you, they make mandates!! What about people who skip breakfast and eat a large lunch? OR people who work long hours and only eat one meal per day? Are they only allowed to eat 600 calories a day and waste away to nothing?

When will they start:

Mandating driving a maximum of 1000 miles per year, to reduce the risk of car accident injuries
    Mandating no more than 4 hours per month skiing, skating, or playing sports to reduce the costs due to injury
    Cap the number of skydiving sessions per year to 3
    Mandate the auto manufacturers cap the top speed of all vehicles at 75KM/HR to prevent auto deaths

I just had a sandwich from a local shop that had to be 1300+ Calories easily. I’m not fat or even unhealthy by any legitimate medical index. The government shouldn’t get to tell me what I can and can’t eat or how much I eat
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Im so happy I dont live in a country like that. Now they are using their nanny powers to force you to eat no more than 400 calories at breakfast and 600 for lunch and dinner if youre not making the food yourself.

First they make suggestions, then when the people say screw you, they make mandates!! What about people who skip breakfast and eat a large lunch? OR people who work long hours and only eat one meal per day? Are they only allowed to eat 600 calories a day and waste away to nothing?

When will they start:

Mandating driving a maximum of 1000 miles per year, to reduce the risk of car accident injuries
    Mandating no more than 4 hours per month skiing, skating, or playing sports to reduce the costs due to injury
    Mandate the auto manufacturers cap the top speed of all vehicles at 75KM/HR to prevent auto deaths
    You're aware that 'calorie cap' is per serving, right?

It doesn't actually limit you from buying as much as you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    You're aware that 'calorie cap' is per serving, right?

It doesn't actually limit you from buying as much as you want.
    Doesn't matter. People should be able to eat whatever they want to if they are paying for it. They thought mandating restaurants to post calorie counts on the menus would make people cut back and as anyone with a brain knew, most people don't give a shit about calorie counts and so now they are moving forward with throwing people in jail if they serve too many calories per meal.

And people shouldn't need to buy 2 meals to get the amount of food they used to get in one. If they use the drive through, they aren't going to drive back and buy more when they realize their meal now includes a 2 ounce burger and 4 French fries so they will just suffer

Wait. Are you saying if you eat more than a certain amount Bobbies will come to your house and club you over the head?

Deleted
    I mean, just eat two of the ready meals. Not like there'll be someone telling you you can't.

10+ Year Old Account
    With a NHS I support this totally very very smart.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    You say this as if people going to Mcdonalds are making a conscious decision to consume excess calories and are now being denied that personal choice. If you want a burger and chips then you'll still get a burger and chips. Why does it matter to you if the calories are lower? It's not as if it's going to suddenly taste awful from reduced content or altered recipe.

I would be for this in America.

It's so annoying to go to a restaurant and see the lowest calorie option they have is 2-3x what I like to eat in a single meal. End up throwing away parts of my lunch most days I eat out due to it.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    If you absolutely MUST have socialized health care, then stuff like this makes sense, imo. You have to reduce the strain on the public health system as much as possible so that the costs don't get completely out of control.

When will they start:

How do you justify your hypocrisy on the issue of nanny states?

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...More-Regulated

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...an-Restaurants

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...upport-Him-100

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...l-Reservations

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...s-To-Be-Banned

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...s-To-Be-Banned

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...tle-Challenges

Yep, that makes you a proven hypocrite.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2018-01-18 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    I would be for this in America.

It's so annoying to go to a restaurant and see the lowest calorie option they have is 2-3x what I like to eat in a single meal. End up throwing away parts of my lunch most days I eat out due to it.
    I end up sharing with my wife or saving it for later.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I end up sharing with my wife or saving it for later.
    Thank you for reminding me of my soul crushing loneliness.

Also I don't usually like leftovers. I make nearly all my food fresh.
    – C.S. Lewis

Deleted
    youre probably a fat bastard who would come out in a cold sweat at the mere thought of less than 5k calories a day.
    i read the piece & it also says "In December, new health guidelines urged Brits to limit their eating at mealtimes to 1,600 calories a day, which breaks down to 400 calories for breakfast, 600 for lunch and 600 for dinner".
    which is bs, as the recommended calorie intake for a man is 2,500 calories per day.
    some americans are so gullible in what you believe, or want to believe, that its a constant source of amusement to the rest of the world.
    keep up the good work, as here's one englishman who enjoys a good laugh at your expense.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Thank you for reminding me of my soul crushing loneliness.

Also I don't usually like leftovers. I make nearly all my food fresh.
    I understand that, I prefer fresh too but I hate wasting food. Grew up poor and family hit us hard on not wasting food. That's part of the reason I had to learn how to eat heather when i grew up since I was so use to cleaning my plate which we know can lead to obesity if it's the wrong food.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by peaky blinder View Post
    youre probably a fat bastard who would come out in a cold sweat at the mere thought of less than 5k calories a day.
    i read the piece & it also says "In December, new health guidelines urged Brits to limit their eating at mealtimes to 1,600 calories a day, which breaks down to 400 calories for breakfast, 600 for lunch and 600 for dinner".
    which is bs, as the recommended calorie intake for a man is 2,500 calories per day.
    some americans are so gullible in what you believe, or want to believe, that its a constant source of amusement to the rest of the world.
    keep up the good work, as here's one englishman who enjoys a good laugh at your expense.
    I'm not fat and I agree with the OP it's a bullshit thing, different bodies require different calories.

OP makes it sound like they'll be having people monitored every time they eat... :V

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I understand that, I prefer fresh too but I hate wasting food. Grew up poor and family hit us hard on not wasting food. That's part of the reason I had to learn how to eat heather when i grew up since I was so use to cleaning my plate which we know can lead to obesity if it's the wrong food.
    Same here, grew up poor with a single mother. I don't like wasting food either, which is why I tend to make my own portions and meals. I throw the stuff away mainly to prevent myself from overeating, and I know if I try to save it, it will end up in the trash after it spoils in a few days :/
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    I just had a sandwich from a local shop that had to be 1300+ Calories easily. I’m not fat or even unhealthy by any legitimate medical index. The government shouldn’t get to tell me what I can and can’t eat or how much I eat
    Government should get involved or simply not allow bad food to be sold. Human brain can easily get manipulated to do things that are bad for them. Sometimes people think "it is their decision" when it is often brainwash/misinformation implemented by companies that want your money.
    The government is also responsible for the high obesity rate. Taking it to an extreme level, should a government let companies sell radioactive burgers? no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't matter. People should be able to eat whatever they want to if they are paying for it. They thought mandating restaurants to post calorie counts on the menus would make people cut back and as anyone with a brain knew, most people don't give a shit about calorie counts and so now they are moving forward with throwing people in jail if they serve too many calories per meal.
    That is not what is happening at all.

And people shouldn't need to buy 2 meals to get the amount of food they used to get in one. If they use the drive through, they aren't going to drive back and buy more when they realize their meal now includes a 2 ounce burger and 4 French fries so they will just suffer
    Or they can just order double the amount next time? Sounds like a case of suck it up buttercup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Nice hyperbole you've got there OP. This isn't usually what you retch on these forums so a /golfclap for showing your own hypocrisy straight out the gate for once.

It's not like people can order another plate right?! Imagine the horror and inconvenience. Appalling I know! /s
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.