Page 1 of 21
... LastLast
    Deleted

Obsession Epidemic With Japanese Cartoons

According to the Urban Dictionary, a weeaboo is "someone who is obsessed with Japan/Japanese Culture/Anime, etc. and attempts to act as if they were Japanese, even though they're far from it. They use Japanese words but usually end up pronouncing them wrong and sounding like total assholes."

In other words, it's someone who appropriates Japanese culture—or their warped version of it. Contempt for weeaboos popped up a lot in the thread.

"Weeaboos aren't obsessed with Japanese traditional culture, they're obsessed with some kind of bastardized fantasy version of Japanese culture/pop culture," said scm96.

So, fans of all things Japanese, here's the consensus: It's fine to enjoy the country's cultural contributions, but don't fool yourself. What you've been exposed to in the West is probably vastly different from Japanese culture itself, and your attempts to emulate it could very well make you look like a complete idiot.
    http://www.complex.com/life/2016/01/...anese-cartoons

Damn! Looks like this is becoming a major issue in the world, what do you guys think?

This threads gives you the "thats enough internet for the day" feeling

Deleted
    Weeaboos have been around for over a decade, I first started seeing them about 14 years ago as they were prevalent on another forum I visited but they've probably been around even before that. "Major" issue is a bit of a stretch, eventually they go to Japan and see for themselves, or just grow out of the phase. Besides it's harmless, even if it is idiocy. I may not associate with them but they're welcome to carry on in their fantasies and ignorance if it makes them happy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Weeaboos have been around for over a decade, I first started seeing them about 14 years ago as they were prevalent on another forum I visited but they've probably been around even before that. "Major" issue is a bit of a stretch, eventually they go to Japan and see for themselves, or just grow out of the phase. Besides it's harmless, even if it is idiocy. I may not associate with them but they're welcome to carry on in their fantasies and ignorance if it makes them happy.
    What if their fantasies and ignorance directly disrespects Japanese culture and values? There are reports of Westerners visiting Japan and upsetting the people there, they are labelled "Gajin" apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by OTG View Post
    What if their fantasies and ignorance directly disrespects Japanese culture and values? There are reports of Westerners visiting Japan and upsetting the people there, they are labelled "Gajin" apparently.
    'Gaijin' is a somewhat derogatorive term for 'foreigner', mostly from the west, allthough it wasn't always like that. It's not reserved for people who pretend to be japanese or try to poorly immitate japanese culture there. It's been mostly replaced with "gaikokujin", which means the same but doesn't have any negative meaning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never understood the obsession but meh to each his own.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    'Gaijin' is a somewhat derogatorive term for 'foreigner', mostly from the west, allthough it wasn't always like that. It's not reserved for people who pretend to be japanese or try to poorly immitate japanese culture there. It's been mostly replaced with "gaikokujin", which means the same but doesn't have any negative meaning.
    But the issue still stands; Japanese people are fed up of Westerners coming over and trying to link their traditions and cultures to Japanese cartoons. They have come up with another name for these people too, "Otaku" which I believe has a double meaning now.

Deleted
    If said offence they cause is illegal then they'll be dealt with by their police forces, if not, they'll be removed from any premises until they act properly. No one is harmed by this, it's just people being rude.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    If said offence they cause is illegal then they'll be dealt with by their police forces, if not, they'll be removed from any premises until they act properly. No one is harmed by this, it's just people being rude.
    The amount of Westerners getting exposed to this type of media has been growing a lot in recent years. It may get out of control in the future as more Westerners try to visit Japan with the intention to live there and disrespect the people. On top of that, it might cause more people to be shut-ins due to the nature of the media and further cause issues for the Western countries.

Deleted
    The amount of Westerners getting exposed to this type of media has been growing a lot in recent years. It may get out of control in the future as more Westerners try to visit Japan with the intention to live there and disrespect the people. On top of that, it might cause more people to be shut-ins due to the nature of the media and further cause issues for the Western countries.
    Yeah that would suck, more people buying Japanese things, contributing to their economy and consuming their media. They'll be okay.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    How is it any worse than people who are obsessed with things like HipHop Culture?

Nearly every Country in the World has a bastardized version of itself that Foreigners like to see as their "perfect" type.

But the issue still stands; Japanese people are fed up of Westerners coming over and trying to link their traditions and cultures to Japanese cartoons. They have come up with another name for these people too, "Otaku" which I believe has a double meaning now.
    I doubt most people who you'd label 'weeaboo' can actually afford a trip to japan, let alone live there, and from my experience, as long as you treat their culture with the necessary respect, the japanese will be rather happy that you embrace it. Of course, there are some morons who see shit in (bad) anime and think 'yeah, that's japan!!11' and embarass themselves, but (again, from my experience), the japanese are an extremly polite people and will simply contemplate in silence.

'Otaku' is, when memory serves me right, the japanese equivalent to 'nerd' or 'geek'. It has a negative touch to it, but many have proudly embraced it, too. It has also been in use for decades, and is often used towards japanese men and women.

These guys are the equivalent of me going to texas, donning a cowboy hat and chaps, entering a Burger King and saying 'Howdy! I'd like the big Angus burger, please!' in a thick german accent. Worst case I'd get laughed at.

Honestly its no different than white boys imitating black rappers ("gangsta") and whatever goes with that style of clothing and behavior.

If people want to be offended and feel disrespected then that is their problem - it certainly won't stop me from doing what i want (within the law).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I doubt most people who you'd label 'weeaboo' can actually afford a trip to japan, let alone live there, and from my experience, as long as you treat their culture with the necessary respect, the japanese will be rather happy that you embrace it. Of course, there are some morons who see shit in (bad) anime and think 'yeah, that's japan!!11' and embarass themselves, but (again, from my experience), the japanese are an extremly polite people and will simply contemplate in silence.

'Otaku' is, when memory serves me right, the japanese equivalent to 'nerd' or 'geek'. It has a negative touch to it, but many have proudly embraced it, too. It has also been in use for decades, and is often used towards japanese men and women.

These guys are the equivalent of me going to texas, donning a cowboy hat and chaps, entering a Burger King and saying 'Howdy! I'd like the big Angus burger, please!' in a thick german accent. Worst case I'd get laughed at.
    Japanese people have actually admitted that they dislike Westerners or people of different ethnicity and culture. It's a very serious problem when you think about how obsessed Westerners get with Japanese cartoons, they stop taking care of themselves, they begin to develop a shut-in mentality and they truly believe that Japan is the holy land.

The fact that these people proudly label themselves as "Otaku" just goes to show how warped their minds are about this whole thing. It's like a black person embracing the idea of him being a slave or a "nigger". Majority of the people who watch these cartoon shows are only interested in Japan because of what they see in the cartoons. Often times, when they do visit, it's only to that cartoon market "Akibarhara" or something and they never really visit the rest of the country or care about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Where is the part that it is an obsession and a major issue in the world?

Serious though, I'd be more concerned about all the people acting American, imitating American culture, watching American films and series and American brands, shops and restaurants popping up everywhere. Oh yeah..and then there is this: They use American words but usually end up pronouncing them wrong and sounding like total assholes."

How is that not more of a problem?
    Because Japanese culture is exclusive to Japanese people, it isn't your culture or right to follow these traditions. At least, in the mind of the Japanese, that's how they think. If you feel the way you do about people emulating American stereotypes and culture, then can you not understand how the Japanese feels about Westerners trying to compare Japanese cartoons to their real culture?

Maybe focus on groups that are actually a problem.
    Like trumpists or climate-change deniers.

Nice troll thread tho.

Deleted
    Because Japanese culture is exclusive to Japanese people, it isn't your culture or right to follow these traditions. At least, in the mind of the Japanese, that's how they think. If you feel the way you do about people emulating American stereotypes and culture, then can you not understand how the Japanese feels about Westerners trying to compare Japanese cartoons to their real culture?
    The Japanese aren't one person, some care about this, some don't. I see more western people complaining about imitation of Japanese culture than Japanese themselves.

This thread feels an old man read a story in a newspaper, that got all the info from a quick google search and didnt even bother to verify the facts.

It feels like Chinese Whispers.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

"Cartoon" triggers me so hard, I'll shoot up a mall because I'm a weaboo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post
    Maybe focus on groups that are actually a problem.
    Like trumpists or climate-change deniers.

Nice troll thread tho.
    I have noticed that you have a Japanese cartoon picture as your avatar, I must question your bias here.

As such, please stop attempting to derail the thread.

Japanese people have actually admitted that they dislike Westerners or people of different ethnicity and culture. It's a very serious problem when you think about how obsessed Westerners get with Japanese cartoons, they stop taking care of themselves, they begin to develop a shut-in mentality and they truly believe that Japan is the holy land.

The fact that these people proudly label themselves as "Otaku" just goes to show how warped their minds are about this whole thing. It's like a black person embracing the idea of him being a slave or a "nigger". Majority of the people who watch these cartoon shows are only interested in Japan because of what they see in the cartoons. Often times, when they do visit, it's only to that cartoon market "Akibarhara" or something and they never really visit the rest of the country or care about it.

- - - Updated - - -

You got any sources on that? OR is it just your assumptions? Sorry, you don't seem to be very knowledagble of either the japanese people or their culture. Otherwise you'd know how to spell 'Akihabara'. Seems to me that you try to be upset about something that doesn't really affect you, and making an issue where none exists.