Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawstruck View Post
    Meanwhile y'all foam and spit about how homosexuals, blacks, etc. are soooooo mistreated here in 2018 America.
    Largely because this forum is full of Americans and we have a direct impact on policies that should actually protect minorities from violence.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    Largely because this forum is full of Americans and we have a direct impact on policies that should actually protect minorities from violence.
    Well, they voted in someone that is far from "civil" as their spokesperson and leader, so who are they to talk.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post
    Well, they voted in someone that is far from "civil" as their spokesperson and leader, so who are they to talk.
    I'm not even reducing this to politics. The American Christian Right is exporting their garbage and trying to criminalize LGBT folks abroad. They need to be dealt with.
    Last edited by GreenGoldSharpie; 2018-01-21 at 09:20 PM.

Looks like Jono did a Nono.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

It's 2018 but people are still being killed for far less reason in the US and Europe.
    lolwat?

So there is a law in the United States of America that has someone beaten for selling something illegal? Tortured perhaps? Maybe the death penalty? This isn't the same thing as getting arrested for carrying drugs, and in those cases it's probably a little more understandable; the punishment is still humane compared to a public beating.

You can act like it's not unusual if you wish -- it's probably not in Indonesia -- but downplaying it and pretending like the US is just as bad is outright comical.

I'm assuming though that you are comparing written law (I am assuming this is that or close enough to it in Indonesia) with random idiots killing eachother outside of it, and if that's the case I don't even know how to respond to this. There's nothing to compare because the situations are entirely different, except that one is socially accepted and the other is obviously illegal. I really hope that's not the case here.

Deleted
    First thing that came to my mind when I read "rattan stick" was "rat on a stick".

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    lolwat?
    So there is a law in the United States of America that has someone beaten for selling something illegal? Tortured perhaps? Maybe the death penalty? This isn't the same thing as getting arrested for carrying drugs, and in those cases it's probably a little more understandable; the punishment is still humane compared to a public beating.
    You can act like it's not unusual if you wish -- it's probably not in Indonesia -- but downplaying it and pretending like the US is just as bad is outright comical.
    I never stated law enforced deaths/violence.

It was morely aimed at the deaths of people due to accidents with certain laws in "civil" countries.
    Or the deaths of people that do not break any kind of law yet are killed anyhow because of X and Y.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesDeLarge View Post
    First thing that came to my mind when I read "rattan stick" was "rat on a stick".
    Same, then it turned out less funny.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2018-01-21 at 09:28 PM.

Where my Liar Liat meme when you need it, if you don’t want to get flogged in an ass backwards country then maaaaybe don’t break their laws.

Dude knew what he was doing and knew where he was. I have no sympathy for the stupid. Now I don’t agree with the beatings but jeez it’s like walking off the cliff and ignoring the signs “cliff ahead”.

I never stated law enforced deaths.
    Then please, enlighten me. What on earth are you going on about, how "US is much worse"? Refer to my edit if you are comparing stupidity; in US that kind of illegal stupidity is punished, in Indonesia that is socially accepted. There's a pretty damn big difference I would think.

I'll add that if you are referring to Eastern European stuff that's a different story; I can't and won't comment on that, I am focusing on US here since you pointed it out.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm just glad to live in a safe country generally.
    Lok'tar Ogar! Death to the Alliance filth in the name of the Horde!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BonesDeLarge View Post
    That would have been much more entertaining i guess.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokresh View Post
    I'm just glad to live in a safe country generally.
    Well, you guys do have that whole TERF driven moral panic against trans folks, but so far there's only been threats of violence there.

I'll add that if you are referring to Eastern European stuff that's a different story; I can't and won't comment on that, I am focusing on US here since you pointed it out.
    All I meant is that there are far more important things to fix than a man, that knew exactly what he was doing with the alcohol and knew in which country he was.
    Instead of trying to make a foreign country change their ruling laws which does not effect your country at all, maybe try to change some retarded laws that do effect your own country.
    How many dead childrens bodies due to gun accidents need to be littered around the street for the US to maybe realize Gun laws aren't exactly the right thing.

All I meant is that there are far more important things to fix than a man, that knew exactly what he was doing with the alcohol and knew in which country he was.
    Instead of trying to make a foreign country change their ruling laws which does not effect your country at all, maybe try to change some retarded laws that do effect your own country.
    I can agree with that, but that's not what I got out of this post. I don't have a ton of sympathy for the man, and he survived the experience. I mean this isn't really news worthy to begin with. Backwards stuff happens in backwards country, more at 11. But saying that 'worse things happen in the US' is just wrong, without a doubt people die over crazy things here but it's not socially accepted. I'm just against that statement, is all.

This sounds a lot like Singapore, a place where certain "conservatives" were just saying we should try to emulate.

The irony is not lost on me.

I can agree with that, but that's not what I got out of this post. I don't have a ton of sympathy for the man, and he survived the experience. I mean this isn't really news worthy to begin with. Backwards stuff happens in backwards country, more at 11. But saying that 'worse things happen in the US' is just wrong, without a doubt people die over crazy things here but it's not socially accepted. I'm just against that statement, is all.
    I probably formulated it badly then (English is obviously not my first language), my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i mean muslims in general, not one specific group of them.

bring in bunches of skilled indonesians, i'd just rather they not have any religious affiliation. atheist or agnostic immigrants only, please.
    Good luck with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    This sounds a lot like Singapore, a place where certain "conservatives" were just saying we should try to emulate.

The irony is not lost on me.
    You don't get flogged publicly for selling alcohol or being in a room with a man as a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneman View Post
    Simbolon, who was arrested in October 2017, allegedly "bowed to" the local law – commonly known as Qanun – and as a result he was sentenced to public lashing. He was seen doubling over in agony as the masked man brutally whipped him. It was reported that after 10 canings, a doctor had to check on him before allowing further beatings.

Chief prosecutor Erwin Desman said that being a non-Muslim, Simbolon always had a choice to be prosecuted under national or religious law. He added that the Christian man may have chosen a public beating to avoid a lengthy criminal prosecution, the Daily Mail reported.
    Sounds like the alcohol was illegal for both sets of laws, and he had a choice of going to prison or getting beaten with a stick. I'd take the stick and walk free, but I wouldn't be selling alcohol in the first place since, you know, it's illegal in that area.

Barbaric or not, he still broke the law.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    Well, you guys do have that whole TERF driven moral panic against trans folks, but so far there's only been threats of violence there.
    What's TERF?