Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    That doesn't matter if I decide to go next week or even next month. Maybe with a year or two of studying the language I'll be able mitigate my disadvantage.

It's not reasonable to have an interpreter for deaf people at a concert. Show me any concert that routinely does this. Accommodations pertains to toilets and stairs, or do you see them handing out glasses at soccer games for short-sighted people and hearing aids before lectures at universities?

And yes, I can very much compare not speaking a language to being deaf because in the end, you don't understand what's being said either way.
    As you stated, within a year or two you may be able to mitigate the disadvantage. A deaf person can never learn to hear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    You did read the article right? The girls are not deaf and can hear perfectly fine, it's the mothers that are deaf, there are no sisters involved, not sure where you got that, and they aren't trying to fit in and feel normal, they are there taking their daughters to a concert.

That act has been taken far to literally. It states:

"any organisation supplying a service to the public is under a duty to make reasonable adjustments to ensure that a disabled person's experience is as close as possible to that of someone without a disability."

Its a concert. It's like an epileptic person turning up to a concert and demanding that they don't use any strobe lights because they are epileptic. What this woman did was act like a diva, she was not a fan of the band, the daughters are.
    Nope, I’ll admit I misread that completely. I got the names mixed up and I was thinking the girl was Sally and the mom was Cate. I meant friends not sisters. I was reading it as a mother taking the deaf girl and her friends to the concert...

Now she seems like a diva... I did get the impression from the article though that they originally were not going to provide an interpreter but once she got a lawyer they changed their mind which made me believe it was due to the Act. Did I misread that part as well?

15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Yeah I seriously doubt any entertainer would object to having an interpreter on stage, and when the cost of something is spread out between 25-30,000 people the individual share is very small. Probably less than a penny.
    trust me as a person who worked for a concert venue for 3+ years. Artists make the most outlandish demands. Anything blocking them and the performance is a no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    Now she seems like a diva... I did get the impression from the article though that they originally were not going to provide an interpreter but once she got a lawyer they changed their mind which made me believe it was due to the Act. Did I misread that part as well?
    No you didn't misread that part, that part is the point of the thread, but I disagree with the outcome, hence my original question "What do you think?" Your argument was "this is right because its the law", which is not an argument, it's an obscure law that uses the term "reasonable" and I don't think it is reasonable that this was a reasonable demand. How about if we start doing this for everyone? Commentary over loud speaker for a fireworks display? "Oooh its a blue one! Now a Red one!".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

I'm blind and was able to sue a movie theater for not hiring a dude to sit next to me telling me what is happening through the entire movie.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    I greatly disagree, most movies and tv shows I "watch" I don't actually see anything from. Watch nearly any show while playing a game, you'd be surprised the amount of information you can pick up on without having to see anything. Claiming that you're getting the same enjoyment from feeling the bass from speakers is just flat wrong.
    And seeing the words signed and the thump of the music and all the fans and the energy of the venue... There's a lot more to a concert than the specifics of the noise coming from the speakers. People can go to whatever for whatever reason, it has as much bearing on this argument as the cost of tea in China.

You claiming that you can dictate what people are allowed to get enjoyment from and how much is just flat wrong.

In case you didn't see my original post, I don't think the venue owes her anything. She should have brought her own interpeteror if she wanted one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Deaf people can still experience a concert. They can see the performers, feel the heat, and the music is loud enough to feel it as well. Going to a concert as a deaf person is not per se stupid.
    Sounds like you're paying hundreds of dollars for a ticket for something you can easily experience at home. They don't get to experience the sounds of the instruments and singer(s) being in person...if all they get from it is vibrations you may as well just buy a surround sound system and crank it up.

Ignoring that, if these are the reasons a deaf person would want to go then there is no excuse as to why all the sudden a person would expect someone signing the lyrics.

No you didn't misread that part, that part is the point of the thread, but I disagree with the outcome, hence my original question "What do you think?" Your argument was "this is right because its the law", which is not an argument, it's an obscure law that uses the term "reasonable" and I don't think it is reasonable that this was a reasonable demand. How about if we start doing this for everyone? Commentary over loud speaker for a fireworks display? "Oooh its a blue one! Now a Red one!".
    Ahhh I’m understanding it now and your stance is making a lot of sense. Got way off base here. After getting a better idea and overcoming my poor reading comprehension I agree with what you’re saying. Yes, it’s great to make things as accessible as possible, but this does reach a bit. If there was enough demand they could do special performances to accommodate, but in this case it was a bit ridiculous.

Also as you stated the law is too ambiguous.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Did you even read the article? Or do you just like taking a pop at people with impaired hearing?

What is it with dicks on this forum desperately wanting to take cheap ill-informed pot shots at people with disabilities?

- - - Updated - - -

Glad i dont live near you.
    Hm maybe but just maybe if said people with disabilities are behaving like fucking idiots/dicks thats when we call them out on this?

But maybe it´s just me and disabled persons are just above the law because if you say something mean about them you seem to get very heavy flak because they´re "SPECIAL".

Quote Originally Posted by Tupimus View Post
    This is a good example of why society needs a way to not give a shit about what some woman thinks.
    That it's a woman matters fuck all. It's an entitled person who wants something unreasonable when the she was met halfway, which was fair.

7+ Year Old Account
    The theater sends the signal to the glasses or other device owned by the disabled person. The theaters were compelled by law to do so.
    I´m very glad that we in Germany have at least that much common sence that we don´t do something which is absolutly stupid aka pandering to blind people who want to see a movie or deaf people want to "hear" a concert.

Remove the light show and see how many people bother to show up.
    You're the king of shit analogies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

10+ Year Old Account
    So I am usually the first person to side with people when they are discriminated against, but in this story I find myself at odds with Sally. I get that she is deaf so can't enjoy the music, but that is not the promoters fault. She bought a ticket for a concert, concerts are for people that can hear, its not discriminatory in much the same way that fireworks displays don't have audio descriptions of shapes and colours for blind people.

What do you think?
    I think I'm going to take my blind friend to an art museum and then sue them because they don't have vision interpretors for the visually impaired!
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Most of us live in the civilized parts of the world. Not sure where you're from.
    You live in Chicago, you really shouldn't go there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Can't cater to everyone, especially when it comes to the variety of disabilities that exist.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    A deaf person going to a concert is like a blind person in an art gallery that exclusively has paintings on the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    A deaf person going to a concert is like a blind person in an art gallery that exclusively has paintings on the walls.
    Ignoring the fact that not every deaf person is completely deaf, there's other ways to experience the music at a concert. Like the bass reverberating in your chest, feeling the drums through the ground etc...

Pretty sure the only reason she wanted to go to the concert was to sue them.

I can't believe life sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post

You can choose to learn the language.
    You can choose to hire your own interpreter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    As you stated, within a year or two you may be able to mitigate the disadvantage. A deaf person can never learn to hear.
    They might learn to read lips or to look up the fucking lyrics online though.