Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Work - Would you like it to see it become obsolete?

Work - Would you like it to become obsolete?

With the ever march of automation i see threads where people seem to want people to work for the sake of working so i ask would you ever like to see work become obsolete where machines gives us everything we need from the field to the plate and from the factory to the household.

We honestly are so close to the dreams of the 1950s where we was told we would no longer need to work cause machines could do it all for us.

This isnt about communism this is about where we honestly could set up a society where none of us need to work and only a select few needs to just make minor repairs but i guess those who do those minor repairs could maybe ask for more and thus would they become the new 'rich people'?.

I guess the point of this thread is with the rise of automation and the rise of driverless trucks we truly are heading where our labour is no longer needed and should we welcome that or fear it?
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2018-01-29 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporebat View Post
    This isnt about communism this is about where we honestly could set up a society where none of us need to work and only a select few needs to just make minor repairs
    you don't see the contradiction in this sentence?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Work is good for you. And it does not have to be physical work to be tiring and rewarding at the same time. But we need to be active.

There would be no downside to not having to work. I don't see how this is a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    There would be no downside to not having to work. I don't see how this is a question.
    many retired people and people not physically able to work would disagree with you.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Debauchery is the true way of living.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to see the stress of work as means to put food in ones stomach to go away.

People like to be productive, doing something, lots of people dont mind service jobs. Its the pay that turns people off and having to put up with long hours/bad work conditions to make ends meet.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    good hobbies can easily replace work
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Work will never be obsolete, something will ALWAYS need to be done.

Gladly, the day the need for work disappears would be the day that most jobs would become far more pleasant (compare the atmosphere in many jobs to the atmosphere in most volunteering groups, there's a world of difference).
    Also as someone with hobbies, I do not fear living without a job like the people that made their job into the whole of their identity.

The issue is generating a society where that fundamental concept of working to survive is gone. We've never been able to try. Universal Basic Income is a possibility but even with most existing work automated we still need to drive people to break through our existing boundaries of what we thought was possible and innovate, which is hard to do when people are content with what they have. Fundamentally restructuring society will be difficult, but the rise of automation is not going to stop, so it will be necessary.

So to "should we welcome it or fear it?" Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I haven't worked since 2012 and I can tell you that unless you have a really consuming hobby you'll get bored quickly. I think I spend most of my days looking for stuff to occupy my time with and that may not be so good for everyone.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Sporebat View Post
    Work - Would you like it to become obsolete?

With the ever march of automation i see threads where people seem to want people to work for the sake of working so i ask would you ever like to see work become obsolete where machines gives us everything we need from the field to the plate and from the factory to the household.

We honestly are so close to the dreams of the 1950s where we was told we would no longer need to work cause machines could do it all for us.

This isnt about communism this is about where we honestly could set up a society where none of us need to work and only a select few needs to just make minor repairs but i guess those who do those minor repairs could maybe ask for more and thus would they become the new 'rich people'?.

I guess the point of this thread is with the rise of automation and the rise of driverless trucks we truly are heading where our labour is no longer needed and should we welcome that or fear it?
    Ofc not. People need something to do. Being unemployed is one of the absolute worst things you can do for self advancement and mental health. If people dont feel necessary and spend everyday doing nothing, they will turn into awful people.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    we still need to drive people to break through our existing boundaries of what we thought was possible and innovate, which is hard to do when people are content with what they have.
    This is true possibly. How much was created because of a desire to improve upon something and how much was created by people who would have done it either way because it's what they love to do.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

I believe in Universal base Income.

People shouldn't have to drive themselves into physical disease just to get by. That energy could be put to better use if they had an income which ensured their security in terms of housing and food. People believing that "not needing to do something" results in "not doing anything" need to take a look at that African experiment with base income. We'd still need jobs and there would always be people willing to work to further improve their standard of living, and for the social aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrive View Post
    Ofc not. People need something to do. Being unemployed is one of the absolute worst things you can do for self advancement and mental health. If people dont feel necessary and spend everyday doing nothing, they will turn into awful people.
    What if they are like me and spend a lot of their time on Codecademy, UDACity, Lynda, and watching instructional videos on youtube like Linus Tech Tips and JayzTwoCent? I would say I've learned more unemployed than I would have employed. I wonder what the world would be like if no one had to work and people just spent their time learning and doing what they love?
    My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Surface level thinking it wouldn’t be obvious, but when you understand human psychology it may be more obvious. You can blame us evolving on the plains of Africa as the reason why we can’t just sit tight and be happy. Personally I’m glad for that fact, besides when our nervous system freaks out during something trivial.

Work is modern day slavery.

true automation will be an issue for generations from now to tackle. At some point if sociecty continues on the path its on, it will happen and something UBI will be a reality. The question remains about what quality of life it will provide, the vast gap between those on UBI and those that have more independently. And how does the human race handle the free time. Do we pursue hobbies and the arts, or do we act like a bored child and cause a rukus.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22