Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Tipping in the USA

Us foreigners like me an Australian , or British, Europeans & New Zealanders who may visit the USA for a Holiday are not used to tipping.

I know Tipping from customers makes up quite a bit of a workers wages in the USA.

So some basic questions about Tipping in the USA.

How much do you normally tip someone.?
    Do you have to Tip ?
    If you have 2 people serving you.. do you tip both ?

Do wait staff in Canada expect Tips as well. ?

I wasn't sure so stuck to 10%, if there service was average or below I just did 5%. Its such a fucking moronic custom and the fake smiles and niceness was creepy to get those tips.
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Humpty Doo View Post
    Us foreigners like me an Australian , or British, Europeans & New Zealanders who may visit the USA for a Holiday are not used to tipping.

I know Tipping from customers makes up quite a bit of a workers wages in the USA.

Do you have to Tip ?

15-20% in a restaurant. You really won't ever have 2 people serving you. Food+Tip is still probably cheaper than eating in a lot of european restaurants. No idea on Canada but its probably the same.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    15-20% in a restaurant. You really won't ever have 2 people serving you. Food+Tip is still probably cheaper than eating in a lot of european restaurants. No idea on Canada but its probably the same.
    Thank you..

So if a meal is $40 that is about $8 in Tips

For America:

1.15-20% tip means you were pretty happy with them, go below or above if you want to make a statement about their service.
    2. Don't have to tip but they'll think you're a jerk if you don't, and don't come back to that place if you can help it. They'll probs spit in your food if they remember you.
    3. Nah, either leave cash on the table and they'll split it or just leave a tip on your card.

Thank you..

So if a meal is $40 that is about $8 in Tips
    Have a good trip

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Have a good trip
    Looking at coming over when NFL season starts.. NFL games tour.. Love the sport.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't have to tip, but it is customary, me personally, I will generally tip provided the server did their job and what not, I will never tip someone who was rude ever. You don't have to be nice, but if you are rude, yeah I am not leaving a tip, and I am not sure if I care you figure it out.

As a scale I tip 0% for bad service and 20% on average, if it was exceptionally well done service and they go above and beyond in terms of remembering my name from a previous visit, or like what I ordered and Might like 40 to %50, I realize it's a job but someone who treats it like the opportunity it is and seems to be developing those personal and critical thinking skills, then it's for sure worth it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Looking at coming over when NFL season starts.. NFL games tour.. Love the sport.
    Id reccomend Lambeau and Soldier Field, Cowboys, Steelers and Eagles. Id check out college games if youre near a big college, they are arguably better and more fun to tailgate at.

I once heard a Canadian colleague saying that you don't tip in Australia, but you wouldn't anyway. Kek.

P.S. Thanks a lot, now I have "French kissing in the USA" stuck in my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I don't necessarily care too much about where I am when I tip. That said, I'm told that I tip high. I tip if I feel good about how the waiter/waitress hosted. I usually try not to include my thought on the cook unless I am made aware that tips are shared among the staff, just the one that I'm tipping specifically.

7+ Year Old Account
    When traveling, I go with what the locals do.

As an American, my day to day tipping: 15% for standard service, add or subtract based on various factors. I've gone as high as 40% on a tip. I've gone as low as no tip.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2018-02-13 at 09:03 AM.

Deleted
    I only tip if the service was outstanding, no matter the country I'm in.

Why tip someone for just writing down what you want and bringing over some plates?
    Would make more sense to tip the chef in any case too.

Do you have to Tip ?

This thread is so old, you need to do a search. It has honestly been made like 15 times just that I have seen, and I sometimes go weeks without checking MMO Champion......

1) 20% is customary for proper service, meaning, you were seated, given menus, got your drinks quickly, and asked a few times "Do you need anything?"

2) Do both people tip? Just tip 20% of the total cost... work it out however you like.

3) Not so much toward you, but to the whiney euros/asians who will pollute this thread. Yes, you tip here, yes you pretty much have to or you are a scumbag, better tip or never show back up at the same place to eat again.... fair warning. You don't HAVE to tip, just like I don't HAVE to hold the door for the person behind you, you don't HAVE to turn away or block a sneeze and rather sneeze right on someones face, you don't HAVE to not stand on an escalator and hold both hand guards and not let anyone else pass.... but all those things make you a jerk.

4) If you want to avoid tipping, take the food to go, or don't eat in a place with wait staff (Five Guys has great burgers and fries, don't need to tip)

5) Do not listen to the people who say "I don't tip in America" they are dirtbags. They are the same people who want to tax people who earn a decent living 90% of their income, but at the same time don't think they have to tip, and what they paid for the food covers the waiters income.

Little story for you: During college, I worked at Domino's for cash and obv free pizza. We had a guy come in who would always tip, just a little, like $2. He would pick up his pizza, but he would tip the people who made the pizza. I'd give him free soda, free breadsticks, pretty much anything we had extra of for free. We had rude customers too... they got "floor pizza" pizza that fell off the belt because someone had to answer a phone or something as a pizza was coming out. Be nice to the people serving your food... it will go a long way.
    Last edited by Cruor; 2018-02-13 at 08:08 AM.

American here:
    I tip for outstanding service only. I don't particularly care to allow businesses to fuck their employees, and I'm not participating in making up for those tactics. However, if this person strikes a cord with me then my wallet opens up, and I'm very generous when it does. I also eat at the same place without tipping more than twice. The manager at my local Denny's started earning tips from me when he fired someone for remembering my face and spitting in my food. Great guy for getting rid of petty trash.
    Last edited by HeyGuysHello; 2018-02-13 at 08:12 AM.

I find this hilarious. Somehow the service industry has convinced the American public to pay their worker's wages so they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I only tip if the service was outstanding, no matter the country I'm in.

Why tip someone for just writing down what you want and bringing over some plates?
    Would make more sense to tip the chef in any case too.
    Tips are generally pooled and shared with the chefs/hosts.

You tip because without the system you'd just be paying a larger fixed price for the food. With the tipping system you have a bit of leverage if service is bad or exceptional.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    You don't have to tip, but it is customary, me personally, I will generally tip provided the server did their job and what not, I will never tip someone who was rude ever.
    Isn't the server already paid by restaurant for his job? The only acceptable tip for me is to round numbers. If I have to pay 19.85€ I give them 20€. If I order bottle of wine I don't see a reason to tip them 5 - 10 €. Do they think they deserve this money for merelely bringing the bottle to my table?

Quote Originally Posted by HDestroyer View Post
    Isn't the server already paid by restaurant for his job?
    Yes. They make under minimum wage and have tips make up the rest. That is until they don't get tips, then the company/restaurant legally has to pay them a living wage. To stray from this practice can get you a nice visit from the BBB. The low pay differs from place to place, and some areas pay next to nothing an hour because they know the tips are always going to be exceptional due to high traffic, earning decent waiters a lot more an hour than you'd think.