Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Can you not agree that everyone has a right to speak and violence to silence anyone is never the answer?
    That's something everyone can agree on but that has nothing to do with the victim narrative that conservatives want to propagate. There is a rather long list of conservative speakers that have held talks in many colleges with no fanfare.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Protesting is absolutely acceptable, violence is not. I doubt you'll find many that support violent protests but you'll likely find widespread support of peaceful protests. It doesn't matter if the speaker was approved or not, protesters can and should be allowed to protest peacefully.
    I deffo agree it should be allowed. Although protesting to intimidate speakers and people that go to hear them is bad and probably infringes on the principle of freedom of speech.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitten View Post
    I deffo agree it should be allowed. Although protesting to intimidate speakers and people that go to hear them is bad and probably infringes on the principle of freedom of speech.
    Freedom of speech protects people from legal or political reprisal, not social reprisal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're not going to find any instance of me defending lawless violence. That said, crowds of people chanting and blocking pathways and yelling insults isn't "violence", and is, in fact, free speech.

I am, however, disputing the claims of that violence's omnipresence; it isn't that common, and while it does crop up, there's no partisan leanings on that violence; extremists of both sides of the partisan divide get violent at times.
    Trying to bring up “both sides” is pretty stupid when most of these situations occur when the speaker is someone lefties don’t like.

Who's seriously arguing otherwise? This is the mother of all straw men.

You're also confusing "having a right to speak" with "have some kind of right to a particular soapbox from which to spread your speech", which is not remotely the same thing. Being denied a setting on a university to give a speech is not a restriction of your freedoms.
    Canceling events because protesters get violent it a valid argument. Event's were not getting canceled because of who was speaking they got canceled because violent individuals created a security concern. Everyone should have the right to voice their shitty opinions without the fear of violence, even you. Also please stop using the term strawman since you do not understand it's use.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    That's something everyone can agree on but that has nothing to do with the victim narrative that conservatives want to propagate. There is a rather long list of conservative speakers that have held talks in many colleges with no fanfare.
    1 speakers getting shut down for speaking because of potential violence is one too many. Can you point me to any Liberal leaning speakers getting their event canceled because of violent conservative protesters?

10+ Year Old Account
    1 speakers getting shut down for speaking because of potential violence is one too many. Can you point me to any Liberal leaning speakers getting their event canceled because of violent conservative protesters?
    Do bomb threats count?

Of course they don't, because you're going to claim that it's totally different as the bomb threat was "just trolling".
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Define "intimidate speakers", then, because that's pretty damn vague.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Freedom of speech protects people from legal or political reprisal, not social reprisal.
    I will repeat to you what I told Endus.

Not everything that is not explicitly outlawed by the government is right.

I’m pretty sure that if we we were in the 1950s lefties would be singing another tune.

Do bomb threats count?

Of course they don't, because you're going to claim that it's totally different as the bomb threat was "just trolling".
    Has there been bombthreats to shut down a liberal speaker? I don't recall any, but yes that would count.

10+ Year Old Account
    Has there been bombthreats to shut down a liberal speaker? I don't recall any, but yes that would count.
    Mostly rape and death threats. Oh and threats to gas or put families "in the oven". Totally not nazis right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Anita Sarkeesian comes to mind.

- - - Updated - - -

I will repeat to you what I told Endus.

Not everything that is not explicitly outlawed by the government is right.

I’m pretty sure that if we we were in the 1950s lefties would be singing another tune.
    Pretty sure that in the 1950s there was actual legal and political repression.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trying to bring up “both sides” is pretty stupid when most of these situations occur when the speaker is someone lefties don’t like.
    Simply not true. The only way you can try and dishonestly frame it that way is by focusing exclusively on speakers on college campuses, which you've already decreed to be "liberal", which means you're deliberately cherry-picking.

Canceling events because protesters get violent it a valid argument. Event's were not getting canceled because of who was speaking they got canceled because violent individuals created a security concern. Everyone should have the right to voice their shitty opinions without the fear of violence, even you. Also please stop using the term strawman since you do not understand it's use.
    The straw man, which I'm using correctly, is this idea that violence is widespread and delivered primarily by left-wing protestors along partisan lines.

Nobody's defending the use of violence, we're disputing your attempt to portray it as a uniquely left-wing phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Mostly rape and death threats. Oh and threats to gas or put families "in the oven". Totally not nazis right?
    When? can you shoot me something that happened in the last 5 years because I don't recall that happening, or are you literally comparing today's college campuses to Germany?

10+ Year Old Account
    When? can you shoot me something that happened in the last 5 years because I don't recall that happening, or are you literally comparing today's college campuses to Germany?
    I know you're asking in bad faith. Its not my job to indulge in your laziness or rampant attempts at sealioning.

The straw man, which I'm using correctly, is this idea that violence is widespread and delivered primarily by left-wing protestors along partisan lines.

Nobody's defending the use of violence, we're disputing your attempt to portray it as a uniquely left-wing phenomenon.
    It's a strawman to point out that I haven't heard of a story of a left leaning speaker having to cancel their event because of security reasons?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    I know you're asking in bad faith. Its not my job to indulge in your laziness or rampant attempts at sealioning.
    By asking for proof what you are claiming? The burden of proof is on your hands, you made the statement.

Simply not true. The only way you can try and dishonestly frame it that way is by focusing exclusively on speakers on college campuses, which you've already decreed to be "liberal", which means you're deliberately cherry-picking.
    I never claimed college campuses were liberal. Humanity departments are liberal, which is another thing. This is some pretty bad strawman.
    Last edited by NED funded; 2018-02-14 at 06:14 PM.

I think people are missing the point about attending college. Political speeches don’t mean much at this stage. Only a minority of the student population pay attention or attend these speeches. Somebody who attends U.C. Berkeley, and still manage to affiliate himself with the far right movement, is not going to be swayed by a liberal speech. The same with a far left person attending U.C. Berkeley – a far right speaker is not going to change his mind.

Higher education biggest contribution to the liberal movement is that you get to meet people that are different than you. You meet people from other countries, and realized that they are all just as human as you are. You learn to appreciate and respect other cultures. You have your pre-conception, your view of the world and what is right challenged in a good way. You get to study engineering under the Egyptian professor who was the principal civil engineer during the construction of the Aswan Dam, and realized that not all Mustafas are bomb totting terrorist. Your TA is Hispanic, and all you care about is whether he can help you with the study materials, and not whether he comes here legally or not.

This is the best thing about U.S. higher education.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2018-02-14 at 06:32 PM.

Anita Sarkeesian comes to mind.

- - - Updated - - -
    The amount of abuse she received for "just her opinion" on video games is just silly. I'm sure a lot of people around here just think she was faking it though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    The amount of abuse she received for "just her opinion" on video games is just silly. I'm sure a lot of people around here just think she was faking it though.
    I don’t actually know who she is. All I’ve ever seen is bitching on this forum.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I don’t actually know who she is. All I’ve ever seen is bitching on this forum.
    Basically a patriarchy theory feminist critiqued video games.