Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Dungeon Master on the Atari ST way back in the late 80s;

Was an awesome game. Awesome graphics while the console peasants made do with the NES!
    Last edited by Daedius; 2018-02-18 at 08:03 PM.

Well I just went through a chronological list and the first thing I recognise is Diablo, which sounds about right. Got it on a demo CD at first, got tired of killing the skeleton king over and over and ended up buying the game at some point. It was the first character building mechanic I can remember being introduced to in a video game and I have not really looked back since.

They should remaster diablo. It was the best diablo

/asbestos suit
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dragon Warrior.

Dad bought it for himself while we bought the NES itself, those types of games weren't my thing back then and I didn't get into them until a friend showed me FF7 in 1999.

I didn't realize Dragon Warrior was Dragon Quest until a few years ago when I happened to see a slime in an online advertisement and recognized it.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

KOTOR 1

Wasn't into RPGs and got it as a gift from my gamer uncle who knew it was a good game.

I hated how long it took to install (4 disks) but it's easily one of the best games I've ever played.

Since I do not count Final fantasy series as RPG, Baldur's gate 2.

I noticed my old man playing it one day and for some reason decided to give it a whirl when he was at work.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dragon Quest/Warrior for the NES.

I was only 4 or 5 at the time and my brain was too small to comprehend how these games were meant to be played. Not only did you have to find specific tiles in order to advance at certain parts of the story, but the game was brutally hard, and the idea of grinding mobs to gain levels to get stronger never really occurred to me at the time.

That game left a very sour taste in my mouth and I tended to stay away from that genre. Not to say I didn't appreciate hard or unfair games, I had the original Battle Toads for NES too (fuck that game), and that fucking side scrolling or top/down portion Ninja Turtle game where you had to swim through electric seaweed. Was also blessed with an Adam's Family game called Festers Quest or some shit like that, which I am pretty sure was bugged to the point of impossibility.

I didn't really get into RPGs until I was around 9-10 and started playing Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, FF4/FF6 and Shining Force 2 for Sega Genesis. All of those games were fucking awesome and made fall in love with RPGs. NES RPGs were fucking awful, at least they were if you were 5 years old lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhnta View Post
    Since I do not count Final fantasy series as RPG, Baldur's gate 2.

I noticed my old man playing it one day and for some reason decided to give it a whirl when he was at work.
    How the hell is Final Fantasy "not an RPG"? I'm actually curious to see you explain this. I mean feel free to share your opinion but well factually the series is RPG.

It's arguably one of the genre defining series of RPG games.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-02-18 at 08:30 PM.

Deleted
    Baldurs gate.

Followed by what many agree to be the best RPG ever - Baldurs gate 2.

To this day nothing comes close to these two imp.

Rose tinted glasses and all, i know.

Deleted
    I think it was baldurs gate, that or champions of norrath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dragon Warrior

It was also (For anyone who played it) the first time people were introduced to level and gold grinding. >.<
    We are WARRIORS man! If we can't make it bleed, we will sure as hell dent the f%^ck out of it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    How the hell is Final Fantasy "not an RPG"? I'm actually curious to see how you explain this because I mean feel free to share your opinion but well factually the series is RPG.

That and Dragon Quest are probably 2 of the defining game series that brought the RPG video games into the spotlight.
    This is one of the problems with RPG. It lacks a clear definition.

Most hardcore RPG fans will prob laugh at FF and call it an adventure game. A lot of playstation nuts will not. Problem is that the only actual definition of RPG we have fits on 90% of all games today.

originally Dragon Warrior..but I was 6 and had absolutely NO idea what the fuck to do in it....

so I actually count Breath of Fire 2 as my first RPG..though I did go back and conquer Dragon Warrior

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The first one that I owned personally was Dragon Warrior 1 & 2 for the Gameboy, though I think that technically followed the original Dragon Warrior Monsters game, but that's in the same boat as Pokemon and I don't consider those types of games to be RPGs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tholl View Post
    Dragon Warrior

It was also (For anyone who played it) the first time people were introduced to level and gold grinding. >.<
    I never played the original, only the Gameboy remake but yeah, it was still a pain in the ass. DW2 was worse for level grinding though, not to mention there was no real direction in the old games.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    This is one of the problems with RPG. It lacks a clear definition.

Most hardcore RPG fans will prob laugh at FF and call it an adventure game. A lot of playstation nuts will not. Problem is that the only actual definition of RPG we have fits on 90% of all games today.
    I call the series what is.

Role Playing games. Always have. I don't see how it can be debated personally.

You can't say a RPG game isn't an RPG game when it has the core features/playstyle of an RPG. You are entitled to an opinion of why you don't think it is of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    My first RPG was Baldur's Gate. I had no idea about D'n'D-rules and had sometimes problems with fights, because I didn't take the time to read all the stuff about how spells and weapons worked. But in the end I spent a lot of time with it.

Final Fantasy 6. I was reeaaaally young, I didn't finish it back then.

First one I finished was I think FF9. Went on to finish every FF in the series (except for XIII and XV)

PS: and LOL at people saying FF is not an RPG. If anything it probably defined how RPGs were made for years and years to come.

7+ Year Old Account
    beyond oasis and Landstalker.

Man, those were some great time back then.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I call the series what is.

Role Playing games. Always have. I don't see how it can be debated personally.

You can't say a RPG game isn't an RPG game when it has the core features/playstyle of an RPG. You are entitled to an opinion of why you don't think it is of course.
    I think you misunderstand me and thats totally fiune. Know that i am not trying to demean your game.

I find it a little weird that you talk about my opinions - then go on to say that the RPG genre has core values.

RPG as a genre is undefined - as i wrote. It doesnt have a clear definition. In fact all it means is Role playing game. IE playing a role - a character. That fits on pretty much 90% of games today. What you considder core values of RPG is nothing more then an opinion

Pool of Radiance!

Pokemon Red, Diablo and Super Mario RPG - all 1996. I was like 9 or 10 years old.

But I also remember playing Secret of Mana - released 1993, I just don't know if I played it when it was new.