Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    i haven't seen Black Panther yet but perhaps writer are limited with origin story plot. There is only so much creativity to have before you start recycling yourself. Nonetheless the story could be compelling, and the directing good enough to not make you care.
    It was kinda no where close to the origin story.

Black panther's-

Mom was dead
    Klaw was the one who killed his Dad.
    He went to school in America.
    He had a white adopted brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It's a great movie for many reasons, but it's just one example of how a good movie can have a simple plot.

What makes Black Panther so enjoyable is its execution; the visual design, the editing, the acting. Especially the visual design.
    I agree that it's more than Vin Diesel that makes a movie great, I just find it amusing how many great movies he's attached to, even if he is just saying 1 word over and over. Still if you watch some of his other movies, he is pretty talented, Boiler Room is great and he plays his part extremely well, Find me Guilty is a freaking gem it's a shame it's not more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Michael Jai White didn't headline Spawn? Wesley Snipes didn't headline 3 Blade movies? Rza didn't headline Man with the Iron Fist?
    I am done with your trolling. you clearly said, which i responded to first "He's not the second, third, or fourth black hero to grace a movie" you said grace,a s in be in, ignoring I said headline then fake outrage. I am done with your trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Go on then, explain to me why Black Panther is so great and not another generic popcorn super hero movie (which I do enjoy but also admit they are not special).
    Okay, since why this is important seems to have entirely escaped you, I'll give a single example:

--The climatic fight scene was literally in an underground railroad

If you, again, don't get why this is a big deal, you don't want to.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    So after seeing Black Panther I was wondering why marvel keeps using the same basic plot as Captain America. There are subtle differences, but the main plot is the same.

Chemically enhanced villain wants to use advanced technology to have his race take over the world while similarly chemically enhanced hero wants to stop him.

The first Iron Man plot has been reused also, but I was just using the above as most recent example. Why are people more impressed this time around? Because it's the second black hero to headline a movie?
    isn't that basicly every super hero movie? normal person finds power, power solves conflict. its basicly every superhero movie ever if you dig deep enough.

Deleted
    You can tell if a superhero is good or not if you can name 3 original villains that you also think are good, how many can do this with Black Panther?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    Okay, since why this is important seems to have entirely escaped you, I'll give a single example:

Ant Man already did the fighting on a train thing, although it was not underground.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I thought it was because Spawn was panned as being a mostly shite movie better off forgotten; whereas Blade is a celebrated success... I shouldn't answer for others tho.
    It still exists, how good it is really is immaterial. It's also a secret love of mine. So is the Spawn series on HBO.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe you are the one with the agenda. I simply asked why critics are making a big deal of a recycled plot.
    You are making actively efforts to diminish and marginalize a movie that is a very big, important deal to a very specific group of heavily marginalized people simply for the sake of hurting them.

That's why.

- - - Updated - - -

You can tell if a superhero is good or not if you can name 3 original villains that you also think are good, how many can do this with Black Panther?

- - - Updated - - -

Ant Man already did the fighting on a train thing, although it was not underground.
    You just proved my point.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

Deleted
    Spoiler : The good guys win.

I am done with your trolling. you clearly said, which i responded to first "He's not the second, third, or fourth black hero to grace a movie" you said grace,a s in be in, ignoring I said headline then fake outrage. I am done with your trolling.
    You mean you were wrong and now you are back pedaling more, after you moved the goal posts when you dropped your "I meant Marvel."

Go on then, explain to me why Black Panther is so great and not another generic popcorn super hero movie (which I do enjoy but also admit they are not special).
    They make tons of money and are great entertainment. Like most people , I go to the movies to have fun. Black Panther was fun and entertaining. It just seems like Marvel villains are badly chosen. boring. or mean very little. There is no doubt who will win in the end. The best fight they have had is when they fought themselves.

Its a bit farfetched but could be the reason they set it up to happen there.

Guide to Marvel threads:

Enter Marvel thread -> Skim OP until you see the word "black" -> Leave Marvel thread.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

You are making actively efforts to diminish and marginalize a movie that is a very big, important deal to a very specific group of heavily marginalized people simply for the sake of hurting them.

That's why.
    Actively making efforts to marginalize to diminish whom? The marvel machine cranking out recycled plots and villians with no real danger of heroes dying? I am sorry I marginalized marvel. I am sorry I hurt you marvel. Please take my apology to heart as you count your bundles of cash.

Deleted
    They make tons of money and are great entertainment. Like most people , I go to the movies to have fun. Black Panther was fun and entertaining. It just seems like Marvel villains are badly chosen. boring. or mean very little. There is no doubt who will win in the end. The best fight they have had is when they fought themselves.
    Exactly how I feel about these comic book movies, I am very familiar with pretty much every middling or above hero or villain in the DC, Marvel or 2000AD universe and enjoy watching them I just fail to see why people are fucking raving about them.

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    isn't that basicly every super hero movie? normal person finds power, power solves conflict. its basicly every superhero movie ever if you dig deep enough.
    Not every hero movie does that, almost every origin movie does that. If you have seen Black Panther, this is not an origin movie. They trace the origin of the black panther in the first 1-2 minutes.

Actively making efforts to marginalize to diminish whom? The marvel machine cranking out recycled plots and villians with no real danger of heroes dying? I am sorry I marginalized marvel. I am sorry I hurt you marvel. Please take my apology to heart as you count your bundles of cash.
    Eh one has died so far....Technically Thanos kills them all but not sure how they will do it in the movies. Maybe he kills only a few.

So after seeing Black Panther I was wondering why marvel keeps using the same basic plot as Captain America. There are subtle differences, but the main plot is the same.

Chemically enhanced villain wants to use advanced technology to have his race take over the world while similarly chemically enhanced hero wants to stop him.

The first Iron Man plot has been reused also, but I was just using the above as most recent example. Why are people more impressed this time around? Because it's the second black hero to headline a movie?

There's very little that's original. You say the Captain America movies were original but I guarantee you they aren't original either.

What makes something appear to be original is a new take on old story plots.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    You could ask why people like stories. There really aren't that many of them. Just interesting takes on old ideas.
    That's kinda what I'm saying with this thread. o_O

I mean... he's basically asking "Why do you go see movies where the hero fights a bad guy who's doing bad things?" =/

I think a better question is - why do people go see Marvel movies vs many other kinds of movies?

When writing this, I realized there's actually multiple answers to this - so I've decided to list them:

1) They're simply just damn fun movies! ^_^ Other movies outside of Marvel tend to just do dry cynicism without bringing the fun.

2) Established Quality Brand Recognition. The fact you say "Marvel Movies" already says it. Much like Pixar/Disney animation, if people know it's a "Marvel Movie" they've learned over the years it's a name they can trust in pumping out a good quality movie. ^_^

3) A slow-but-brilliantly created/crafted "Combined universe" aspect. Marvel Movies works where the DC ones fail simply because they designed individual stories first with a HINT of a mashup later, leading to a VERY good quality "Avengers" mashup. You had 1 meh-quality DC movie (Superman), 1 half-assed mashup (Batman V Superman) and 1 whole-assed mashup (Justice League) that were all designed, first and foremost, to be mashups/linked as opposed to be individual stories. The Marvel movies have that in reverse - they design a good story, then sprinkle in the links for the BIG mashup a decade later. This is also why Wonder Woman succeed (asside from the female lead hype) because it was, first and foremost, an individual outing with a hint of mashup.

Now, even basic plots that wouldn't have gained half their audience views (Looking at Ant-Man and, even most likely, Black Panther) become mega blockbusters simply by association with all the above aforementioned 3 aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Its a bit farfetched but could be the reason they set it up to happen there.
    And here I thought they fought down in the hole so they could use the plot device sonic destabilizers as a reason to defeat the indestructible super vibranium suits with a spear.