Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    But I thought in the police debate we all agreed that guns don't work against knives and that's why American police kill suspects instead of simply arresting them.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    If only we had tougher laws on knives, then this young woman would still be alive.
    Lol, your strawman arguments are so adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by alt-ithist View Post
    And it takes 1 person with a plane to do way worst, but neither the plane nor the car is made for the sole purpose of killing. But yeah keep moving that goal post. I will never understand why anyone would object to make it illegal for mentally disturb and/or violent individuals to purchase guns. That is all we are asking for with gun controls.
    I don't have an issue with it, in fact I have advocated stronger gun control for years. I just don't try to pretend that they're going to make all that much difference in our particular country. Kids aren't going to be safe in schools until politicians decide that the cost of implementing proper security isn't greater than the value of the lives of said kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    See no gun involved and suddenly you dont have 17 dead people but just one dead person.
    One guy killed three men on the Max here in Portland recently. One had military training.

"Plato is dear to me, but dearer still is truth." - Aristotle

Aww that was really sad

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    so when's the ban all knives rhetoric starting?
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varithimas View Post
    When a gun kills someone we blame guns being available, when a knife kills people its ''at least is wasn't a gun''. Mental health is the main issue, there are many tools which become weapons.
    That comes off as simple deflection, seeing as conservatives aren't trying to do anything about any of those issues.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

we should simply ban all assault knives, that will surely solve this horrible tragedy from ever occurring again.

Note that in none of those mass stabbings did any of the victims die (at the time of reporting, at least). It's a lot harder to kill someone with a knife than a gun.

If only we had tougher laws on knives, then this young woman would still be alive.
    Crazy guy with knife. 1 person dead.

Crazy guy with semi automatic rifle. 10 - 50 people dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    Note that in none of those mass stabbings did any of the victims die (at the time of reporting, at least). It's a lot harder to kill someone with a knife than a gun.
    There have been mass shootings as well where no one died, but many were injured or the shooter simply missed.

Of the 310 million firearms in the United States, an estimated “0.0035%” of them were used to commit murder in 2016.
    Number of homicide deaths via firearms in 2016: 11,004

There isn't a mass gun violence problem.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ta-table-4.xls

Schools are safer than they were in the 90s, and school shootings are not more common than they used to be, researchers say
    https://news.northeastern.edu/2018/0...searcher-says/
    Last edited by Dolus; 2018-03-02 at 07:16 PM.
    "Plato is dear to me, but dearer still is truth." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Dolus View Post
    There have been mass shootings as well where no one died, but many were injured or the shooter simply missed.

Of the 310 million firearms in the United States, an estimated “0.0035%” of them were used to commit murder in 2016.
    Number of homicide deaths via firearms in 2016: 11,004

There isn't a mass gun violence problem.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ta-table-4.xls

Schools are safer than they were in the 90s, and school shootings are not more common than they used to be, researchers say
    https://news.northeastern.edu/2018/0...searcher-says/
    I'm not really sure what the point of your post is. Your own link (the FBI one) shows that guns are the leading weapon in homicides... 11k in 2016 vs 1.6k for knives.

I also don't see the point of just focusing on school shootings and saying "Well they're still rare, guns are fine !". The aim should be to reduce incidence of ALL mass shootings. From your last link, "In research publishing later this year, Fox and doctoral student Emma Fridel found that on average, mass murders occur between 20 and 30 times per year, and about one of those incidents on average takes place at a school."

20 - 30 times is a huge number (and the attached graph actually makes it look like 25 - 35) and the vast majority of these mass murders are shootings. The aim should be to reduce this number, not to do nothing.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Taking a life with a knife is no small task, at all. You don't have much first hand knowledge with either if you're trying to compare the two.