Poll: Borders or Welfare?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by turlockmike View Post
    One of the toughest questions to ask is how much we are willing to spend on welfare for adults vs how much we are willing to open our borders to immigration. In American past, there was almost no welfare and we also didn't have a formal immigration system. In 1924, Americans started putting quotas on immigration and later in the 40s we greatly increased our welfare state.

Welfare for adults acts as a huge incentive for people to immigrate here.

So my question I want to pose is this? Generally do you support more welfare? More open borders? Neither? etc etc
    What are you classifying as welfare? What source are you using for the claim that welfare for adults act as a huge incentive for people to immigrate?

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you prevent a massive amount of people immigrating solely for the purpose of collecting welfare?
    Restricting public assistance to citizens and permanent residents. It's not difficult.

The problem with unrestricted immigration is that it causes an array of social problems, particularly in how difficult it is to keep infrastructure updated in the face of unchecked and unpredictable population growth.

What should be aimed for is steady, moderate volume immigration to keep the population growing at a reasonable rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prabog View Post
    Which flavor of Marxism are you?
    Marxist-Leninist

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Marxist-Leninist
    Your thoughts on Comrade Tito?

Deleted
    I'm much more of an enslavement crusade of poorer nations to fuel welfare kind of person. Often referred to as capitalism in some circle

On a serious note, less immigration and about the same kind of welfare as currently.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you prevent a massive amount of people immigrating solely for the purpose of collecting welfare?
    Preventing criminals from entering, requiring tests to get citizenship, requiring citizenship to get welfare, etc. So basically the same way we do it now, though there's a few things they could tighten up to make stricter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your thoughts on Comrade Tito?
    He's gross

Not preparing to bolster welfare is incredibly short sighted.

Deleted
    He's gross

Was hoping for a bit more but fair enough. With whom do you side with, Stalin or Trotsky?

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Restricting public assistance to citizens and permanent residents. It's not difficult.

The problem with unrestricted immigration is that it causes an array of social problems, particularly in how difficult it is to keep infrastructure updated in the face of unchecked and unpredictable population growth.

What should be aimed for is steady, moderate volume immigration to keep the population growing at a reasonable rate.
    One of the complaints is that you basically create a second class of people living in the same country by doing this.
    Moonlife, Boomkin/Tree, Silvermoon, VTX

10+ Year Old Account
    Was hoping for a bit more but fair enough. With whom do you side with, Stalin or Trotsky?
    Trotsky, and Tito too were revisionists and I can't condone that.

Deleted
    Trotsky, and Tito too were revisionists and I can't condone that.
    What mistakes do you attribute to Trotsky and Tito?

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the complaints is that you basically create a second class of people living in the same country by doing this.
    Cool. It does not change the fact that closed borders or its polar opposite, unrestricted immigration are both impractical (and downright bad, in the case of the former).
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'll give you a minute while you try and grasp that a proper Marxist state would have neither open borders, nor welfare programs.
    please read some theory before defining what a proper marxist is

- - - Updated - - -

What mistakes do you attribute to Trotsky and Tito?
    Their opposition to the USSR and it's leader damaged the communist cause. Tito even aligned himself with the US for christ's sake.

Deleted
    Their opposition to the USSR and it's leader damaged the communist cause. Tito even aligned himself with the US for christ's sake.
    I should be honest, I am not a Marxist myself. That being said, Tito truly did contribute to erosion of communist ideology by siding with Americans and British. He was British agent from the first day. Went to London later and became good friend with the British royal family.

Also, last question, who contributed more to Sino-Soviet split, Soviets or Chinese?

Waiting for the americans screech about Welfare. I see I am already too late.

Controlled immigration and welfare that's a hands up and not a hand out is the only way to go.

I personally prefer closed (controlled) borders and lots of Welfare.
    The issue seems to come when too many uneducated and un-integrable people come to a country.
    They dry up the welfare system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither.
    But what if we get you a free helicopter ride instead?

10+ Year Old Account
    I should be honest, I am not a Marxist myself. That being said, Tito truly did contribute to erosion of communist ideology by siding with Americans and British. He was British agent from the first day. Went to London later and became good friend with the British royal family.

Also, last question, who contributed more to Sino-Soviet split, Soviets or Chinese?
    Well it was the CPC that caused it, but I can understand their reasons. If they'd done it in 65 I'd be more on their side though. Above all else it was a real fucking shame.