Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Why is spitting so bad?

So as the article mentions there's been outrage over a video of footballer spitting towards a family

There's been outrage over a video of footballer turned TV pundit Jamie Carragher spitting towards a family in a car in an angry outburst in response to being "goaded".

Carragher has been suspended from his job as an analyst at Sky Sports.

But why is spitting seen as so offensive?

"Disgusting", "vile" and "doesn't get any lower than spitting" are among the comments posted about the video.

To some people, spitting is in a class above everything - even violence.

It's often seen as an action of anger and disrespect, but it hasn't always been the case.

In the past spitting was a socially acceptable habit in Europe, but by the 19th Century manners changed.

This coincided with greater awareness of the transmission of contagious diseases that could be spread by spitting, so public health campaigns were launched against it.

During the 1940s, when tuberculosis (TB) was widespread, it was common to see "spitting prohibited" signs on buses.

Today the risk of catching a contagious disease if you're spat at is very low.

You do stand a small chance of catching a cold or possibly the flu.

Other diseases that are spread through saliva include TB, hepatitis, viral meningitis, cytomegalovirus - a common virus similar to the herpes virus - and the Epstein-Barr virus, which is a common herpes virus that causes many diseases such as glandular fever.

If you are in the unfortunate situation that you are spat at, the NHS recommends you should:

• Immediately wash the saliva off with soap and lots of water
    • If the saliva goes into your eyes, nose or mouth wash it out with lots of cold water
    • If you think you're at risk of infection, get immediate medical advice

Is spitting assault?

On the football pitch, spitting on the ground is a common sight but spitting at your opponents is categorised as "violent behaviour" by world governing body Fifa.

Spitting at an opponent or any other person is a sending-off offence by the Football Association.

The police say "in most cases, spitting if done deliberately will be an assault" and they have started to introduce spit hoods to protect officers.

The transparent mesh fabric hoods are used by 17 of the UK's 49 police forces.

The West Midlands Police force is one of the latest to introduce them.

The force said in 2016, 231 officers were spat on.

But the garments have been condemned as cruel and degrading by the campaign group Liberty.

Fining offence
    Until 1990, spitting was an offence carrying a £5 fine in the UK. In recent years the idea of fines for spitting has re-emerged.

In 2013, Enfield council in London introduced a by-law to make spitting in public illegal.

Councillor Chris Bond, who led the campaign to introduce it, described spitting as "utterly foul" and the "sort of disgusting behaviour" that "shouldn't be tolerated in a civilised society".

"It is my belief that most people find spitting a wholly obnoxious, filthy habit which can spread germs and causes health issues," he said.

"Banning spitting in Enfield will help combat tuberculosis which has been on the increase in London."

In the same year, Waltham Forest Council in north-east London introduced fixed penalty notices of £80 for those caught spitting. It classified spitting as "waste", which meant that creating a by-law was not necessary and it successfully took two men to court.

'Spit bags'
    In some parts of the world spitting is commonplace.

China has attempted to tackle the issue a number of times.

One campaign ahead of the 2008 Beijing Olympics saw volunteers handed out special "spit bags" and banners across the city urged people not to spit as a way of "improving manners".

"Take part, contribute and enjoy yourself by welcoming the Olympics, being civilised and behaving better," said one slogan.
    I don't know about you but I absolutely despise spitting even those that spit on the street! It's just vile. What's your opinion

Should you just swallow?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I spit when working in dusty environments, when working out or as a general curse, typically pig parkers.

I dont spit on sidewalks or in general thoroughfares, no one wants that on their shoes.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

It's gross, but there are far more important things to get upset over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Deleted
    spreads disease m8. Pretty grim.

To be fair to Carragher he is a scouser and was probably just trying to get his words out. Also that guy driving on a motorway, filming with one hand and not looking at the road with he daughter in the motor. What a tool.

When me and my brother used to fight when we were younger spitting was a cardinal sin, that woud esculate a little scrap into a fall blown brawl.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't spit anywhere. If I really have to spit, ill find a public bathroom and spit there (I don't think i've ever had to). People who do it on the streets are disgusting and it is often smokers or chavs who do it.

Disease and shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Body fluids are vectors for disease transmission. Is it really that big of a mystery?

And, yes, you are fucking disgusting if you spit everywhere instead of swallowing. Brush your fucking teeth more than once a month and maybe your saliva won't taste too nasty to swallow.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

I mean if people spit on the side of the road or anywhere that isn't in a direct path where others walk like in a bush or in a bin I really don't have a problem, especially if they are sick and maybe have slime clogging up their windpipe but spitting on a person is pretty fucking gross, not just because it is insulting to spit on other people but also because saliva is a vector for various diseases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Besides being low class, dirty, and disgusting, it's also a microbial vector. And god fucking forbid if it's windy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    I mean if people spit on the side of the road or anywhere that isn't in a direct path where others walk like in a bush or in a bin I really don't have a problem, especially if they are sick and maybe have slime clogging up their windpipe but spitting on a person is pretty fucking gross, not just because it is insulting to spit on other people but also because saliva is a vector for various diseases.
    There is one occasion where I have had to spit by the side of a road, and it was when I had just gotten out of the dentist's office and I didn't want to swallow half a gallon of fluoride. So I did it as discreetly as possible in the dirt next to a tree. Even if you're sick, you should just swallow the mucous, since it will boost your immunity as antigens are digested and absorbed by dendritic cells in your digestive tract.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    There is one occasion where I have had to spit by the side of a road, and it was when I had just gotten out of the dentist's office and I didn't want to swallow half a gallon of fluoride. So I did it as discreetly as possible in the dirt next to a tree. Even if you're sick, you should just swallow the mucous, since it will boost your immunity as antigens are digested and absorbed by dendritic cells in your digestive tract.
    Swallowing is also a good way to get pneumonia.

Spitting, especially if you're sick could potentially get other people sick. Spit in the trash, blow your nose more, or spit into a tissue then throw it away. At the very least spit away from a path where there could be foot traffic.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Spitting is disgusting. Wherever I see someone spit on the sidewalk as they're walking I want to force them to lick it off. Like I get it, sometimes you have to get something out of your mouth, throat, or lungs, but for fucks sake spit on the damn dirt that's inches away.

It's one of the things that make my skin crawl. From the grotesque sound to the putrid cocktail of mucus and God knows what else.

I really have to keep myself in check, I've said shit to people before about it (perks of being 6'5 and built like a linebacker) when I see those jackasses who spit every 7 steps or so, but that has also has placed me very close to a few fights.
    The mental image of who you are just became all that much more clear, and all that much more reasonable to completely disregard you and your arguments as a person.

"I'm big and tuff and if I don't like something intimidation or just beating it up is the first and most mature response I have to something I don't like."

Such a big man *eyeroll*
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where I live when you got to a corner store you see nothing but puddles of luggies and spit out front and I hate it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    So as the article mentions there's been outrage over a video of footballer spitting towards a family

I don't know about you but I absolutely despise spitting even those that spit on the street! It's just vile. What's your opinion
    Not a fan either, I find it disrespectful to the people around you.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I spit when working in dusty environments, when working out or as a general curse, typically pig parkers.

I dont spit on sidewalks or in general thoroughfares, no one wants that on their shoes.
    Why are you spitting working out?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Not A Cat View Post
    Swallowing is also a good way to get pneumonia.
    Only if it's going on your lungs otherwise it's going straight to your stomach. If stuff is going onto your lungs via swallowing you have a medical problem

Deleted
    It's what the lowest of the low do when they are angry.

Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    The mental image of who you are just became all that much more clear, and all that much more reasonable to completely disregard you and your arguments as a person.

"I'm big and tuff and if I don't like something intimidation or just beating it up is the first and most mature response I have to something I don't like."

Such a big man *eyeroll*
    It is pretty funny how many people on here claim to be 6'3 or taller and jacked.

Spitting is the middle finger of the mouth. Yeah flipping the bird doesnt actually "do" anything. Its the intent behind the gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Why are you spitting working out?
    Running or cycling, IDK works up some lougies that cant be swallowed.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did it when I was like 15 or so to be a cool guy lol /spit