Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post

Dunno what I expected from someone who started their post by bragging.
    I reread my first post, and I don't see at all how it was bragging. First part was my personal opinion. Then I stated known facts of the game.

1. The sloop has a superior turning advantage against the Galleon.
    2. Lifting the anchor on a Sloop is far faster than the Galleon.

None of that was bragging.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    This looks pretty but bland as fuck. Something to play for 5 hours then get bored and uninstall. Needs way more features and content.
    After playing the beta, I stick to my previous statement. It was fun to just sail and dick around for a few hours, but there's barely any content, the combat is uninteresting and you get bored super fast. And it's 60$? Holy hell.
    Last edited by Grable; 2018-03-12 at 01:28 PM.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Sounds like Pirates of the Burning Sea which also was a flash in the pan and failed rather quickly.

After playing the beta, I stick to my previous statement. It was fun to just sail and dick around for a few hours, but there's barely any content, the combat is uninteresting and you get bored super fast. And it's 60$? Holy hell.
    Cause beta is the final release right?

I liked what I saw, but I agree there has to be a lot more for it to be worth that pricetag.

It has a lot of potential, hopefully they see that people do want it, they just want more of it, and don't abandon its development immediately.

But that's probably up to Microsoft, and they may force the developers to move on to something else if they don't profit enough from release.

Also if people are nervous about purchasing it....iirc MS said that play anywhere titles on xbox game pass will be playable on pc or xbox...I plan on signing up to the game pass to a)see if that's true and b) test the game out before purchasing so I don't drop $60 on a game I play for a couple hours and never again.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    Cause beta is the final release right?
    Yeah usually it is, or very close to it at least.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Yeah usually it is, or very close to it at least.
    release won't have A LOT more, but the final beta was still missing a bit of content. the final beta was a server stress test.

They also have a lot of regular updates planned to continually add. I'm concerned how little there is to do at first, but I really enjoy the concept of the game, because I'm an avid sailor IRL, so to me that alone makes me happy ha. I just can't wait to sail around with my brother in law since he moved to colorado and we dont get to hang out or sail anymore.

10+ Year Old Account

It looks cool, but I'm sad it's xbox exclusive. I've been wanting to buy a new console now but I'm torn between the 3 and their exclusives.

Nintendo Switch - Zelda Breath of the Wild
    PS4 - Horizon Zero Dawn
    And others

I played in Alpha and thought the game was brilliant, with a a mic and the right crew people talk like pirates the whole time and sing dirges and it's amazing. So amazing that I stopped playing completely because I didn't want to ruin the game for myself as it developed. I've been in all the alpha and beta so far, but haven't touched it. From what I've been told there is less to do in beta than alpha, so don't base the game off of people just playing beta.

But I'm super excited to play this Tuesday, had it pre-ordered for a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    I played in Alpha and thought the game was brilliant, with a a mic and the right crew people talk like pirates the whole time and sing dirges and it's amazing. So amazing that I stopped playing completely because I didn't want to ruin the game for myself as it developed. I've been in all the alpha and beta so far, but haven't touched it. From what I've been told there is less to do in beta than alpha, so don't base the game off of people just playing beta.

But I'm super excited to play this Tuesday, had it pre-ordered for a while.
    It happens way more often than you would think. Random kids, random adults, it happens soooo often lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    It looks cool, but I'm sad it's xbox exclusive. I've been wanting to buy a new console now but I'm torn between the 3 and their exclusives.

Nintendo Switch - Zelda Breath of the Wild
    PS4 - Horizon Zero Dawn
    And others
    If you have a good enough pc then you can just play the xbox exclusive games there, since they're all getting released on windows store for pc.

5+ Year Old Account
    My friends and I had a blast on the open betas.

Feels like an old school adventure/exploration game albeit obvious differences.

I haven't felt this much excitement while playing a game for a loooong time now.

It's great that you spend money on cosmetics and ship designs rather than IRL $ for lootboxes or pay2win.

I don't regret spending the money on this game because its a great investment for old farts like myself.
    "If you lose sight of something, the only person who can find it again is you"

Game is amazing. Friend and I played for about 4 hours last night as soon as it went live, found treasure and just in general loved it. My friend had never played it so it was all new to him.

One thing about the game though. Rare did absolutely nothing to explain how anything works. If it weren't for my time on Alpha, and the couple of videos I watched recently I'd have no idea what to do. And I had to explain all of it as well. Other than that gripe, it was amazing.

So how is this playing solo? I didn't have much interest in playing it but then I realized I could play it using the game pass but is it worth playing if you have no one to play with?

Deleted
    There's some smaller ship for solo players i think? dunno

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    So how is this playing solo? I didn't have much interest in playing it but then I realized I could play it using the game pass but is it worth playing if you have no one to play with?
    yes there is a sloop for 1-2 players. There is a learning curve some people struggle with single handing it, but you can get the hang of it. I've sailed single handed on 26-44ft sailboats in real life, and amazingly the thought process of multitasking a ship translated very well, which made it a lot of fun for me. sure its in no way the same thing, but they did a good job.

The best way to going about single handed is creating a rough adaptable hierarchy in your head of what you need to be doing and you'll get it down. keeping an eye out for hazards/ships and paying attention to heading and navigation is important. If you get in over your head, furling your sails to de-power your ship (also allows tighter turning), or dropping your anchor can quickly diffuse a chaotic situation. Luckily your helm, anchor and sail controls are all in the cockpit on the sloop, so it's easy to handle by yourself. only thing you need to leave the cockpit for is to check your navigation map down below.
    Last edited by Ornerybear; 2018-03-20 at 11:10 PM.

I'm apparently dog shit at following a map to find treasures. LOL

I recommend people give this video a watch.

Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD