Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    Deleted

Americanisms That Really Annoy British People

A little harmless fun but what Americanisms bugs you that creeps into your everyday life. Note this isn't slagging of Americans or America

Sounds like people they cry for the sake of crying.

I could care a very small amount.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I could care a very small amount.
    I couldn't care less

15+ Year Old Account
    I could care less still works, though. I don't know why people get so angry about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Don't really have any Americanisms that bug me... but the British over use of "isn't it?" Does a bit... since it ends in a question I have to force myself not to answer, which leaves my mind in an unresolved state for abit.
    Depends on the region I hate when Brits say "Innit though"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I couldn't care less
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I could care less still works, though. I don't know why people get so angry about it.
    I could care less. So, the importance to me is greater than zero.

It means the opposite of what the person in question wants to say.

Deleted
    Except it's the opposite of the intention

I could care less is the opposite of I couldn't care less

I don't get the floor thingy. First floor second floor. would make more sense if the first floor was the same as ground floor and the second floor the same as the first storey. But then again that wouldn't make sense either since a 2 storey building would then have two floors but only one storey. And for Americans it would be even more confusing as they don't even use storey but instead picked story. perhaps we need a new word

15+ Year Old Account
    Saying you could care less means you still care a little, and bothering to post that in a thread means you have to care some what. Don't get mad boyos.

I can't see a situation where it makes sense. The intent of the expression is "I do not care at all". To say you could care less implies that you do care at least some finite amount, else you wouldn't be able to care less.

edit seen your update, ok if your intent is to say you do care a little then it makes sense, but I don't think people used it in that way often? I'm not bothered though, I could care less.
    Last edited by Wezmon; 2018-03-15 at 04:15 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The British speak too fast for myself. And their sense of humor is odd. I watched some of their comedy shows and get this puzzled look on my face, that was suppose to be funny? like you , not knocking the Brits. One of America's closest allies.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Nothing is worse than "Addicting" instead of addictive. Its like nails on a chalk board to me.

Deleted
    Saying you could care less means you still care a little, and bothering to post that in a thread means you have to care some what. Don't get mad boyos.
    You're aware you're meant to say it in a situation where you don't care whatsoever

10+ Year Old Account
    What do British people think of the word Ya’ll. And how come you pronounce schedule wrong?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    One word to rule them all: "bigly"

It conveys almost no information, it's simply stating: I care about this to some undisclosed degree.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    One thing that confused me a lot in the first few weeks i was in the US was the difference between what american and british called the first floor, second floor, etc...

I've been taught all my life that the floor on street level is the lobby or ground floor and the first floor is right above it. Turns out american consider the lobby to be the first floor. Actually got me lost once.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    What do British people think of the word Ya’ll. And how come you pronounce schedule wrong?
    Brits say y'all we just pronounce it yer'all not ya'all