Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    He was greenlighted his own trilogy even before TLJ was released.

His pitch was: "This was fun, I wanna make more."
    Oh my bad, I got confused by what you were responding to, carry on.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

I really liked the movie... maybe because I'm 9 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    What Holdo did really fucks up star wars canon in a ton of ways. Because now they need to come up with a REALLY REALLY GOOD explanation to why they just didn't put a mon calimari cruiser on auto-pilot and have it go light speed into the second death star.
    Capital ships are expensive. Gravitational fields don't play well with hyperdrives.

Also its possible for a much, much larger ship to crash into a Death Star without really doing much to it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Public opinion of the Jedi was mixed even before the Clone War. Palpatine used Clone Wars to raise the anti-Jedi sentiments on the populace and once Order 66 was issued, the Jedi were officially branded as traitors to the Republic/Imperium.

After that it was two decades of Imperial propaganda and the fact that almost all Jedi were hunted to extincion.
    Labeling them as traitors makes people less likely to forget about them. Do you think America will forget about the Taliban if they disappear for 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Did you miss the part that in litteraly every media rather it be old eu or new canon there are shown to be Jedi survivors?

- - - Updated - - -

The prequels pretty much proved starwars is unkillable.
    Guess you missed the “movie story wise” part. If you don’t read or engage in EU and just go by the movies , the Jedi portrayed as being long dead and gone between revenge of the sith and a new hope.

And every prequel movie was vastly better story and plot and world building wise than The Last Jedi. Yes the acting was down right bad in many cases and the dialog often comes off as being written by a 6th grader, but there was a plot and story and universe building actually going on.

Rian Johnson had a fuck ton of storylines alley-ooped to him by TFA that he could have picked from and expanded upon at his discretion. Even if they weren’t the fan fiction ones people wanted. Instead of doing anything he chose to do nothing

Rey’s back story or parentage - nothing
    Snokes back story or motivation or even the scope of his powers- nothing
    Phasmas backstory, motivations,abilities- nothing
    Building Finns character to anything but the shallowest depths of cliches - nothing
    How Ben Solo came to the dark side or master of the knights of ren or who the knights of ren are or how snoke got him to come to the dark side, why he hates his dad- nothing

The last one is particularly annoying to me. Kylo could easily be one if not the most interesting characters in all of Star Wars movies. Instead he is portrayed as an angsty emo teenager with daddy issues that has a crush on the pretty girl even know grandpa doesn’t like “minorities” Part of that was casting Adam driver whose go-to acting ability is “look like your on the verge of crying all the time” but it’s mainly down to stilted writing/directing caused by Those in charge completely shutting down any attempt at character building and depth.

All of TLJ does 0 character building. It comes across its main purpose was destroy already established characters and story lines.

As I’ve stated before, I didn’t hate TLJ as a whole. As a plot/story I found it pure dogshit though. Just one mans opinion.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

What is with these sad losers who obsess over rotten tomatoes scores and imagine conspiracies or try to artificially influence it?

Different people have different tastes in movies, fucking deal with it. I don't agree with half the scores on that site, or any review site frankly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    What Holdo did really fucks up star wars canon in a ton of ways. Because now they need to come up with a REALLY REALLY GOOD explanation to why they just didn't put a mon calimari cruiser on auto-pilot and have it go light speed into the second death star.
    Why doesn't the Rebellion build hundreds of kamikaze A-Wings and use them to suicide bomb the bridges of Star Destroyers and Super Star Destroyers?

[Insert fanwank here]

Or accept it's just a movie :P

- - - Updated - - -

Public opinion of the Jedi was mixed even before the Clone War. Palpatine used Clone Wars to raise the anti-Jedi sentiments on the populace and once Order 66 was issued, the Jedi were officially branded as traitors to the Republic/Imperium.

After that it was two decades of Imperial propaganda and the fact that almost all Jedi were hunted to extincion.
    But anti-Jedi propaganda is hard to sell at the same time as "the Jedi never existed, what are you talking about?".

Let's be real, Lucas just fumbled that one in the prequels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Whoops
    Actually, TLJ was a financial disaster:

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    I have to disagree on this one, the anti-reveal of Rey's parents was completely set up in TFA, to the point that any reveal that her parents were any known characters would've been a tough pill to swallow.

We know exactly who her parents are, TFA shows us. They sold their daughter into slavery and then jetted off and never came back. She's obsessed with the idea that they'll come back one day to the point of wanting to abandon the rest of the film and return to Jakku, which is an insane plan. They're obviously never coming back and she's just living in a fantasy where her parents are other than what she knows them to be, and one day they'll return and rescue her and her life will be good again. It's a delusion, hint hint.

For TLJ to have revealed her parents to actually be an established character (presumably a Force user), you'd have to explain why some beloved character like Luke, Leia or Obi-Wan sold their kid into slavery and never checked in on her. The only way you could do that is by revealing that the entire story we heard about her parents in TFA was a lie or ruse or something, and that's just narrative cheating - it's unsatisfying and stupid.

The only sensible and consistent resolution to her backstory is that her parents are exactly who we were shown they were in TFA. I was saying that since the film came out...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Veldoranz View Post
    Everyone I know disliked the Last Jedi.
    Everyone I know hated the Transformers films, they're demonstrably fucking garbage, but they made five of the fucking things and are working on a spin-off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    https://youtu.be/tNoMQSvNAWE?t=1731 perfectly sums up the new Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    The Last Jedi is not a bad movie, and if it was a standalone, non Star Wars movie, there would be no backlash. Its just a small, vocal minority of butthurt fans.
    Subjective. False. False.

I think TLJ was a terrible movie. Who is right? Both and neither. It's an opinion and they have no place in a discussion without facts to support the opinion.

My reasoning behind why TLJ is a terrible movie has nothing to do with it being a Star Wars movie. The backlash is severe because people are passionate about Star Wars. The backlash would still exist without the SW name but would be less visible. I also believe more critics would have panned the movie had it NOT been a SW movie simply because their expectations of a quality film with the SW name is so low. It's like Donald Trump performing in a debate. If he doesn't physically attack his opponent and gets a few zingers in his score is inflated due to a complete lack of expectation.

The number of people who are vocal about their dislike of this movie is not a small number of fans. No one knows the exact percentage or number but most sites that track viewer score have it around 50/50 give or take a few points. Don't understate the importance or number of fans who dislike TLJ simply because you disagree with them. I know it makes you feel more secure to be in the majority, but you can't undervalue other opinions. If you like TLJ that's great, I'm happy you enjoyed it. I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. Stick to your opinion and let it stand on it's own merits. You don't have to tear down the feelings of others to prop up your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Actually, TLJ was a financial disaster:

-Snip-
    The movie made 1.3 billion dollars. It was the most profitable film of 2017. The highest grossing film in 2017. The second highest grossing Star Wars film. The fourth highest grossing Disney film, the sixth highest grossing film in America and the 9th highest grossing film of all time.

Those guys have, I stopped counting at 20, videos bitching about Star Wars. Lol, I say good sir, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I have to disagree on this one, the anti-reveal of Rey's parents was completely set up in TFA, to the point that any reveal that her parents were any known characters would've been a tough pill to swallow.

We know exactly who her parents are, TFA shows us.
    Rey's parents being nobody's is amazing. It moves away from the lineage, destiny, legacy bullshit that made Star Wars generic and boring.

Snokes back story or motivation or even the scope of his powers- nothing
    Snoke is exactly like the emperor in the original trilogy. We didn't know shit about hat guy either, and it didn't matter.
    Last edited by Elba; 2018-04-08 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xqt View Post
    One of my favourite critiques of the film. If you enjoyed that I strongly suggest watching this one as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QJRw56cOVw

Quote Originally Posted by xqt View Post
    One of my favourite critiques of the film. If you enjoyed that I strongly suggest watching this one as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QJRw56cOVw
    Thanks for these, angry man children impotently raging always cracks me up. So mad.

Listening to someone else's opinion on the movie is pointless. Another reference is game critics. Just as bad if not worse.

If you think you want to see or play something, do it. Don't let others influence your experience.
    Last edited by Sastank; 2018-04-08 at 02:46 AM.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Thanks for these, angry man children impotently raging always cracks me up. So mad.
    Fuckin go away Elba, no one likes you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sastank View Post
    Listening to someone else's opinion on the movie is pointless. Another reference is game critics. Just as bad if not worse.

If you think you want to see or play something, do it. Don't let others influence your experience.
    Gonna feel really bad after you have wasted your money on a turd.

Fuckin go away Elba, no one likes you.
    But my mom says I'm cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    It's really no secret that many of the critics on RT are unreliable and tend to rate movies based on what they think people want to hear, vs. the actual quality of the movie.

There's no way in hell Black Panther deserved a 97% like it was leagues above every other similar Marvel origin movie they cranked out. In my experience, the audience scoring is a much more reliable scale of a movie's rating.
    Reviewing movies isn't a real job, people shouldn't be getting paid to do it, and I will never respect anyone who refers to themselves as a "professional critic".

And we all know black panthers praise is 50% "it was a good movie" and 50% "it's not white guys this time, amazing!"

The movie made 1.3 billion dollars. It was the most profitable film of 2017. The highest grossing film in 2017. The second highest grossing Star Wars film. The fourth highest grossing Disney film, the sixth highest grossing film in America and the 9th highest grossing film of all time.

Those guys have, I stopped counting at 20, videos bitching about Star Wars. Lol, I say good sir, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Rey's parents being nobody's is amazing. It moves away from the lineage, destiny, legacy bullshit that made Star Wars generic and boring.

Snoke is exactly like the emperor in the original trilogy. We didn't know shit about hat guy either, and it didn't matter.
    its just riding on the coat tails of the Star Wars name. Yes it was a high grossing movie, but with a low rating are many people really going to come back to it? i think most will watch it just because its Star Wars, but some will decide to wait till the movie comes to video before watching it, or instead try for a copy another way.