Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Hey man, they can go live elsewhere. I don't stomp on eagle nests and steal their eggs when I go hiking, coyotes eating cats can fuck off.

Actually there's a couple of homeless guys who I am friendly with who hang out at the local grocery store, two of them are conservative and love guns, looks like a good job for the two of them if sober. Great suggestion (srs). They're usually sober.
    You just gotta follow the Swamp people motto like what Troy says "CHOOT EM!" Just get yourself a big ol gun and a pair of night vision goggles. If the coyotes reproduce and in higher numbers, Choot em again.

This video covers alligators but it applies to all wild animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Dogs should not be left to roam around freely either. They're more easy to confine to a yard however since they can't just climb the fence like cats do.
    you've never had siberian huskies have you lol

Where I'm from we had a problem with coydogs getting a bit to fearless. They wandered into my sisters barn while we were all they doing chores. That's now one dead pack. Our solution isn't nice. Here we call them in with a recording of a screaming rabbit( you can download the recording off the internet, I wouldn't let anyone I know torture a rabbit just for the cry) or a recording of a kitten crying. Brings them in most of the night, can pick them off. We use an amber lens over a spotlight, see the glow of the eyes you shoot. We used to leave the corpse laced with poison, but now the pelts are actually worth money. Anytime there is a hunt, we let everyone in the area know to keep dogs locked up( thankfully we've never shot anyone's dog doing this, but we have gotten a fox once). Generally we do it once a year and it seems to help tremendously. I don't hear anymore reports of farmers losing calves, or people losing dogs to the packs anymore. Now if we could just do something about the "new" population of mountain lions I'd be happy, a friend lost a horse to one last winter.

Deleted
    Was going to make a post about this topic elsewhere but I guess it wouldn't hurt to post here too.

I live about a mile away from downtown Portland and for some reason our neighborhood has a massive coyote problem. I lost my indoor/outdoor rescue back in October (see previous cat threads as to why he was indoor/outdoor), and several neighbors have complained about cats going missing, finding out their cat was eaten by a coyote by animal control or finding the remains of their cat in their backyard. An entire feral cat colony was wiped out at the other end of the neighborhood. About a third of the neighborhood is keeping their cats in now, but not all of them.

Anyway, last night I was out walking my dog when this coyote (who looked to be less than 2 years old and was as tall as my 70-lb Golden Retriever) came out of the shadows and attacked a cat about 15 feet in front of us. He did the kill shake and attempted to carry the cat off in his mouth. I chased him off, yelling while my dog was going crazy and barking at him. He dropped the cat, ran off about half a block and tried circling back. He was pretty bold. At this point I got really mad and my dog and I chased the fucker a good quarter of a mile, to the other end of our neighborhood before he disappeared behind a hole in a fence. We went back to where the cat was attacked but couldn't find it anywhere. I have no idea how injured the cat was. I left a note on the front door of the people who lived at the house (who didn't answer the door when I knocked, probably heard me yelling at the coyote and thought I was a nutjob) and went home.

Any suggestions on what to do? Animal control was closed today so I'll probably call tomorrow and make a stink about it. I can't force neighbors to keep their cats inside, but then again I'm quite sure not all of them are on social media and know how bad the problem is (it's far worse than the two neighborhoods in Pdx I lived in before, I see half eaten animals on a regular basis here). Thinking I should pass out some fliers and let people know that way. I don't think animal control is going to do much, and I heard that removing coyotes (whether by culling them or via catch and release) can actually cause the females to go into heat and make the problem worse. The coyote I saw was too big for a catch and release trap anyway.

Not really expecting much in the way of suggestions but maybe someone here can think of something I haven't thought of.

Dont you live in murica? Buy an AR-15, problem solved?

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    buy a real dog instead of them ankle biters and he'll protect your cat... if your cat isnt a dick to him
    Which part of "golden retriever" is too hard to understand?

Oh, yeah, that would mean reading the OP before replying.

Was going to make a post about this topic elsewhere but I guess it wouldn't hurt to post here too.
    actually cause the females to go into heat and make the problem worse. The coyote I saw was too big for a catch and release trap anyway.

Not really expecting much in the way of suggestions but maybe someone here can think of something I haven't thought of.
    I don't see a problem here, you feed the wildlife and lower the pet population. If you let your pets run free you're a bad pet owner.

A recent study showed about 8% of urban coyote diet is cat.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Can we have some of those Coyotes please? Neighbourhood cats are a plague and make a lot of noise at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Sounds like there are too many bad cat owners then or many feral cats.

As has been stated before Cats harm nature, Coyotes don't.
    Globally, there are about 500 million cats, half of them feral. F. catus is by far the most successful species of felid.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

get a neighborhood hunt together is the best idea, we had some issues with some and while i don't hunt/shoot some neighbors do and they hunted them down at night. If they are after cats they will / can go after other animals/kids. Sometimes even adults, esp if rabid.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Kill it with fire, kill every single member of the pack. Coyotes are dangerous and not only for cats.

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    That option works for cats with irresponsible owners just as well.
    Yeah, we get it, you hate cats. Fortunately, in the real world where we live in, killing someone's pet isn't acceptable. And not in terms of being looked down upon, but being against the law. If a cat is really bothering you, the humane (and correct) solution is to rent a trap, trap the cat, and dump it far away. Cat problem is gone.

Coyotes and other predators are actually a threat to people, or even their livelihood. If someone owns a pet chicken or other caged, cooped, etc outdoor animals, they can't just 'bring them inside'. All of this said, a lot of the things people are saying is true; killing them normally isn't a perfectly viable solution.

If this coyote is in fact a hybrid though, it's justified to put it down, especially if this one in particular is that brazen. Culling a population won't work, killing the ones that are causing problems and threatening a neighborhood might, though.

Deleted
    Sounds like you need a shotgun to cull them.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly could not believe how big this coyote was. It was the size of my Golden Retriever. Thought it was a dog until it stepped into the light.
    Coyote males average 18 to 44 lb (8 to 20 kg) in weight, while females average 15 to 40 lb (7 to 18 kg), though size varies geographically. Northern subspecies, which average 40 lb (18 kg), tend to grow larger than the southern subspecies of Mexico, which average 25 lb (11.5 kg)

Are you sure it was not a small wolf? Or you may have come across a cross breed. Coyotes do cross breed with feral dogs and wolves even. Not unheard of.

Here, we just shoot them if they are seen out in the daylight. Which is rare.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    We get them in LO as well.

You are not suppose to shoot within city limits but if I see a coyote in my back yard it is going to die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah they said they had jurisdiction.
    Hey you're right, ODFW does have jurisdiction. They have the jurisdiction to refer you to a Wildlife Control Operator.

https://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife...r_contacts.asp

There's no coyote catchers listed in Portland ... must be a thankless job there. But there's a few in Tualatin and Salem.

Some coyotes were attacking the cat shaking the heck of her. The other family pet was a pit bull who saved the cat. Cat is recovering.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    We live in an area with coyotes. We keep our cat indoors at all times.

The coyotes are native to the area, cats are not. You can't really be too surprised that a natural predator is going to take advantage of easy prey in an area.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    nice liberal idea. bury your head in the sand.
    Since when is it a liberal idea to keep pets indoors ? Gtfo

i'm so glad i live in boring old the UK, where the most we have to worry about in terms of animals are retarded dog owners that dont secure their dogs.