Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If Ryan is getting $100M guaranteed, I don't want to even think about what Wilson will be asking for.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't wait 'til Winston signs an extension and sinks that franchise.

I'm picking the Saints for SB, I can't pick the Rams until they manage to get their helmets and uniforms to match.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Right and the years before 2016 weren't superstar quality either. He's had one great year. One.
    No quarterback in NFL history has had more passing yards than Matt Ryan (41,796) in his first 10 seasons

Right, one great season. He is easily a clear cut great starter in the league and you have to pay those QBs the big bucks. Plus with the cap increasing every year these "giant" contracts aren't taking nearly as big of a % as people make them out.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2018-05-04 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    No quarterback in NFL history has had more passing yards than Matt Ryan (41,796) in his first 10 seasons

Right, one great season. He is easily a clear cut great starter in the league and you have to pay those QBs the big bucks. Plus with the cap increasing every year these "giant" contracts aren't taking nearly as big of a % as people make them out.
    Take that 10 year stat with a grain of salt. This is a different passing era then it ever was. QBs are more protected and the rules help support offense. So I'm curious to see some of the 10 year yardage stats for some of the QBs drafted over the past couple of years when they hit 10 years.

Is he a good QB? Sure. Is he above average? Yup. Is he a superstar? No. He's not even the best QB in his division let alone the NFC or AFC. Ryan had his worst year since 2011 in yards, completion percentage and touchdowns. Yet they are paying him as if he came off of his best season in '16. But hey, I'm glad they backed up the trucks and dumped cash on him. Like I said, as a Saints fan I'm quite happy with Ryan being their QB.

I get the increase in cap space and QBs taking their percentage but for Ryan to be the first 30mil QB and highest paid in the league (until Rodgers breaks it this year Im sure) is a bit silly to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ryan has been durable, I think only Rivers & Eli started more games than him over that ten year span. He deserves a good contract, but a $2mil annual leap over the previous high is why I laugh.

I laughed when Stafford got a $2mil av bump over Carr too, but not as much because the Lions aren't division rivals.

Someday teams will realize paying their QB 20% of the salary cap completely hinders there teams ability to win. Look at the winners of SBs in recent history. None of them had QBs on mega contracts. I could be wrong if someone wants to check, but I'm fairly certain Brady and Peyton are the only QBs to be making over 10m a year at the time of there teams winning a Super Bowl. Rodgers made 7m, Brees made 6.5m, Flacco 6.5m, Russel made less than 1m, Big Ben made less than 2m during both SB seasons combined, Wentz 7m. Everyone says you NEED to pay these QBs, yet its proven to not be a recipe for success.

10+ Year Old Account
    OTC did a lot of research on the subject a few years ago, gonna dig up the articles...

Super Bowl winners 1994-2013 and their QB salaries
    https://overthecap.com/super-bowl-ti...-quarterbacks/

Top cap hits for Super Bowl winners 1994-2014
    https://overthecap.com/analyzing-top...r-bowl-champs/

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    OTC did a lot of research on the subject a few years ago, gonna dig up the articles...

Super Bowl winners 1994-2013 and their QB salaries
    https://overthecap.com/super-bowl-ti...-quarterbacks/

Top cap hits for Super Bowl winners 1994-2014
    https://overthecap.com/analyzing-top...r-bowl-champs/
    Ah yea I forgot about Eli, fitting since I'm a Pats fan I blocked him from my memory. So include Eli with Peyton and Brady as only QBs to make over 10m and win a SB.

Quote Originally Posted by ramayana1423 View Post
    Someday teams will realize paying their QB 20% of the salary cap completely hinders there teams ability to win. Look at the winners of SBs in recent history. None of them had QBs on mega contracts. I could be wrong if someone wants to check, but I'm fairly certain Brady and Peyton are the only QBs to be making over 10m a year at the time of there teams winning a Super Bowl. Rodgers made 7m, Brees made 6.5m, Flacco 6.5m, Russel made less than 1m, Big Ben made less than 2m during both SB seasons combined, Wentz 7m. Everyone says you NEED to pay these QBs, yet its proven to not be a recipe for success.
    Well Brady has been one of the ones doing team friendly cap hits though I still think he had a decent cap hit in '16 when they won the super bowl. It sure is easier if you can win a super bowl with a QB on a rookie deal though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Well Brady has been one of the ones doing team friendly cap hits though I still think he had a decent cap hit in '16 when they won the super bowl. It sure is easier if you can win a super bowl with a QB on a rookie deal though.
    This year will be the second season ever his cap hit is over 15m, 2014 was the other when it was 17m.

Quote Originally Posted by ramayana1423 View Post
    This year will be the second season ever his cap hit is over 15m, 2014 was the other when it was 17m.
    Wish other QBs took Brady like deals. Looks like Brady is a 22mil cap hit this season, so an 8mil jump from the prior year. For example Drew Brees is a 24 mil cap hit this year and a monster cap hit next year because of how the Saints have structured his contract over the years. So Brady did friendly deals for a long time and is finally over 20m. Now we have 30mil QBs not named, Brady/Brees/Rodgers. What a weird market.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think most frachises wished their QB would take less so they could bulk up the team in FA and for long term to get them in SB contention.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

10+ Year Old Account
    I think other players see Brady take the team friendly deals, and then watch the Patriots get rid of all his receivers and OLineman anyway and think it wouldn't be so good a deal for them to do it.

Brady is a very specific circumstance. The only other comparable situation in sports that I am aware of was Tim Duncan (And I guess any of the major Spurs players during this era). You have consistent ownership and head coach. They show a clear ability to surround you with adequate talent and spend the money well seemingly year after year. They are consistently in the playoffs and very often real contenders for the title and have showed this ability for over a decade.

It makes sense to take a discount, since you know they will actually use the money and more often than not use it well. Which increases your odds of making a real push. If these other QBs took a discount who knows what the teams would do with the money. The amount of QBs with a rotating door of head coaches/GMs is pretty big. So, if you are lucky and have had consistently good head coach, then are you consistently a real contender for the title? If not 5-10 million isn’t going to magically change your outcome (It would help, but likely not enough).

No one else IMO is in a position where it makes sense to take a big cut so no one else does. It takes a perfect storm for these Duncan/Brady players to be in a position where they can take the big pay cut and feel like it will actually be worth it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Seattle released Avril, as expected. Probably use the money to extend someone or hold onto it for injuries this season.
    Last edited by MAGAmobile; 2018-05-04 at 07:15 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I think other players see Brady take the team friendly deals, and then watch the Patriots get rid of all his receivers and OLineman anyway and think it wouldn't be so good a deal for them to do it.
    Well for the last few years Brady has had his core group of receivers and they always overlap when they had Moss and Welker they got rid of Moss and gained Gronkowski and Edelman (eventho he didnt play much WR at the start) but then when Welker left Edelman stepped in to take the spot and thats since 2010 basicly and since 2013 Amendola joined so he had a fixed core, i still think if Malcolm Mitchell didnt get injured before the season started he would have had a great season but even then i still think he will do very well this season, Now we will have to see if that new receiver they took will be good enough to play in this system.

Call it the circle of the Patriots if you like but it works and it gets them to Superbowls and you cant be mad at BB getting rid of players coz clearly his system works.
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2018-05-04 at 07:38 PM.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    I have to cast a voodoo hex on the saints this year. Not that I really dislike them, but the Packers have there first round pick.
    Hey step off! You can get a quality player with the 32nd pick next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Mild voodoo hex then!
    Heh I'd just be happy the Packers got a first at all for moving down in the first round. By every trade metric I've seen the Saints paid way too much to move up.

Brady is an even more unique circumstance than Tim Duncan, seeing as Brady's wife makes more than him, allowing him to take these team-friendly deals.

With how important the QB position is, and the demand so high, should it be on the QB to simply say "Oh, well, I'll take less money?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Brady is an even more unique circumstance than Tim Duncan, seeing as Brady's wife makes more than him, allowing him to take these team-friendly deals.

With how important the QB position is, and the demand so high, should it be on the QB to simply say "Oh, well, I'll take less money?"
    With the odd exception, no one makes close to QBs, sure they are usually the most deserving to be the highest paid on their team, but by that much?