Page 1 of 24
... LastLast

DDoS'er of WoW Jailed for 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    A World of Warcraft gamer has been sentenced to jail in the US for carrying out a cyber-attack that interfered with the service in Europe.

LINK
    Woo !

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    This kind of punishment should be even more common. Let's hope it happens more.

this is ridiculous
    now the guy will probably come out with hiv or hanghimself cause of a stupid joke

Quote Originally Posted by EternalBany View Post
    this is ridiculous
    now the guy will probably come out with hiv or hanghimself cause of a stupid joke
    "Joke" ?

this is ridiculous
    And will the world be a worse place due to it ?

We need even harsher punishment. Not to fuck over that one guy who got caught. But to fear others to not do the same shit.

Thousands of players were caught up in the resulting disruption.
    Well deserved IRL ban.

this is ridiculous
    sorry attempting to ruin someones business does not fall under "it's a prank bro"

there are real paying customers unable to play the game they have paid for, and continue to pay monthly for, this looks bad on blizzards part, and it's all because some idiot thinks DDoS is ok.

well it's not it's illegal, don't break the law, you won't end up in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    This kind of punishment should be even more common. Let's hope it happens more.
    Let's not. Companies need to get better at protecting their infrastructure, the society doesn't need to get better at punishing individuals not harmful to it. I guess we should also jail anyone who sends too much mail causing your package to be delayed by a few days, by your standards.

I hope they get them all. Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Let's not. Companies need to get better at protecting their infrastructure, the society doesn't need to get better at punishing individuals not harmful to it. I guess we should also jail anyone who sends too much mail causing your package to be delayed by a few days, by your standards.
    that would be more like a postal company unable to reliably deliver any packages for 7-8 months. not just a few days.

would you be fine with 1 idiot causing all your mail to be late or unreliable for 7-8 months? or should that idiot face a jail time for breaking the law?

oh and those packages have a time limit to by delivered by it's a business you're hurting their business, causing loss of profits.
    Last edited by Socialhealer; 2018-05-08 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    DDoS is not "sending too much mail"
    It literally is.

There's a considerable difference to a few mailings to a DDoS attack that are thousands or millions of data bombardments per second...

It literally is.
    No, no it's not...

Deleted
    A DDOS attack isnt you sending to much mail. Sorry. It was planned to try and cripple Blizzards servers. Malintent. Jail time definitely deserved

Why someone would do this from within the US or EU (and a small handful of nations outside of that) is pretty dumb founded. Just get your horde of Russian / Asian buddies to nuke shit from within countries that enjoy ruining everyone's internet meme's instead of those that actually might do something about it. Seems like a pretty stupid kid. Not saying what he did is ok and in fact I do not understand why people do this shit at all anyway. If I don't like a product I just don't participate in it. What is with the need to make sure NO ONE participates with something these days if you don't like it. Sure if we are talking death camps fight the good fight but computer games? Get bent.

Lets not try and pretend your example is in any way comparable to a malicious attack on a business "for the luls".

Deleted
    Yes, because sending a lot of legit mail is totally the same as doing a deliberate DDOS on game servers...

So, uhm, protect your house better if you don't want people to break in, because it's not society's problem.
    Wear body armor, instead of asking society to make murder illegal.
    Stop being stupid, instead of expecting society to make identity theft illegal.
    Well, the list goes on.

Just because it's digital, doesn't mean you can attack without consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    There's a considerable difference to a few mailings to a DDoS attack that are thousands or millions of data bombardments per second...

No, no it's not...
    Yes, yes it is. Causing your local postbox to have to process several thousands of mailing is the exact same as causing a server to process several billion requests. One happens in the span of hours, one in the span of days. The outcome is the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    So, uhm, protect your house better if you don't want people to break in, because it's not society's problem.
    I guess you would be surprised to find your home robbed if you left the door open?

Yes, yes it is. Causing your local postbox to have to process several thousands of mailing is the exact same as causing a server to process several billion requests. One happens in the span of hours, one in the span of days. The outcome is the same.
    and you're paying a lot of money for that service, you're a paying customer how much does it cost to send thousands of mails?

where as DDoS gives blizzard nothing but a headache, puts their servers down and affects their profits, oh and it's illegal you keep missing that part.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I guess you would be surprised to find your home robbed if you left the door open?
    lol door open. if you was worth the time (and you're not) anyone could get your IP and DDoS you making your internet useless.

why is your door open?

Seems a bit fucked to me. Getting extradited to a US jail over this? I mean he's an idiot and deserves some punishment but this seems a bit harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    and you're paying a lot of money for that service, you're a paying customer how much does it cost to send thousands of mails?

where as DDoS gives blizzard nothing but a headache, puts their servers down and affects their profits, oh and it's illegal you keep missing that part.
    So it's a matter of cost. Well, just because someone can afford it, should that make it illegal? You are arguing details and you know it.