Poll: World of Warcraft 2?

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Is it time for World of Warcraft 2?

WOW got kinda stale. I know they keep improving this 15 year old engine all the time, but it has its limitations. Wouldn't a brand new engine with far better visuals be the boost WOW needs? It would also create a big buzz and bring many new players in because there are a lot of people who don't want to play a 13 year old game and it doesn't matter to them that it basically is being reset and improved every expansion.

They could do it like Final Fantasy 11 -> 14 - starting completely fresh. FF 14 was very very successful (second time around, but that's another story)

Your thoughts?

For the 100th time.

No.

/end thread

I'd love to see your source that "a lot of people" aren't playing it for the reasons you listed however.

Considering how much the game has changed since vanilla were up to like WoW 4 or something like that.

7+ Year Old Account
    just like the other million times, the answer is still and will probably always be just a big fat

No

Formerly known as Arafal

WoW visuals are exactly what the devs want them to be. In many regards, WoW has the best "engine" for open world mmo games. WoW2 would renew some interest, but it's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    For the 100th time.

No.

/end thread

I'd love to see your source that "a lot of people" aren't playing it for the reasons you listed however.
    I'd love to see your source for your "no" being everyone's opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Crovyn View Post
    I'd love to see your source for your "no" being everyone's opinion
    I'm not the one making the claim here but nice try at deflecting.

Now provide a source please for the claim you made.

Please show me where "lots of people" are not choosing to play WoW due to the reasons you listed. I'm not saying you are right or wrong. Just asking you to provide a source to a claim you made.

MMORPG's is not a popular genre at the moment, but who knows if Blizzard can pull off the same succes again. I doubt that they'd try as they have been following the popular trends with their latest games that started somewhere else. Games like HotS, Hearthstone and Overwatch are the popular genres as of now and I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzards next game is going to be a Battle Royale. They pretty much abandoned SC2 and D3 at this point.

I think people would only be fine with a WoW 2 if they can transfer all of their progress from WoW 1, but that kinda defeats the purpose of a whole new game. Your meant to start all the way over which is part of the experience. But if they do not get their progress, I very much doubt that they'd leave WoW behind as its just to much of their investments that they leave behind. I like the idea of a WoW 2 that can freshen up the title a bit with new and improved gameplay mechanics and features, but its not something Blizzard would be interested into if it doesn't make them enough money.

Cataclysm was basically WoW 2.0

For the same reason why all the "new, better and improved" wow clones failed. And for the same reason when wow was still opening new servers they all ended up desolated.

People play this game due to attachment to their characters / achievements / collections, and their friends, and sense of nostalgia. Delete this and you lose majority of playerbase.

Imagine a player who got banned and lost all his belongings. Will he buy a fresh account and restart, or will he just quit? Many quit because they don't care to do it all over again.

Generally all these "WOW 2" threads are the same cheesewheel rolled over and again. Usually from someone who thinks either:
    1. Graphic is the most important part of the game - well nope, check some popular indie games like binding of isaac, undertale, darkest dungeon, wizard of legend, etc. games with "retro" graphic and still succeeded
    2. "Oh no some people play WOW longer than me so they have more stuff than me or stuff I can't obtain anymore, reset everyone to square one" - ofc that one comes from jealousy and saltiness so can't be taken seriously

Anyway now that we have wow tokens Blizzard has absolutely zero incentive to kill the cash cow that is goldbuying in WOW. They have all the incentives to promote it and support the game as long as it can last and bring profit. Splintering playerbase into another MMO (WOW2, Titan, World of Starcraft, you name all the ideas people had) has detrimental effect to the income potential of tokens. They will never do it, unless WOW is dead and buried. And while some claim it is, the profit reports from Blizzard / Activision claim otherwise.

Not enough money in mmos now to justify completely starting over. Also no company wants to spend a lot of time and money to piss off and potentially push away long paying customers.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

For the 100th time.

Yes.

/end thread

Quote Originally Posted by Crovyn View Post
    WOW got kinda stale. I know they keep improving this 15 year old engine all the time, but it has its limitations. Wouldn't a brand new engine with far better visuals be the boost WOW needs? It would also create a big buzz and bring many new players in because there are a lot of people who don't want to play a 13 year old game and it doesn't matter to them that it basically is being reset and improved every expansion.

They could do it like Final Fantasy 11 -> 14 - starting completely fresh. FF 14 was very very successful (second time around, but that's another story)

Your thoughts?
    Better visuals? WoW has been getting those for its entire lifetime. If there is need for WoW 2, there has to be something bigger than just visuals. Also, a lot of people like or are fine with the current art style. I don't think it will be WoW if it's made in a more-realistic way.

10+ Year Old Account
    i would love to see a new graphics engine and possibly some tweaks to the UI, but overall i love WoW and have for the past 13 yrs, so whilst i think graphically it could use some love, its still overall one of the better games in the genre

I think a new intellectual property is the way to go.

I think it's a real, sad shame that they cancelled Titan rather than working with it and making it into a sci-fi WoW universe.
    If we could all sit and talk without demonizing one another and attempt to understand the opposite point of view, the collective world would be a better place. Mental bigotry is the worst of all.

Going to be honest I think MMOs are dead. I play WoW still because I have for so long and have so many friends though the game that we use it as a platform to interact together with while keeping busy with something all at the same time. But I dont think it was the game it once was. Once I am done with WoW odds are pretty high I am done with MMOs for good too. I have tired way to many of them over the decade to think its going to change anytime soon. I have a feeling if WoW was suddenly shutdown tomorrow a lot of people that play it would just not play MMOs instead of finding a new one. Just a personal opinion though.

No.

Risking everything on "WoW 2" just to MAYBE draw in people whom left the current title and aren't happy with WoW regardless, would be a retarded business decision considering how WoW is 14 years old and still raking in billion-dollar figures.

I'm a very loyal customer, and I would see WoW 2 as my cue to leave. No other MMORPG has held my interest for more than 70 hours of /played in total. WoW has held my interest for 9 years straight. I'd sooner give up MMORPGs than start over again.

No.

That is, I wouldn't play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

Also there is no need to start a new thread. Find one of the old threads about WoW2 and contribute your comment there.
    If you take the wings off of a fly, is it a walk?

This game is literally WoW 7 right now, the amount of changes since the very beginning is enormous.