Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Question Why are we still using old graphics

They don't need to make a WoW2 they just need to upgrade the graphics engine to unreal engine or the one below it which 7 days to die currently uses which they are upgrading to unreal engine in it's end alpha phase anyways back to the point.. As we all know world of warcraft stopped supporting older systems so since most people using newer computers and what not don't we all think it's time they need to upgrade the engine on to par of today's era of computers?
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean with "old graphics"? The cartoon look? Because that is here to stay and couldn't be recreated with unreal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm quite fine with the engine as it is.

I just wish they'd update ALL THE OLD MODELS(mounts mostly) - though that is a huge task and probably why they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dartz1979 View Post
    They don't need to make a WoW2 they just need to upgrade the graphics engine to unreal engine or the one below it which 7 days to die currently uses which they are upgrading to unreal engine in it's end alpha phase anyways back to the point.. As we all know world of warcraft stopped supporting older systems so since most people using newer computers and what not don't we all think it's time they need to upgrade the engine on to par of today's era of computers?

Hahaha. No, that isn't how this works. They can make the graphical changes in their own engine by upgrading it. They have built, and added to their own engine, since day one.

Attempting to move WoW to Unreal would be a disaster. Also, it would not be an "upgrade." Unreal is not the king of game engines. It's wonderful yes, I'm learning to use it right now. Creating a proprietary engine, which is what Blizz has done, can be very beneficial. Their engine as is can handle updated graphics. As I assume you mean old textures being upgraded.

If you mean changing from the current graphical aesthetic, then fuck no. That's how wow was made to look.

Why don't you people understand it's a bloody graphics STYLE i.e. a hand-drawn, almost cartoon-y, and ageless graphics style that'll look beautiful and sharp even 20 years down the line. WoW doesn't need a graphics update to make it "realistic".
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Deleted
    Unreal Engine isn't free. You need to share your profits with Epic (5 % of your game revenue). This is one.

Second. Money gain depends on number of people playing (subscriptions) so Blizzard wants to get to as many people as it can. Therefore game needs to run on average machine owned by average Joe.

Third using different engine (here Unreal Engine) makes most of their game code useless (it's not copy paste as you think). It would be easier to create new game from the scratch than importing and bug testing old code.

Fourth. Infinite hours needed for new models, animations, textures etc.

People thinking WoW needs Unreal level or realistic graphics...

Lol.

WoW's engine struggles to make use of multiple cores which is why, regardless of how powerful your PC is, you end up bottlenecking in raid environments. This is why many people argue for an engine upgrade. It has little to do with graphics.

Deleted
    How about new engine, same graphics? Easily doable.

I would like more fps with that monster machine I have in some situations.

7+ Year Old Account

Aww yes 7 days to die, These graphics would make wow look amazing
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2018-05-30 at 05:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Awsumpossum View Post
    WoW's engine struggles to make use of multiple cores which is why, regardless of how powerful your PC is, you end up bottlenecking in raid environments. This is why many people argue for an engine upgrade. It has little to do with graphics.
    Agreed. But for this they would upgrade their current engine. Or build a new one which works with WoW and move it to that. Another tailored engine like the first, but improved optimization.

Moving to Unreal (lol, not possible) isn't the answer for that.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post

Aww yes 7 days to die, lts make wow look like this its amazing.
    lmfao, oh... oh god.

I don't think you understand graphics or art style.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

as soon as you said "they just need to upgrade the graphics engine to unreal engine or the one below it which 7 days to die currently uses" i knew you had no idea what you were saying. you can not simply change engines. changing engines completely means making wow 2. they would have to making EVERYTHING again from the ground up. the best they can do is upgrade the current engine and push it to its limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodraw View Post
    Why don't you people understand it's a bloody graphics STYLE i.e. a hand-drawn, almost cartoon-y, and ageless graphics style that'll look beautiful and sharp even 20 years down the line. WoW doesn't need a graphics update to make it "realistic".
    Hear, hear!

Even "unreal" graphics don't look life-like. Sometimes I wonder if we'll ever play a video game where actual game-play looks life-like. I play WWE2k games, and even 2k18, as real as it looks, it doesn't look and move exactly like real-life pro wrestlers, they still look cartoon-ish. I kind of prefer my video games like that anyway, as far as high fantasy like WoW goes especially.

Yes, lets make it look like every generic mmo/game out there. Also, it's not as easy as "upgrading the graphics engine" - they'd literally have to remake the game.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post

Aww yes 7 days to die, lts make wow look like this its amazing.
    Make it look like a 10 year old game?

Edit: just googled. This game apparently is only 5 years old, but has graphics comparable to GTA IV, which is 10 years old.
    Last edited by WurstKaeseSzenario; 2018-05-30 at 04:29 PM.

Deleted
    WoW has its own style and it is beautiful. I disagree that it is cartoonish, although it has some cartoonish elements.

However, too much of the old content is not pretty any longer and should be updated. In fact, I hope ALL old content eventually gets a revamp. Imagine Elwynn with a remake but same style.

I love the WoW visual style. It is one of my favorite things about the game. Some things need and overhaul though. That's for sure. You can tell they made some major changes with MoP. There is a huge difference with everything once you get to Jade Forest.

I like the wow graphic style. You're like those people in a museum looking at paintings and going 'why don't they just photograph stuff, so much more detailed and realistic?'.

You can’t just bolt a new graphics engine onto an existing game, especially when the original game was developed around a proprietary engine. Engine switches are a lot of work even when the game is in early stages of development. They are literally impossible when the game has been out and continuously updated for 15 years.
    Beta Club Brosquad