Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Are professions worth it AT ALL anymore?

Let's be honest, nobody cares about professions anymore bar from acquiring a profession-specific item like a mount or a toy or gear to level up quicker before you loot higher ilvl epics. In Wotlk you pretty much HAD to have certain professions like JC/Engi or whatever to get accepted into raids, nowadays there is so much gold gems are bought and I don't think I've heard the word enchanting for at least 4 years. Is this gonna be the same case in BfA? Is there any changes at all?

Quote Originally Posted by nastje View Post
    Let's be honest, nobody cares about professions anymore bar from acquiring a profession-specific item like a mount or a toy or gear to level up quicker before you loot higher ilvl epics. In Wotlk you pretty much HAD to have certain professions like JC/Engi or whatever to get accepted into raids, nowadays there is so much gold gems are bought and I don't think I've heard the word enchanting for at least 4 years. Is this gonna be the same case in BfA? Is there any changes at all?
    If this is true, then why does the AH keep filling up with items for and from every single one of the professions...?

Seriously, if you think that nobody cares about professions, you're probably just not among those whom utilize them.
    And yes, professions are worth it. As usual, savvy folks will capitalize from the rush coming in BfA as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    If this is true, then why does the AH keep filling up with items for and from every single one of the professions...?

Seriously, if you think that nobody cares about professions, you're probably just not among those whom utilize them.
    And yes, professions are worth it. As usual, savvy folks will capitalize from the rush coming in BfA as well.
    There's a difference between usefulness for profit and usefulness for performance. Not having a flask or a 200 haste gem won't change your performance dramatically, especially not amongst the main crowd of players that don't do mythic. Sure there's loads of stuff on the AH, but there always was, however it's absolutely NOT necessary to have any of them at all to progress (bar mythic as mentioned), which wasn't the case back in the day.

There's a difference between usefulness for profit and usefulness for performance. Not having a flask or a 200 haste gem won't change your performance dramatically, especially not amongst the main crowd of players that don't do mythic. Sure there's loads of stuff on the AH, but there always was, however it's absolutely NOT necessary to have any of them at all to progress, which wasn't the case back in the day.
    You'd have to be in a pretty shitty raiding team to not be called out on showing up without the correct enchants and gems as well as consumables in case the guild doesn't provide those...

No, there's not a difference since there's got to be a demand in order to turn profit. Gems, consumables, food, enchants etc etc are all in demand.

Deleted
    You'd have to be in a pretty shitty raiding team to not be called out on showing up without the correct enchants and gems as well as consumables in case the guild doesn't provide those...

No, there's not a difference since there's got to be a demand in order to turn profit. Gems, consumables, food, enchants etc etc are all in demand.
    The point isn't being in a shit raiding team or a good one. What I'm trying to say is that enchanting (forgotten totally, let's be honest) for example made a big difference to your character and having that one extra gem did too. Nowadays it simply doesn't. If you're fully gemmed that's cool good on you, but it doesn't make an impact on your character at all unless you're in a semi-hardcore raiding guild. At one point everyone, casuals, pvp players etcetera, all wanted a noticeable edge and were more interested in professions because it gave them that. Nowadays it improves nearly nothing. Nobody announces their proffs on trade anymore because people don't care.

The point isn't being in a shit raiding team or a good one. What I'm trying to say is that enchanting (forgotten totally, let's be honest) for example made a big difference to your character and having that one extra gem did too. Nowadays it simply doesn't. If you're fully gemmed that's cool good on you, but it doesn't make an impact on your character at all unless you're in a semi-hardcore raiding guild. At one point everyone, casuals, pvp players etcetera, all wanted a noticeable edge and were more interested in professions because it gave them that. Nowadays it improves nearly nothing. Nobody announces their proffs on trade anymore because people don't care.
    Enchanting is not "entirely forgotten" by any stretch of the imagination. Between max level enchants + enchants for alts, there's demand and supply.
    That's exactly the point, since a shit raiding guild would be OK with the player not putting in the extra effort for every edge possible, which comes from correct enchants and gems. Showing up without them where applicable, means having less of an edge than players with a different attitude.

You're spewing BS, the very economy of the game proves you wrong.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2018-06-07 at 02:28 AM.

What I'm trying to say is that enchanting (forgotten totally, let's be honest)
    I've made tons of gold off of enchanting this expansion, as well as keeping my raid team supplied. Not forgotten or useless. Just because you're not interested in professions, doesn't mean they're automatically useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you never heard enchanting in 4 years than wow are you a massive pleb
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    if you never heard enchanting in 4 years than wow are you a massive pleb
    You're braindead if you think it's as vital as it used to be up until MoP.

It's as vital as it ever was, you're the one making the asinine statements from a point of ignorance here.
    You might be playing at a level where you need not care about enchants, gems and consumables. That doesn't exactly affect the fucking economy, fueled by all those players requiring proper character optimization for anything beyond Normal raiding... Not to mention the new customer base found in the M+ brackets.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2018-06-07 at 02:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks for just proving my point
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Are professions worth it AT ALL anymore?
    Yes.

Let's be honest, nobody cares about professions anymore
    Yeah.. if you poll people that exclusively raid thru LFR and never step foot in mythic+.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Courierrawr View Post
    Yes.

Yeah.. if you poll people that exclusively raid thru LFR and never step foot in mythic+.
    I already mentioned in the OP that I'm talking about everything else BUT mythic, I acknowledge it's use in mythic. 90% of the playerbase have never done a mythic raid and a majority of players who play to play don't care about M+ unless they want to raid at some point.

- - - Updated - - -

It's as vital as it ever was, you're the one making the asinine statements from a point of ignorance here.
    You might be playing at a level where you need not care about enchants, gems and consumables. That doesn't exactly affect the fucking economy, fueled by all those players requiring proper character optimization for anything beyond Normal raiding... Not to mention the new customer base found in the M+ brackets.
    That's okay, you can't read and you get angry because you can't understand. I already mentioned that I acknowledge min/maxing proportions of gems and enchants for mythic players. 90% of WoW players don't play mythic.

I already mentioned in the OP that I'm talking about everything else BUT mythic, I acknowledge it's use in mythic. 90% of the playerbase have never done a mythic raid and a majority of players who play to play don't care about M+ unless they want to raid at some point.

- - - Updated - - -

That's okay, you can't read and you get angry because you can't understand. I already mentioned that I acknowledge min/maxing proportions of gems and enchants for mythic players. 90% of WoW players don't play mythic.
    The market is driven by the playerbase as a whole. You're factually wrong when you make retarded statements about professions being irrelevant, nobody bothering with them etc etc.

I am an opponent of blatant stupidity, which is the only reason that I've allowed myself to fall for your bait. I refuse to believe that anyone can be so oblivious for real, but it's tough sticking with that principle when seeing your statements.

Are professions worth it? Yes, the in-game economy says so.
    Are people bothering with them? Yes, the in-game economy says so.

There, no amount of mental gymnastics or attempts to rationalize things away on your part changes these facts. /The End
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2018-06-07 at 03:27 AM.

I only did them in Legion to see their nifty questlines, which I'm told are getting totally pruned in BFA because of people complaining because for some baffling reason they ran 10 alchemists and didn't like redoing that content over and over. (whereas I took it as an opportunity to run all the professions, showing me a lot of content I had ignored up until now by always going gathering x2)

Perks like the 2 hour mount speed buff turning to 8 hours are laughable when the mount speed doesn't stack with my paladin buff, the class I got the profession on.

For gold, crafting professions are absolutely 100% not worth it, especially with the annoying 3 star ranking system, with it being far simpler and cheaper to just buy the items from someone else than to level the profession from scratch. I could've bought a million feasts for the amount of bacon Firelord Nomi took from me trying to get rank 3.

The conveniences can be nice though, mostly from engineering with you getting the portable mailbox (yeah there's the toy but that's a way longer cd) and bank (which does admittedly take a lot of work to unlock but I say worth it)

I don't know much about BFA's changes to professions though, just working off legion. Apparently scribes get the ability to make scrolls that make all WQs benefit a certain faction? Those'll be valuable I imagine. Or nerfed to last 30 seconds with a 7 day cooldown for "balance", more likely.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2018-06-07 at 03:36 AM.

I just mined ore and sold it. Barely bothered with Engineering which has been my main craft since the beginning.

Bloods and sargerite. The number of people crafting items with their own farmed materials is near zero compared to the ah goblins doing the work

nowadays there is so much gold gems are bought
    And gems are magically appearing in the Auction House ?

To whom do you think you're buying gems, enchants and stuff ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people always have the need say "nobody cares anymore" if they and a couple of friends don't like it anymore :/
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

The iLvl acquisition curve is too steep for professions to matter more than a blink of a second at the beginning of an expansion. That means that tailoring, leatherworking and blacksmithing are useless right off the bat.

We get gold very easy these days so gathering professions don't make much sense to have either.

Inscription has always been pointless so that leaves you with engineering, enchanting, jewelcrafting and alchemy. Since they noodered gem sockets there's not much point in having jewelcrafting and alchemy is really only good for the first tier of an expansion when flasks and pots can be expensive.

So in my mind the only two professions worth having are engineering for the utility it brings and enchanting for gold making and the convenience of being able to enchant your own gear.