Page 1 of 40
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Man faces deportation after routine delivery

Elected officials in New York City are trying to stop the deportation of a pizza delivery man who was arrested while bringing food to an Army base in Brooklyn.

Pablo Villavicencio, an Ecuadorean immigrant, was delivering pizza to U.S. Army Garrison Fort Hamilton last Friday when he was detained and handed over to immigration authorities.

In a statement, the Fort Hamilton Public Affairs Office says security officers discovered an active ICE warrant during a routine background check. And that the installation's commanders are authorized to take "reasonably necessary and lawful measures [to] protect installation personnel and property."

At a news conference outside the base on Wednesday, Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams called it "unimaginable" that Villavicencio went so quickly "from delivery to detention."

Villavicencio's wife, Sandra Chica, appeared at the news conference with the couple's two young children, who were both born in the U.S.

"This is cruel that they're going to separate my daughters from him," Chica said. "He was supporting the family. Now I'm going to be by myself, along with two kids."

Chica says she is a U.S. citizen and that Villavicencio had applied for his green card in February.

City Councilman Justin Brannan, whose district includes Fort Hamilton, said that Villavicencio worked for a pizzeria in Queens and that he had delivered to the Army base in Brooklyn many times before, without incident.

"Why was this time any different from any other times Pablo came to deliver food to the Army base?" Brannan asked. "Why was Pablo singled out?"

According to Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Villavicencio was ordered to leave the country by an immigration judge in 2010, but he stayed in the U.S. ICE spokeswoman Rachael Yong Yow confirmed that Villavicencio was detained by military police officers and turned over to ICE and that he remains in the agency's custody pending deportation.

Brannan questioned why authorities would arrest a man who was simply trying to deliver pizza.

"This is absolutely ridiculous. We're tearing families apart," Brannan said. "Are we any safer today because they took a pizza delivery guy off the street?"

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/06/61766...se-in-brooklyn

Pizza delivery regularly delivers food to base. In this case a security guard begins to question Pablo about identification. The guard calls NYPD, NYPD clears Pablo, but the officer digs deeper and discovers he is undocumented but it kind of seems like people on base knew his status.

Unfortunate situation.

Update: Looks like he gets to stay for now
    Last edited by PACOX; 2018-06-10 at 10:30 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    And the gestapo claims another victim. Unfortunate indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

He broke the law, he got deported. What he did wasn't a huge crime but it was still a crime.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Maybe he shouldn't have been in the country without proper permits?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    He broke the law, he got deported. What he did wasn't a huge crime but it was still a crime.
    Point but people break laws all the time. Generally if youre working and keeping out of trouble the system will leave you alone. He was breaking the law but turning him in seems spiteful and a waste of resources.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems cruel, considering its seperating a father and daughter, but then you could make any crime someone does 'tragic' if you insert a little girl into the picture.
    #boycottchina

"WHY DID THIS HAPPEN TO HIM?" cried his sobbing wife and children.

illavicencio was ordered to leave the country by an immigration judge in 2010, but he stayed

Calling him an immigrant is about as honest as calling burglar a housing market researcher. What part of the immigration process was he in?

He was in the country without the proper paperwork? Why is this even newsworthy that he was deported for that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Top luls right there.
    This dude was just trying to make an honest living delivering pizzas to provide for his family.
    Meanwhile our President is busy pardoning real criminals because some dumb bimbo who got famous off a mediocre sex tape asked him nicely.
    Last edited by Pipboi; 2018-06-08 at 07:19 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    Maybe he shouldn't have been in the country without proper permits?
    Papers please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    He was in the country without the proper paperwork? Why is this even newsworthy that he was deported for that?
    It's demonstrative of how backwards ass the US' immigration policies are that there is clear demand for immigrants in the service industry but we're having the gestapo deport contributing members of society to satisfy a bunch of racists in the South and Midwest.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It's demonstrative of how backwards ass the US' immigration policies are that there is clear demand for immigrants in the service industry but we're having the gestapo deport contributing members of society to satisfy a bunch of racists in the South and Midwest.
    If they don't have the papers then that's on them for not making sure they have it in order to be in the country, that's not the authorities fault but their own fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Better deported than jailed really.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    If they don't have the papers then that's on them for not making sure they have it in order to be in the country, that's not the authorities fault but their own fault.
    Ah, I forgot you live in a police state.

See here we have this thing called presumption of innocence and due process.

sure, it's everyone elses fault but the individual right?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

South Korea isn't a police state.

I'm pretty sure you need to have your paperwork in order, to be able to stay in USA. That has nothing to do with presumption of innocence or due process. If you don't have it, you can get deported.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    sure, it's everyone elses fault but the individual right?
    And you have the nerve to complain about governmental overreach.

Civil rights for me, but not for thee, huh?

Delivery person having ignored a consent decree to voluntarily deport following unlawful entry...

And you have the nerve to complain about governmental overreach.

Civil rights for me, but not for thee, huh?
    If you kick someone out of your house and they refuse to leave will you just say ok that's fine or would you call the police about it?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano