Poll: Do you think kids should get an allowance and did you get one?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What age should kids get an allowance, or should they?

Follow up:

Chores$$$

Washing dishes (Rinsing before loading Dish Washer)
    Cleaning their room
    Cleaning the house
    Mowing the Lawn
    Taking out garbage

Did you get an allowance for doing chores, and what age did you it start.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2018-06-15 at 06:46 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

As soon as they start doing stuff around the house.

That pay for doing dishes, taking out the trash, pet care, and making a bed is really damn high in your link.

Allowance is silly. Kids should be doing these things to earn their keep.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post

That pay for doing dishes, taking out the trash, pet care, and making a bed is really damn high in your link.
    I agree with this except for pet care, that isn't something anybody should be paid for, that is a responsibility for owning a pet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't really given an allowance. I did my chores when asked and occasionally my parents would buy me something I wanted (within reason).

Then when I was 15 I started working and have never stopped except for time between jobs. By that point I bought everything that I wanted myself except for housing/food etc.
    Last edited by Dug; 2018-06-15 at 06:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post

Follow up:

Chores$$$

Washing dishes (Rinsing before loading Dish Washer)
    Cleaning their room
    Cleaning the house
    Mowing the Lawn
    Taking out garbage

Did you get an allowance for doing chores, and what age did you it start.
    Kids should NEVER get an allowance. Thats just a handout and teaches that its OK to be on welfare. They should get PAID for doing certain chores that arent something they should already be doing like cleaning their room. Pay should be reserved for hard jobs like mowing grass, washing the car, shoveling snow etc.. And the amount your chart shows kids getting is asinine!! I never got more than 50 cents for doing ANY chore

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    I wasn't really given an allowance. I did my chores when asked and occasionally my parents would buy me something I wanted (within reason).

Then when I was 15 I started working and have never stopped except for time between jobs. By that point I bought everything that I wanted myself except for housing/food etc.
    Yeah I did chores and didn't get shit because we were fucking poor haha, but yours doesn't sound too bad.

15+ Year Old Account
    I never got an allowance. Chores were just a responsibility.

You should start giving them one at the age you want them to start learning money management and that nothing in life is free . . . aka as soon as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post

Depends, if it's weekly that's about right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

I saw a study where Mayan children willingly help out around the house. It seems Mayan parents wait until the child is at that age when kids want to help you do everything and they somehow manage to instill that into the child so that it lasts forever, no allowance required.

It would be interesting to try.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

As early as possible and there should also be real effort put into teaching them personal finance. In fact, it should be mandatory in all schools k-12 (and foreign equivalents) to have age appropriate personal finance education dealing with everything from banking, credit, insurance, investing, saving, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Kids should NEVER get an allowance. Thats just a handout and teaches that its OK to be on welfare. They should get PAID for doing certain chores that arent something they should already be doing like cleaning their room. Pay should be reserved for hard jobs like mowing grass, washing the car, shoveling snow etc.. And the amount your chart shows kids getting is asinine!! I never got more than 50 cents for doing ANY chore
    Nonesense, nothing wrong with welfare if you need it, and that really has shit to do with chores or responsibilities, I sort of agree to some degree, there should be expectations on some of that, but earning can be done many ways.

I neglected other chores on the list and just made $8.26 a week for just making my bed once every day. Considering that only takes a minute, I'm making fucking $70 bucks an hour.

Through proper investments I was able to buy a mansion and start a family where I am able to not pay my kids for doing shit that a decent parent would raise them to do out of instinct if they aren't a literal piece of shit.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

No, you don't get paid to do normal daily tasks. I never got one, and I will not give one to my kids. When they get to be old enough to work, they can get a job working somewhere else before they come to work for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    As early as possible and there should also be real effort put into teaching them personal finance. In fact, it should be mandatory in all schools k-12 (and foreign equivalents) to have age appropriate personal finance education dealing with everything from banking, credit, insurance, investing, saving, etc.
    Interesting I agree with this perspective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kids should most certainly get an allowance, as it is an excellent tool to teach them the value of financial management on a regular income.

I'd hazard that it's also good for their self-esteem simply because it gives them a degree of agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

What age? Whatever age that child has fully grasped the idea that you have to work for the things you want in life. Should they? That's completely up to the parents of the child. I already know there are some parents out there who will always spoil their child to no end and there are some who will do their best to teach their child how things are in the real world and help develop a sense of responsibility, value and respect in the child. I personally fall into that second half.
    120 | 110 | 110 | 110 | 101 | 101 | 101 | 100
    91 | 91 | 80 | 70 | 70 | 60 | 60

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    No, you don't get paid to do normal daily tasks. I never got one, and I will not give one to my kids. When they get to be old enough to work, they can get a job working somewhere else before they come to work for me.
    Hard knocks huh nice car in your Avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Interesting I agree with this perspective.
    Literally nothing taught in school outside of reading and writing, is more important.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post

Depends, if it's weekly that's about right.
    Okay thats fair, I read it as a single instance of doing said thing to get the pay at first, but didnt consider a weekly thing.