Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Honesty time vanilla vets: Will you warn beginners?

Example: You are playing with some people that started WoW after the shattering patch. You are having a good time farming scourgestones for argent dawn rep when one of them goes "hey guys? whats this puddle of blood on the floor?"

Now you know whats going to happen. It happened to all of us back in the day. Question is do you spoil it for them, or warn them to keep things smooth sailing but also stop them getting that same memorable experience we did all those years ago?

Because theres a fair few of those when you think about it. That nice human village outside SFK after the sun goes down, stitches in duskwood, opening the mailboxes in stratholme and so on. Things that can be progress impeders but remain some of the more memorable experiences when not doing things like standing in Westfall screaming if anyones seen the defias messenger in chat.

Would you ruin the surprises for the sake of saving them a bad time? or is that ruining part of the authenticity of the vanilla experience?

Surely the 'bad things' are part of the experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    No way would I warn anyone about that. I got plastered during leveling b/c I was too curious, I want them to experience the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell no, it is part of the course.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Example: You are playing with some people that started WoW after the shattering patch. You are having a good time farming scourgestones for argent dawn rep when one of them goes "hey guys? whats this puddle of blood on the floor?"

Now you know whats going to happen. It happened to all of us back in the day. Question is do you spoil it for them, or warn them to keep things smooth sailing but also stop them getting that same memorable experience we did all those years ago?

Because theres a fair few of those when you think about it. That nice human village outside SFK after the sun goes down, stitches in duskwood, opening the mailboxes in stratholme and so on. Things that can be progress impeders but remain some of the more memorable experiences when not doing things like standing in Westfall screaming if anyones seen the defias messenger in chat.

Would you ruin the surprises for the sake of saving them a bad time? or is that ruining part of the authenticity of the vanilla experience?
    Don't forget the " non splintered dungeon " version of BRD that would take several hours to complete, ( or Scholomance with the Barov guys with his AOE aura and the FUN end room were you could do a benny hill and aggro the whole place running around )

no way, that's something everyone needs to experience.

and really how would you warn people? it's not like people are going to be sitting in the zone spamming these warnings in chat. if warnings go out it is going to be some noob asking wtf just happened in chat.

No. This is what people wanted. Let them experience the whole thing, warts and all.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

10+ Year Old Account
    If they want to know there are plenty of places to look it up (and more coming I'm sure). They don't need me to spoil their experience and I'm not inclined to tell anyone as exploration is about the most fun thing there is.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    No. This is what people wanted. Let them experience the whole thing, warts and all.
    The people who wanted it already know about it.
    When in doubt, simply ask yourself: "What would Garrosh do?"

#wwgd

Trial by fire.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I already do warn beginners. I tell them to avoid Vanilla.

Discovery is part of the fun
    Besides,spoilers are always a dick move,if they want to know it's easy to find out about it,and they would already know

So where is Mankrik's wife?
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

bah, blood of heroes is nothing. Casually advice them to stick to the roads in EPL and then record them as they run into the crimson courier and her retarded charging guards

Absolutely no warning. But that has to come hand in hand with something else- we cannot give noobs a hard time for not knowing the same shit that we once had no clue about. Let people who didn't know Classic experience it the way we did- blind, and don't give them a hard time for making the same mistakes we all did.

Honestly it's every vanilla vet's sacred duty to tell people about the window behind Golemagg that you can see Ragnaros through.
    There's a very fine line between not listening, and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life. ~ Private Leonard Church

10+ Year Old Account
    i actually had to farm these as part of my epic chestpiece questline back in Vanilla (Warrior - Breastplate of Chromatic Flight iirc) so no, im not warning anyone, it totally sucked trying to find them, collect them and all that so i kinda feel i earned the right to sit back and laugh when i see it happen to someone else.

5+ Year Old Account
    I for one won't be warning anyone unless asked for. Spoiling others' fun is bad

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    As per your example: Morally, I should ... But it's going to be so funny when I don't.

In general, It depends on the scenario. I will likely warn them about patrol in Deadmines and how to pull Smite the pro way if I'm leading the group because there's some legit strategy discussion to be had.

But if it's something like fighting Kroshius alone, I might wait a while before giving them the strat and letting them in on the "T-bagging of the demon" ritual.

If they ask about specific talent builds. I'll definitely tell them all there is to know.

Not sure I'd give away too many lore secrets though as it would be better for them to have a mystery to chase after.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sastank View Post
    So where is Mankrik's wife?
    Probably hiding in the same place as all the Zhevra hooves...
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.