10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Welp, it’s happened. James Gunn has been let go from the GoTG franchise, because of those tweets...
    We teach our kids that what they put on the internet now can and will be used against them in the future.

2009-2012 is not shockingly long ago. The internet was not new and the idea that what you posted would be available forever was not new either.

James Gunn made stupid decisions when he was younger. Worse, he made those stupid decisions in a public place with a long history and plenty of past and future witnesses. Now those decisions have come back to bite him in the ass.

That's life, and this isn't new because of the internet.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    im so hyped for this show

Glad you are, but that looks awful to me. Terrible voice acting and strange art direction that feels a little like JEM and the Holograms in places. I think I'll pass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    We teach our kids that what they put on the internet now can and will be used against them in the future.
    Yup, and hopefully this will be a lesson to everyone... But we all know it wont do shit.

He's tried to explain it away as him playing the provocateur in his younger years, but I doubt that'll get him much support.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Well dam that's shit, i really don't know what to say :\

There goes the cosmic side of things :\

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Well dam that's shit, i really don't know what to say :\ There goes the cosmic side of things :\
    What "cosmic side?" JG didn't do cosmic...he tossed that away for the sake of making it all human-level enough that someone with a .38 could fight against.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, and hopefully this will be a lesson to everyone... But we all know it wont do shit.

He's tried to explain it away as him playing the provocateur in his younger years, but I doubt that'll get him much support.
    No. It basically reads as "Yeah, I was a dick when I was younger, I'm less of a dick now."
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    What "cosmic side?" JG didn't do cosmic...he tossed that away for the sake of making it all human-level enough that someone with a .38 could fight against.
    I cba to argue with you. All you do is negative and go muh marvel, muh childhood, Disney ruined it.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    I cba to argue with you. All you do is negative and go muh marvel, muh childhood, Disney ruined it.
    And pics that I have posted many a time earlier only proves my point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The first GoTG had Knowhere, Thanos and Celestials, the secodn one had a full blown Celestial battle, and a tease of Adam Warlock... How much more Cosmic can you get XD?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    No. It basically reads as "Yeah, I was a dick when I was younger, I'm less of a dick now."
    Yeah, honestly, I'm not sure if he was trying to explain himself, or just saying "Eh, we've all been dicks before..." Either way, don't think it'll work well for him. It's a shame, he's a great writer/director and we NEED more people like that making movies. But in this current climate, there's no way a guy can get away with jokes like he made. Especially not when working for Disney.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    While those tweets are not defensible, the current trend of any social crime equating to a life sentence is fucking alarming. Especially as it is becoming weaponized by conservatives to balance scales and make way for the Trumptatorship as opposed to the real reason these reckonings started happening which was to take down people who built their prestigious and lifelong careers out of raping and pillaging people...literally.

The sad part is Disney really doesn't have a choice here, but it's just...uggh.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    While those tweets are not defensible, the current trend of any social crime equating to a life sentence is fucking alarming. Especially as it is becoming weaponized by conservatives to balance scales and make way for the Trumptatorship as opposed to the real reason these reckonings started happening which was to take down people who built their prestigious and lifelong careers out of raping and pillaging people...literally.

I don't get it. Why didn't they have a choice? The tweets were 10 years old. And he was obviously perfectly fine issuing a full apology that seemed sincere. Why wouldn't that be enough?

Because some right-wing site wanted to "get even" for Rosanne Barr or what? They hired Rosanne Barr despite knowing the very public history of her past statements, they kept her on despite new statements, and only fired her when she took it one step too far. If they could do that, why couldn't they keep Gunn on? Obviously he changed his behavior a long time ago and hadn't done such statements in a long time. I seriously don't get why they would make a decision like this.

I really HOPE this was just an excuse and that they had been considering parting ways with him anyway, because then it wouldn't be potentially fucking up Marvel's plans much. But it seemed like he was destined to have a big role at Marvel going forward so I can't quite convince myself that was the case. Hope Feige figures it out. He usually does so, I guess he will.

edit:

Heh, just read some of his tweets. Seems like he was pretty consistently making jokes about pedophilia. That's a really weird thing to be obsessed with doing. Messed up. Now I'm wondering how he got hired in the first place. LOL. He did a great job tho, doesn't make any sense to fire him now.
    Last edited by Zarc; 2018-07-20 at 10:44 PM.

That’s why you should post anonymously or under a pseudonym.

Whelp, time to put Taika Waititi in charge of the cosmic stuff. Woo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Whelp, time to put Taika Waititi in charge of the cosmic stuff. Woo!
    That wouldn't be a bad idea, Thor Ragnarok felt very GotG anyway :P

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Glad you are, but that looks awful to me. Terrible voice acting and strange art direction that feels a little like JEM and the Holograms in places. I think I'll pass.

I think it's meant for young girls, at least thats the vibe I got from it. And it doesn't look that bad. Except not a fan of fat Squirrel Girl... I mean WTF.
    Last edited by Orby; 2018-07-20 at 11:40 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post

i like how they fire people for crude jokes but let actual rapists and abusers keep their jobs lol.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Well...decide yourselves:

James Gunn Fired From ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Franchise Over Offensive Tweets

Among the tweets that forced Disney and Marvel’s hand were: “I like when little boys touch me in my silly place.”

Another: “The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped!’” There were others that made satirical comments about the 9/11 attack, AIDS and the Holocaust. Yet another described a monkey masturbating on a young child, and his commentary that it made him “extremely happy.” These missives were not funny and entirely disturbing, given a preoccupation with fetishing underage boys. That left him a sitting duck for his retroactive social media commentary.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    i like how they fire people for crude jokes but let actual rapists and abusers keep their jobs lol.
    i don't follow the people who make the comics/movies, who did what?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    i don't follow the people who make the comics/movies, who did what?
    talking about people like john lasseter and johnny depp
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    talking about people like john lasseter and johnny depp
    can't say know what they've done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, honestly, I'm not sure if he was trying to explain himself, or just saying "Eh, we've all been dicks before..." Either way, don't think it'll work well for him. It's a shame, he's a great writer/director and we NEED more people like that making movies. But in this current climate, there's no way a guy can get away with jokes like he made. Especially not when working for Disney.
    It sometimes amazes me that it is so difficult for people to say "Yeah, I did some dumb shit when I was younger, and I am very sorry for that." Instead of trying to explain why they were doing dumb shit.

Just, be kind.