Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    AoE is good. IP on gcd is driving me nuts tho.
    Also, magic damage heavy dungeons are fucking pain.

Also, the OP'ness is heavily dependent on Deafening Crash trait. Which is disappointing given how rare that trait is.

Icy Veins says you need 25+ ilvl increase on that slot in order to offset losing the trait but I feel like its even higher than that because the trait is so crazy good.

With lust i can chain demo shout. Demo shout on pull, it lasts 30 seconds, demo should will then be off CD again and I have it for another 15 seconds...lol if thats not crazy, call me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Read the tool tip. Its a defensive ability. It provides rage and makes you immune to certain CC. Those are defensive effects.

Yes, it buffs your damage as well. However, whenever you have an ability that provides both offense and defense, defensive needs will almost always trump offense. Make no mistake every time you choose Avatar for damage, you're gambling you won't need it for defense.
    Surely you're joking right?
    It removes some snares and slows which in a dungeon is generally either dispellable or not going to cause enough issue to warrant holding avatar.
    The rage gen is negligible decisively unless your seriously mismanaging your rage.

It's primary goal is damage, it directly replacemed our old damage steroid. If your having threat issues try using your abilities instead of holding them......

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've not had any issues honestly as Prot. Tanked every mythic so far, minus a couple bosses in them because dps was an issue with some of them. But survivabilty wise I was doing fine.

I've had Deafening Crash on just about every azerite piece so far though. Iron Fortress and Brace for Impact seem more rare to me.

My only issue is the magic heavy dungeons. IP is just blah and on the GCD.

Character below just in case: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...hyjal/Brycewar

Quote Originally Posted by Morg View Post
    Surely you're joking right?
    It removes some snares and slows which in a dungeon is generally either dispellable or not going to cause enough issue to warrant holding avatar.
    The rage gen is negligible decisively unless your seriously mismanaging your rage.

It's primary goal is damage, it directly replacemed our old damage steroid. If your having threat issues try using your abilities instead of holding them......
    I would not go as far to say it's a defensive ability but the rage gen is abolutely not negligible.

That being said I don't find the prot war very viable for anything I've tanked so far. People are trash talking IP but what bothers me more is the insane CD for SB. I don't like that at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Get more haste. SB recharge time is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Scornedfury View Post
    I would not go as far to say it's a defensive ability but the rage gen is abolutely not negligible.

That being said I don't find the prot war very viable for anything I've tanked so far. People are trash talking IP but what bothers me more is the insane CD for SB. I don't like that at all.
    My phone mistyped a word, it was meant to say negligible defensively and I stand by that.
    Unless you've accidentally spammed revenge too hard you really shouldn't have any need for an emergency rage boost from avatar that can't be provided by forward planning or DS

I'm not having threat issues. Avatar shouldn't be needed to maintain aggro otherwise you'd be having trouble at least 1/2 the time. In general, Prot's problems stem from being obnoxious to play. DPS and Shield Block are in a good spot right now. They may or may not be masking any tuning problems. Guess we'll find out in a couple weeks.

Deleted
    In general, Prot's problems stem from being obnoxious to play.
    Short but right on the point.

Guess we'll find out in a couple weeks.
    Are we expecting some Prot review from the devs? They better do their the job right and not excuse themselves with some clumsy band-aids.

Quote Originally Posted by Sikkd View Post
    Are we expecting some Prot review from the devs? They better do their the job right and not excuse themselves with some clumsy band-aids.
    I'm expecting some classes getting tune-ups either before the Raid and Mythic+ or shortly thereafter. Don't be too shocked if we get our DPS nerfed and receive no QoL adjustments. Speaking of which how is Prot in PvP currently? If we're too good in PvP you should expect some nerfs.

Deleted
    I'm not having threat issues. Avatar shouldn't be needed to maintain aggro otherwise you'd be having trouble at least 1/2 the time. In general, Prot's problems stem from being obnoxious to play. DPS and Shield Block are in a good spot right now. They may or may not be masking any tuning problems. Guess we'll find out in a couple weeks.
    You don't need it all the time, just for the big packs, where you know every dd will start with the burst aoe. Keeping aggro isn't hard, its just a little buildup. Not as bad as vanilla where you waitet for 3 thunderarmors, but you might need a sec to control it well. You really don't have aggro problems yet. This might change when DD damage outscale us more later on.

Not having an issue with threat.

Started heroics yesterday. A few mitigation 'issues'. Low ilevel (306) coupled along with healers low ilvl atm.
    No doubt GCD changes suck, but other than that, we're in an OK spot imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm struggling with threat actually. Thunderclap and cycling through targets doesn't seem enough especially for particularly bursty types

15+ Year Old Account
    2nd week of 10/10 mythic dongers cleared. Solid prot is solid, not even needing to cc any trash, and bosses are a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    I'm struggling with threat actually. Thunderclap and cycling through targets doesn't seem enough especially for particularly bursty types
    What talents are you running?
    Do you have 1x DC trait?

Deleted
    Guys, lets face it - Prot warriors DO need a buff. We are in a horrible state if you compare to other tanks in dungeons and raids. I've been playing my Brewmaster Monk, Blood Deathknight and Prot Warrior (all lvl 120 with atleast ilvl 330). I do clear mythics easily but honestly, when it comes to my prot warrior, it really really feels clunky due to GCD on Ignore Pain. On top of that, the survivability is good, WHEN the mitigation is up. The big problem is that we have downtime (when last stand and shieldblock is on cd) and during that downtime all u can do is try to spam Ignore Pain or Demo Shout, alterantively pop a cd like Shield Wall or Commanding Shout. But when u poped those cds, then what? you'll be left without the cds up during bossfights if you do this on trashpacks, plus you will actively need to rely on Ignore Pain which isn't even good at the moment. It's absorbing some damage, yes, but not the amount we need to keep ourselves at high health when needed.

Prot surely feels better than Legion, imo, but it also feels clunkier with Ignore Pain on GCD. What we do miss however, is some form of self sustain such as Leech, and Ignore Pain off GCD. Maybe even a tiny bit of shortened cd on shieldblock and we might be viable for mythic+ etc. Right now however, there is no reason to keep playing Prot warr in mythic+ when u have Death Knights which is absolutely insane still with self heals in dungeons. Not to talk about Bonestorm itself which pulls out 10-14k healing depending on how many trashmobs there are.

During longer fights I have no clue how Prot warriors will stay alive due to the massive downtime of active mitigation. I see it working for shorter fights, MAYBE (note MAYBE), but longer fights will be so painful.

Oh and btw, why the hell do we have devastate? most of the time I dont even have time to use the ability. It's a useless ability atm, make devastator baseline. It's way too weak to be a talent at all. Bolster is just so good, and Devastator is just so bad. This should honestly be baked into our baseline to even be worth using the ability.

So to sum it up:

1. Give prot warriors leech
    2. Remove IP off GCD
    3. Make Devastator talent baseline
    4. Tune the CD of Shield block with 1-2seconds

These are the changes we need to be in an OK spot.

I still love prot warriors, but it's way too clunky and weird to feel confident playing atm. We deserve a buff, and that's badly, as we are bottom tier of tanks at the moment. All other tanks does most things better than us except for physical mitigation during shieldblock and last stand uptime. I want to main prot warrior so bad, but I feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot if I do so, as there are so many better alternatives. Prot warrior just isn't enough at the moment.
    Last edited by mmoc156c481205; 2018-08-22 at 12:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What talents are you running?
    Do you have 1x DC trait?
    I don't have a DC trait yet but I'm running all the appropriate talents recommended by icyveins

Protection doesn't need buffs; it needs a rework. If they're going to take this approach where everything needs to be on the GCD, then Ignore Pain can't heal for nothing and yet also be the only real rage dump (Shield Block and Revenge are not rage dumps, nor are they even particularly satisfying to use).

Unstoppable Force isn't *that* fun, not fun enough to justify the rest of the class sucking so hard. Spamming Demo Shout may be effective, but it sure isn't fun.

Warriors have reasonably high armor, and Shield Block is passable as a mitigation tool (unless you're getting attacked by one of the physical abilities in the game that inexplicably isn't blockable). I'm not surprise that people are managing to hobble through Mythics as a Protection warrior, but in any conversation like this you end up with people chiming in who think that managing to not utterly fail in relatively easy content means that everything is fine.

I found the Protection gameplay to be so appalling uninteresting and slow that I switched to maining my paladin. As I posted in another thread, here are some of the major advantages:

* Lay on Hands
    * Bubble
    * Hand of Freedom
    * Hand of Protection
    * Poison dispels
    * Decent spot healing
    * Resurrection
    * High damage ranged AoE pull
    * Long range interrupt
    * High uptime Active Mitigation that also does AoE damage

All of these actually represent major benefits in dungeon settings. Warriors bring to the table... Mobility and Battle Shout??

The simple fact of the matter is that, to play a Protection warrior right now, you have to be either completely ignorant *or* deeply invested. I don't blame people for being invested, but in my case, there was a limit to how far I would go for that.

Deleted
    I'd say damage and threatwise prots are fine. Mitigation is good when it's up, but what needs to change is pain supression. Take it off gcd or reduce the rage cost to 40.

10+ Year Old Account
    Read the tool tip. Its a defensive ability. It provides rage and makes you immune to certain CC. Those are defensive effects.

Yes, it buffs your damage as well. However, whenever you have an ability that provides both offense and defense, defensive needs will almost always trump offense. Make no mistake every time you choose Avatar for damage, you're gambling you won't need it for defense.
    It's not a gamble if you know whether or not you will actually need it. A lot of times the extra damage you can do at the start of a fight with bloodlust/demo shout+talent/avatar makes up for breaking one round of cc for a mechanic that will probably happen twice unless your group overhears, in which case damage > defense.