10+ Year Old Account

PC refuses to stay asleep -.-

Newly built PC, only 1 issue I've noticed so far and it's that this PC will never stay asleep. It will turn on briefly after sleep mode, rev the fan up, then go back to sleep lol. It happens constantly and I have no idea why. I have no programs running nor any settings that I know of that would cause this. Help please I don't want needless strain from constant resets, for now I am just going to power down and not use sleep until I can find the issue. I'm sure it's some dumb default setting in Win10 but I never had this issue on my previous Win10 PC.

Sleep mode is dumb, just turnoff your pc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go to Control Panel>Power Options>either "Choose when to turn off display" or "Change when computer sleeps" they both go to the same place>Change advanced power settings>Sleep>Allow wake timers

Then disable it if it isn't already
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit confused. You said it doesn't stay asleep, but then said that it doesn't come out of sleep? Which is it?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    Do you have an AMD card? If so, check to see if AUEPMaster.exe is causing issues. Open a command prompt and type "powercfg /requests" (no quotes). If it mentions AUEPMaster.exe, the only fix I've found is killing the process. AUEPMaster.exe is AMD's User Experience Program, so it may be possible to opt out somewhere in the software.

If you have an Nvidia card, then ignore everything I've said (but maybe still check "powercfg /requests", as well as "powercfg /waketimers" and "powercfg /lastwake").

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Newly built PC, only 1 issue I've noticed so far and it's that this PC will never stay asleep. It will turn on briefly after sleep mode, rev the fan up, then go back to sleep lol. It happens constantly and I have no idea why. I have no programs running nor any settings that I know of that would cause this. Help please I don't want needless strain from constant resets, for now I am just going to power down and not use sleep until I can find the issue. I'm sure it's some dumb default setting in Win10 but I never had this issue on my previous Win10 PC.
    I don't remember, how this tech is called, but OS can awake your computer to perform some tasks, like updating. As I know, you can disable it in BIOS.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Change settings so in sleep mode your applications that require internet won't force it to wake up. It basicly blocks ethernet in sleep.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morssoe View Post
    Change settings so in sleep mode your applications that require internet won't force it to wake up. It basicly blocks ethernet in sleep.
    Yeah, there's a BIOS setting for Wake on Lan activity, turn it off. Also some stuff in properties for your network adapter -> power management tab, use Device Manager. Change if you know what you're doing or you might fuck things up even more.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    I don't remember, how this tech is called, but OS can awake your computer to perform some tasks, like updating. As I know, you can disable it in BIOS.
    Could be indeed it's windows doing some maintenance, or updates, had that same shit going on after a recent reformat, you can change the times it does this in options so e.g. it never does this at night

15+ Year Old Account
    cmd (admin mode):

powercfg /lastwake

This will tell you what woke the computer. In most computers it's the network interface waking up on magic packet or similar forms of identifier. Easiest way is to deactivate it in BIOS and also configuring your network adapter to not wake up on anything.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Windows 10 doesn't shut down all the way anyways. When you click the shut down button, it goes into hibernation whether you like it or not. This is as of 1803. You can do a real shutdown using a command in command line.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

It's probably something wrong with the keyboard/mouse/USB port. My computer doesn't stay asleep either. It randomly revs up and starts again too. I just turn off my computer when not using it.

I blame Skynet. Watch out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    Windows 10 doesn't shut down all the way anyways. When you click the shut down button, it goes into hibernation whether you like it or not. This is as of 1803. You can do a real shutdown using a command in command line.
    Really? My computer shuts right down forgetting everything in RAM. I've also deleted hiberfil.sys in the root of C: saving 5 gig of disk space.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have any evidence of this? I've not seen nor heard any indication of that.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Do you have any evidence of this? I've not seen nor heard any indication of that.
    They were very quiet about it. The only reason I noticed it was because all of my software would be running still when I booted up my computer. Including things like SQL Developer that aren't really tied in Windows registry.

https://lifehacker.com/shutting-down...ind-1825532376
    https://www.howtogeek.com/349114/shu...rting-it-does/
    Last edited by lloose; 2018-09-04 at 11:40 PM. Reason: added a word for clarity.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    Sleep mode is dumb, just turnoff your pc.
    How is it dumb? If you accidently leave it idle for too long it goes to sleep and saves you electricity and then you come back and move the mouse and it's instantly back where it was as if you didn't even turn it off. I usually have sleep mode set to 30 mins meaning I can leave my PC on while watching whatever as I fall asleep at night and it turns itself off after 30mins of inactivity... As apposed to having to get up and turn it off, or waste hours worth of electricity.

That said, sleep mode doesn't work on Win 10 for me at the moment and has been intermittently working for some time. The computer just doesn't go to sleep, regardless of the setting.

I press the power button on my case to turn off the PC, it fully shuts down and nothing is kept in memory.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2018-09-05 at 12:16 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4