10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    No I am not, I am still inactive. I am too busy having a "life" ugh.
    As you can tell by my even older 4770k/gtx680 combo.
    Rip wallet.

I don't even have time to play wow anymore.
    I have 19 characters 110 or higher, but only 1 at higher than 111.
    Same. My guild is already raiding the new content and I'm only geared up for heroic dungeons atm. I'm thinking about swapping out my 4k monitor for a 1440p 144hz IPS monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Hearing from HR at the credit union about my IT Internship today!
    How did this go!? I transitioned from a t1 helpdesk jockey into a network/security engineer position a while ago.
    Last edited by inux94; 2018-09-07 at 11:25 AM.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

15+ Year Old Account
    Signed papers for the lawyer today. Going to sell the car my mom had and I am going to use the money that I get from that(my sister and I are splitting it)and buy a car, then I can get a new job. So stuff is finally happening.

Perhaps if I get any extra money I can buy a new video card.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    I spent some time cleaning up my online presence - trying to keep a smaller footprint. It turns out you can't delete locked posts on this forum. I might make a new account and let this one die.
    Yeah, only mods of that forum, global or admin can delete those. You can ask chaud or a global if you wish to have something deleted in a locked thread.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    How did this go!? I transitioned from a t1 helpdesk jockey into a network/security engineer position a while ago.
    Still doing it, thanks for asking! Applied for a few different positions that are full-time, because right now, the best thing for me is to have a permanent, full-time, career-potential job.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Glad to hear it.
    Thanks! Though I am dealing with another traffic ticket. This is getting expensive. =/
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Uncle Jacob's: Amazing.
    Rumpkin: AMAZINGGGGGG.
    Firestone XXI: I WANT IT DAMN IT I COULDN'T GET IT.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Uncle Jacob's: Amazing.
    Rumpkin: AMAZINGGGGGG.
    Firestone XXI: I WANT IT DAMN IT I COULDN'T GET IT.
    Had Rumpkin the other day and it is fantastic.

Yet to try the Firestone and Jacob's but there are a few Firestone left at the local Bevmo.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know the computer forum here is very up to date with actually majorly relevant things when Linus takes a break from Linux, his daughter signs the "post-meritocracy" manifesto, a code of conduct written by the LGBTQ+ mafia replaces the one previously in place in the kernel's development and nobody creates a thread about it.

While I don't believe Reddit is the best place to actually have a decent discussion on something, for exposition this should be good enough:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...as_signed_the/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...loper_who_got/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...bad_caveat_be/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...apology_and_a/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...conflict_with/

I don't think there's anyone in this thread who'd be oblivious on why Linux matters, and we've seen things get worse and head downhill with FreeBSD after the same turn of events.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is umm... not going to be good. I really hate these kinds of things. Dumb stuff like this in game development for example has been an ongoing issue.

And this forum doesn't really post anything related to Linux unless it's gaming related, which to be fair is what this forum is mostly focused on. Like you get the post on VGD about Steam incorporating WINE into their Steam OS(?) or whatever. However that's about the extent of Linux discussion on this forum.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem most people have with the Contributor Covenant is that it's vaguely written on purpose, so whoever is in charge of ensuring people "follow" can basically just use personal judgement to literally ban someone from a project. And we've had cases of it happening, which should be expected if you take into consideration the CoC's author.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always been slightly curious, what smart watch functions do you use? I look at these and always go... Fitness function may be nice but I'm a lazy fuck, and I don't really text that much and any notifications would be emails or other minor stuff. If it is a text or email I need to respond I'd be on the phone to type it out anyways. I used to text more but nowadays, oddly, I opted to do calls instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I've always been slightly curious, what smart watch functions do you use?
    I second that inquiry. I already feel like I'm too connected as it is with just a smartphone, not sure I'd want to have another connected device.

Though I will say, I was shocked to hear @evn say that he went on a trip w/o his phone. I couldn't imagine leaving my phone behind. It's either in my hand, in my pocket, or next to my bed. Nowhere else.

-----

Belatedly, speaking of the new Linux CoC, I suspect you all have heard of the kill switch threat? I was completely shocked that contributers could revoke their license after the fact like that. On the plus side, it gives contributers a say with what happens to their contributions... on the other hand, it seems like a fatal threat to the Linux kernel itself - depending upon who / how many people revoke their license at once. Seems like that could be outright crippling.

I was seriously thinking about giving Linux a go on my next computer, too... damn it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    https://www.privacyfly.com/articles/ncix_breach/

Stay safe, North American friends.
    Never purchased anything from NCIX, but Jesus... that's terrifying. I'm not sure how you'd protect against that. Even if the a government made regulations to prevent this kind of data leak (hemorrhage, really), how do you enforce it against a company that goes bankrupt?

Ugh. :\

Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    Never purchased anything from NCIX, but Jesus... that's terrifying. I'm not sure how you'd protect against that. Even if the a government made regulations to prevent this kind of data leak (hemorrhage, really), how do you enforce it against a company that goes bankrupt?

Ugh. :\
    It was the companies responsible for the liquidation of the assets that fucked up there, not NCIX.

Speaking of picking up new devices (I just skimmed the apple watch post, but I'll get back to it after the weekend), I just picked up a new phone today, the Xiaomi Poco F1.
    While the bloat is real, holy heck man, I've missed having a proper battery life.
    On my old phone, the Oneplus X, after 5 hours 30 minutes of screen on time, with 12 hours since last charge, the phone would have died 30-44 minutes ago, at lowest light setting.
    This one? 72% juice left, low-ish but not lowest brightness. I am light sensitive however, so I prefer to be on the lower end.

Will attempt to fix the bloat, because I am loving this. High performance on a phone, I could take it or leave it honestly. As long as it isn't sluggish, it doesn't need to be quick. But battery life makes me quite pleased. I would gladly take hours of slug over minutes of speed. Of course, this got both endurance and speed, so hey.

Would have preferred no notch and 4.6", but I can't really get that, can I?

10+ Year Old Account
    There is XZ1 Compact, but that's like the only <5" phone left.

- - - Updated - - -
    @DeltrusDisc Firestone XXI anniversary is a bit sweeter but have a similar flavor profile to the Avery's Uncle Jacob, although not surprising since they're both bourbon barrel stouts. I'd give the edge to Firestone's cause I prefer a bit sweeter beer. I'm debating whether I like Stickee Monkee or Rumpkin more, lol.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2018-09-29 at 04:43 AM.

I've basically given up on getting a properly sized phone, so I'm living with an S8 right now (I buy last year's top phone every three or so years so I get the "flagship" experience for at most half the price).

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I've been on a S7 Edge that I bought more or less when the S8 was released and sincerely speaking I have no reason to even think about "upgrading".

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm waiting on 5G, probably 2nd generation of it.