Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The idea that lab-grown or GMO stuff is somehow magically unhealthy or contributes to cancer is nonsense. It's alarmist propaganda. Know what else causes cancer? The Sun. Getting old. Smoking naturally-dried unfiltered tobacco isn't going to be particularly healthy for you either, no matter how natural it may be.

This is the big hurdle. If they can get the price down and quality up (and this seems to indicate quality is there) to where it's on-par with cheap grocery store meat, or slightly cheaper, then we're going to end up eliminating the drive for factory farms and the like; labs will produce this stuff more cheaply, and farms will focus on quality over quantity. That's a good thing for animal welfare in the long run.

They're working on getting it off the ground, and that's easiest on meat that doesn't require structure. It's not an insurmountable leap from there, though. A proper scaffolding type system to lay out the cells and then "grow" them as you use electrical impulses to "fake" exercise for building muscle, and we should be able to make a big-ass lump of muscle that we can carve up into chops/steaks/etc. Might not replace T-bones, but you could probably develop a decent tenderloin or something this way.

Tech definitely isn't there yet, but like I said, they're focusing on getting meat to work at all, they can refine that once they're producing palatable and healthy product.
    You can take my mechanically reconstituted meat away from my cold dead hands holding a mcnugget meal

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    but yeah, i'd definitely eat it if it's cheap and tastes like the real thing. just not pork, pork tastes like a nursing home smells and it's absolutely fucking disgusting to me in every way.
    Like you, I can't stand the taste of most pork without proper seasoning and marination, but I can't resist a good stir-fried ginger pork.

Also, "higher-end" pork like kurobuta or the iberian pig tend to have a better taste profile than the "normal" breeds, so if you ever consider giving pork a chance again, start from these two types.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Use less buzzwords please Endus. Alarmist and propaganda are shit words to use, don't be that guy.

A cow that grew up on a field and wasn't fed with chemicals has the historical benefit of us knowing that it's not unhealthy, per se.
    Something grown in a lab by some random company should earn my trust first. The fact it tastes the same doesn't matter to me.

Lab grown meat has the potential of being even better than original meat. So give me studies and implement a heavily regulated industry standard for growing it and I am fine with it.
    It ought to be healthier considering it won't contain cocktails of hormones and antibiotics, plus contamination from the environment animals were grown in.

I'm excited for this to become more consumer friendly. We can reduce factory farming and methane emissions.

I stopped eating most meats a long time ago now. Although, I still eat fish. While I don't think it's unethical to eat an animal if you need it to survive, the current industry and other factors made me decide to stop eating beef, pork, chicken, etc... I still know a good burger and some bacon tastes great, I just choose not to buy or eat any of it.

So if lab grown meat comes close to matching regular meat then fine. I'll gladly buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Curious, would eating lab grown pork still be considered taboo for Muslims and Jews?
    I think there was one rabbi who said cultured pork was kosher, so probably not.

Edit:
    (JTA) — A prominent Orthodox rabbi in Israel said that meat from a genetically cloned pig would be kosher for consumption by Jews, including when eaten with dairy products.

Rabbi Yuval Cherlow told Ynet in an interview published Wednesday that cloned meat is not subject to the rules that apply to the consumption of regular meat.

Cherlow is quoted as saying that “cloned meat produced from a pig shall not be defined as prohibited for consumption – including with milk.”
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2018-09-18 at 06:22 PM.

It ought to be healthier considering it won't contain cocktails of hormones and antibiotics, plus contamination from the environment animals were grown in.
    "Here boss, inject this for 25% faster growth"

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    I think there was one rabbi who said cultured pork was kosher, so probably not.
    If it is deemed Kosher/Halaal, imagine the big market opening to a whole new customer base.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fallasleep View Post
    I will never eat meat that was grown in a lab. I don't care how it tastes.
    You will and you won't even know it.

And you'll like it!

If it is deemed Kosher/Halaal, imagine the big market opening to a whole new customer base.
    Sausage kebabs ftw.

Even if it was the most environmental and ethical choice?
    The most "environmental and ethical" choice would have plenty of wildlife roaming...instead of too many fucking humans.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    You will and you won't even know it.

And you'll like it!
    I'll just kill my own animals.

Mostly, at least the ethical and environmental vegans would. You also have 'health vegans' (like Vegan Gains) who are also vegan because of supposed dietary reasons
    I think it depends on a vegan. there are vegans who won't eat honey, becasue they are convinced that it hurts the bees. they also won't wear sheep's wool, becasue they are convinced its abuse and exploitation of sheep.

then again there's this, so... https://impossiblefoods.com/food/

I would be interested to try a lab grown meat and definitely see more research done.

I'll just kill my own animals.
    I actually have no ethical qualms with hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Question, would vegans eat it?
    Depends on the vegan. There's a sizable number who believe eating ANY product sourced from animals is wrong, since they couldn't grant their permission for us to use the product. Since the cultured meat wasn't secured via permission from an animal, that faction wouldn't touch it.

To put it another way, it's the honey debate all over again. Some vegans say honey is fine, some say it isn't. If the vegan is one who is OK with honey, they'd likely be ethically OK with the lab meat. If they're one of the faction who think honey is not vegan then they likely wouldn't touch the lab meat with a 20 foot pole.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather eat insects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now they just gotta replicate the taste of fear and pain, for that authentic taste experience! Mmm!

I don't think it's unethical to eat animals and I don't see how it's bad for the environment either.
    Beef cattle farmed in bulk creates a massive amount of methane released into the air. Far more than cars on the highway. The high volume of cattle being farmed is due to the high demand for beef as a part of our staple diets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Nothing will ever beat the meat off the bone for me but more power to the people that wanna eat this stuff.
    There may be a time in humanities future, not yours specifically, where we may not have that luxury.