Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

WoW's economy is beyond redemption at this point

When even the devs are encouraging and happy that people are buying gold and pay2winning their way in the game, you know any hope of balancing it is out the window. From he front page:

"This means that more people are buying the Tokens with real money faster than those buying the token with gold. Thus causing the price to fall. It unfortunately means a little less gold for your token, but the market dictates that is how much it's worth at the moment. Lot's of gold is moving around as its still the start of an expansion. It's pretty normal.

In fact it means the opposite of what you're proposing, its good for WoW as a whole because it means people are buying plenty of tokens to sell for gold. Slightly negative for token sellers if anything.

I totally see the point you're making though, in that it implies less people are buying tokens with gold. Which isn't necessarily the truth but rather the value of those selling them for gold has drastically changed causing the price to fall.
    "

It's good for WoW as a whole...how in the unholy fuck is gold buying a good thing?
    Negative for gold sellers...you ARE gold sellers.

And of course the usual PR bullshit, they can "totally see what we're saying" and "isn't necessarily the truth" and "it's pretty normal". It's fine. Everything is fine.

It's "fine". The game is in a "good spot".

What gold sellers? You are trading your gold for battlenet balance or gametime. And the price being lower than the past few months means that more people are buying it. And seeing how a lot less gold is rewarded and items are quite expensive, people are willing to pay the 20 euros for the 170-200k to get some new shiny. It is not pay to win in any way...

Deleted
    I sat out almost the entirety of WoD and Legion. Last I played seriously a gold stash of 50-100k was rather impressive.

Coming back in BfA where people are literally swimming in gold from the mission tables of two expansions while I've got fuckall and there's no real way to make money outside of AH (which requires investment capital to begin with, besides I've always loathed the AH) really does suck.

I have no idea how they'll drain the billionaires without screwing over the penniless however.

10+ Year Old Account
    P2W it's when it is possible to purchase something that can make your in-game character stronger in combat (doesn't matter, vs. mobs or other players). Tokens, mounts and pets aren't of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigy View Post
    I sat out almost the entirety of WoD and Legion. Last I played seriously a gold stash of 50-100k was rather impressive.

Coming back in BfA where people are literally swimming in gold from the mission tables of two expansions while I've got fuckall and there's no real way to make money outside of AH (which requires investment capital to begin with, besides I've always loathed the AH) really does suck.

I have no idea how they'll drain the billionaires without screwing over the penniless however.
    You come back in BfA when one herb is worth around 750g ea & farming groups for BoEs were/still are a great source of gold so its not like you don't have an opportunity, just find it easier to complain about instead

Edit: You'll find the vast majority of players don't have a lot of gold so you are definitely not alone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xmancho1 View Post
    people are willing to pay the 20 euros for the 170-200k to get some new shiny. It is not pay to win in any way...
    Can also make that "people to some extend are urged to pay the 20 bucks to afford the enchants, gems, pots and flasks required for raiding." Why would i farm for x hours and lose interest in the game when i can have the same result by irl working y hours / minutes. The state of the economy is intended rl money milking, watered / lawyered / ioned down by the wishywashy statements OP is quoting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermelloth View Post
    P2W it's when it is possible to purchase something that can make your in-game character stronger in combat (doesn't matter, vs. mobs or other players). Tokens, mounts and pets aren't of the sort.
    For me it's anything you can pay money for to skip the grind of the game, whereas others work for it. So character boosts, buying gold through token selling and all that shit. Grind is a big part of what WoW is, by paying money to skip it you're "winning" the game faster.

Not that I give a shit, I don't measure the size of my dick and wealth by the amount of purple pixels I amass in video games, just saying, this is how I see it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xcitng View Post
    You come back in BfA when one herb is worth around 750g ea & farming groups for BoEs were/still are a great source of gold so its not like you don't have an opportunity, just find it easier to complain about instead

Edit: You'll find the vast majority of players don't have a lot of gold so you are definitely not alone
    Right, cause anchor weed is proper easily farmable, aye? Might get 10 an hour or so tops for 400-ish each, that compared to the people with 10-11 alts doing missions every day? There's a reason the gold sink mount in MoP was 100k and the one in BfA is 5 million.

Quote Originally Posted by xcitng View Post

Wow 750g for one herb? What magical realm are you on? Herbs are worth around 50g if that. And boe farming. Yeah, gotta get that sweet sweet rng profit. Oh look, you've been farming for 10 hours, 2 people in your group got 2-3 boes, and one guy got the mount twice while you got vendor trash.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the economy seems fair enough to me. But I'll agree that inflation has gotten really out of hand through the expansions, where a large amount of people now has millions of gold without any real sink besides overpriced mounts that fall flat once you realize most people don't even want them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    For me it's anything you can pay money for to skip the grind of the game, whereas others work for it. So character boosts, buying gold through token selling and all that shit. Grind is a big part of what WoW is, by paying money to skip it you're "winning" the game faster.
    Yeah, if you make your own nonsense definition of P2W, everything can be P2W. By everyone else's definition, skipping a grind is not winning.

Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    Yeah, if you make your own nonsense definition of P2W, everything can be P2W. By everyone else's definition, skipping a grind is not winning.
    If you wouldn't quote shit out of context, my definition wouldn't be nonsense and I doubt you speak for "everyone". Quote the entire post again, or actually read it, and it will make plenty of sense. Or don't, I imagine if I continue to engage in a conversation with you it'll just end with you telling me how dumb I am and how smart you are and all that bullshit.

Deleted
    If you wouldn't quote shit out of context, my definition wouldn't be nonsense and I doubt you speak for "everyone". Quote the entire post again, or actually read it, and it will make plenty of sense. Or don't, I imagine if I continue to engage in a conversation with you it'll just end with you telling me how dumb I am and how smart you are and all that bullshit.
    That was the whole post, excluded the part where you said you don't give a shit, but that doesn't seem very relevant to your definition of P2W though? And no, I don't speak for everyone, it's just a figure of speech. But if you insist:

Not that I give a shit, I don't measure the size of my dick and wealth by the amount of purple pixels I amass in video games, just saying, this is how I see it.
    Yeah, if you make your own nonsense definition of P2W, everything can be P2W. By almost everyone else's definition, skipping a grind is not winning.

I'm making more gold than ever before. Just bought gametime for my second account with gold. Feels good, man
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

10+ Year Old Account
    It's good for WoW as a whole...how in the unholy fuck is gold buying a good thing?
    It's only a good thing when it makes Activision money, not when it made the Chinese farmers money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    By almost everyone else's definition, skipping a grind is not winning.
    You make a very good point actually, skipping a grind IS pay-to-win, I never thought of it that way.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigy View Post

Players have continously played a game for up to five years, staying either subbed or generating gold for their subscription, so it kinda makes sense that they're far wealthier. Did the massive spike in easy gold generation make sense to have? I would say no. However, did it require a lot of time investment to get these massive gold farms going? It definitely did.

What I did in Legion is that I've gotten 9 characters up to level 110 across two different realms. Two were admittedly boosted through the boosts that came with Legion and BfA, two were leveled during the Legion prepatch, two are demon hunters and only the rest was "leveled properly". I however managed to get out of Legion with around 7 million gold, doing some pretty basic stuff. It was definitely a huge time investment for me even though I didn't play a lot(even the characters that start at 98 like DH and the one that was boosted to 100 leeched off the Legion invasions; I'd do invasions with them for a week or two and get them up to 110).

The removal of such easy income is actually a thing that is unfair to all those that are restarting to play now or have just started playing. I know it felt unfair to me that I couldn't leech off the garrisons that my friends kept telling me about. Everything in BfA however points to massive removal of gold from the game and gold massively switching hands between players. These are good things.

Deleted
    When even the devs are encouraging and happy that people are buying gold and pay2winning their way in the game, you know any hope of balancing it is out the window. From he front page:

"This means that more people are buying the Tokens with real money faster than those buying the token with gold. Thus causing the price to fall. It unfortunately means a little less gold for your token, but the market dictates that is how much it's worth at the moment. Lot's of gold is moving around as its still the start of an expansion. It's pretty normal.

In fact it means the opposite of what you're proposing, its good for WoW as a whole because it means people are buying plenty of tokens to sell for gold. Slightly negative for token sellers if anything.

I totally see the point you're making though, in that it implies less people are buying tokens with gold. Which isn't necessarily the truth but rather the value of those selling them for gold has drastically changed causing the price to fall.
    "

Negative for gold sellers...you ARE gold sellers.

And of course the usual PR bullshit, they can "totally see what we're saying" and "isn't necessarily the truth" and "it's pretty normal". It's fine. Everything is fine.

It's "fine". The game is in a "good spot".
    Learn how to use the auction house and you don't need to buy gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    Wow 750g for one herb? What magical realm are you on? Herbs are worth around 50g if that. And boe farming. Yeah, gotta get that sweet sweet rng profit. Oh look, you've been farming for 10 hours, 2 people in your group got 2-3 boes, and one guy got the mount twice while you got vendor trash.
    What crack are you smoking? Anchor weed is going for 400-800g depending on time of day/week/server. Nothing magical about that at all. On a medium rp server, I've made over 100k just from the herbs and a few fish I've picked up while leveling. Not actually farming, just picking stuff up as I'm already going places. While that's not a lot by my standards, it's enough for a month of gametime, which by most people's /is/ a fair amount.

Honestly, it's the usual whining. The economy is still chugging along just fine, just requiring some actual play again. It's just people aren't willing to do more than run mission tables to get gold and then whine about it. I don't normally even sell things like herbs, I keep them for myself, but I have no intention of raiding or otherwise playing seriously on my Horde server, so I decided to take advantage of early expansion pricing. Anyone else could do the exact same thing as I did.

Deleted
    When someone is buying tokens with real money, the guy who buy it isnt paying the subscription.

And since no one is buying gear I cant see where this is p2w.

Sudenly in this game every scrub is an economist, a story teller and a game dev.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermelloth View Post
    <.< how about buying the needed gold to get a darkmoon deck : fathom? BiS for different classes , superior to raid trinkets ? seems pretty P2W to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mortalha View Post
    When someone is buying tokens with real money, the guy who buy it isnt paying the subscription.

And since no one is buying gear I cant see where this is p2w.

Sudenly in this game every scrub is an economist, a story teller and a game dev.
    darkmoon decks dude , bis and stuff