Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Deleted

Onyxia Scale Cloak - Its the small things that made Vanilla

I just came across a video on youtube explaining this item called Onyxia Scale Cloak and it made me realize even further why Vanilla was so awesome and i wanted to share with you guys

Onyxia Scale Cloak: Protects the wearer from being fully engulfed by Shadow Flame.

Basically this cloak is needed to fight Nefarian in Blackwing Lair otherwise you are one shotted by a boss mechanic that hits the entire raid.
    And how do you get it?
    Well, you need a leatherworker to craft it for the raid.
    You also need a skinner to skin Onyxia to make this cloak
    But you needed skinner profession to be at level 315...and the max was 300 at the time.
    So you needed 1 of 2 weapons that drop in raids that give +10 to skinning and an enchant to reach the 315 level needed to skin Onyxia.

LOL

So...to recap:
    -To beat Nefarian the raid needed this cloak on several people
    -To have the cloak you need a leatherworker
    -The leatherworker needed to skin Onyxia
    -To skin Onyxia you needed skinning at level 315
    -to have skinning at level 315 you needed 1 of 2 possible weapons who dropped in raids
    -To have access to this raids you needed to be attuned to them

-----------

It was the small things like this that made Vanilla in my opinion What do you guys think?

Props to MadSeasonShow's video where i got this information:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLrNaE5pNfI&t=3m16s
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2018-09-24 at 05:36 PM.

Yeah I actually have this pattern on my LW from Vanilla. Not sure if you can still even get it.

It's all of those small attunements that made things cool, like when you think of an epic fantasy story. It's like you need a thing to beat the dragon. But to get the thing you need to do a thing. And to do that thing you have to do this other thing. Then you are ready.

Stand behind throne. Only place you could LoS the shadow flame.

Not to mention you had to be attuned with Onyxia to even be able to get the items needed as well.

The thing is though that stuff like this had to go. First and foremost there's the access issue. Why can Blizzard spend all that time and money on raids if they're not accessible?

But it also handicaps top-end guilds as well. Back before attunements were removed in when Black Temple was current, they complained a lot because they'd have to give up a night of raiding in order to raid SSC/TK to get people attuned to Hyjal and ultimately Black Temple. They had to do certain bosses in a certain order warping in and out of the dungeons to turn in quests and such.

15+ Year Old Account
    Also if I remember correctly, the initial cloak recipe needed to make the Onyxia Scale Cloak was a drop of 1 type of Dark Iron Dwarf mob in Blackrock Mountains... and it was a pretty low drop chance. Fun times farming that

But yeah I kinda miss these things, but understand they needed to be taken away as well. As others have said, why spend resources making content that then people can't access if they haven't been able to complete the attunement.

And raid size wasn’t flexed.. it was a 40 man raid
    Successful people build each other up, inspire and motivate each other.

Unsuccessful people hate, blame and complain.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I just came across a video on youtube explaining this item called Onyxia Scale Cloak and it made me realize even further why Vanilla was so awesome and i wanted to share with you guys

Onyxia Scale Cloak: Protects the wearer from being fully engulfed by Shadow Flame.

Basically this cloak is needed to fight Nefarian in Blackwing Lair otherwise you are one shotted by a boss mechanic that hits the entire raid.
    And how do you get it?
    Well, you need a leatherworker to craft it for the entire raid.
    But you needed skinner profession to be at level 315...and the max was 300 at the time.
    So you needed 1 of 2 weapons that drop in raids that give +10 to skinning and an enchant to reach the 315 level needed to skin Onyxia.

LOL

So...to recap:
    -To beat Nefarian the entire raid needed this cloak
    -to have skinning at level 315 you needed 1 of 2 possible weapons who dropped in raids

-----------

It was the small things like this that made Vanilla in my opinion What do you guys think?

This is why Vanilla was Vanilla.

This was cool for the playerbase it had back then. But now, that playerbase has, for lack of better term, matured? And the newer people who haven't played Wrath, Cata, MoP, WoD, Legion are not used to that type of guild effort needed to progress bosses.

Will it be fun in Vanilla servers? Maybe.
    Do I want to see it on Live? No. Nobody has time for that.

isn't that why retard finder is in the game now. So stuff like this can come back

Infracted.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2018-09-25 at 02:07 AM.

Tanks also need one each for the drake bosses since they breath Shadow Flame in the direction of their targets. It's easy to wipe on those if some numbskull pulls aggro from the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskra View Post
    Tanks also need one each for the drake bosses since they breath Shadow Flame in the direction of their targets. It's easy to wipe on those if some numbskull pulls aggro from the tank.
    I raided BWL. Getting attunements and onyxia scale cloak etc was tedious, nothing more.

We were killing Onyxia before we downed our first boss in MC, so gathering enough scales wasn’t an issue. The recipe wasn’t hard to get, and a few UBRS runs to get Finkle’s Skinner was simple enough. The only hard part was getting the pattern for the Cindercloth Cloak, and that just took some patience.

The best thing about Vanilla was the fact that you needed a community around you to play with and if you didn't behave like a decent person and play OK then you wouldn't be part of the game, in other words there was a filter for bullshit and toxic people. All WoW really needs is the removal of all queuing systems and it would instantly become better.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post

And how do you get it?
    Well, you need a leatherworker to craft it for the entire raid.

LOL

So...to recap:
    -To beat Nefarian the entire raid needed this cloak

-----------

i still have it in my bank out of nostalgia. to receive the cloak from the guild master was a big thing back than.

And there was a place where u would survive the shadowflame without the cape btw, but some healers and tanks absolutely had to have it.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's neat from the RP side of things. Alar was immune to fire. In BT for mother you all had to wear that crap shadow resist set.

It adds story to the fight but now people just wanna mash buttons and kill crap ASAP. I doubt you will see the return of anything like this.

As for the cloak. I love it, I still have an unbinded one I made back in BC i haven't parted with yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by meandean1216 View Post
    isn't that why retard finder is in the game now. So stuff like this can come back
    ...So that people have to dedicate dozens of hours to meet the baseline requirement to do something?

A thing which, itself, if done correctly, was only yet ANOTHER piece of a much larger goal?

Most of us aren't 14 year olds in high school with enough time to do whatever we'd like anymore. There's a good reason nonsense like this doesn't exist anymore. You can't sell players on having to invest hundreds and hundreds of man hours into a video game anymore.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Zensunni View Post
    I raided BWL. Getting attunements and onyxia scale cloak etc was tedious, nothing more.
    Ay men brother, I played vanilla and even a couple of private servers, And while ive never done the horde side chain, Fuck me sideways i hated doing prison break runs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalerender View Post
    Stand behind throne. Only place you could LoS the shadow flame.
    Not the only place. In the tunnel closest to the throne you could LoS it by standing behind one of the pillars right at the back.
    Speciation Is Gradual

I think BT attunement was way too tedious, since you basically had to backtrack all previous raids in order to get there. It wasnt a problem for regular players that started at the start of TBC, but it was pretty bad for late-comers. The only thing that made it doable was that TBC had a truckload of players on every stage of raiding, so even if your guild didnt want to boost you or you didnt want to get boosted, you could find people on your level to get attuned. With people devouring content as fast as they do now, attunements no longer have a place. I wish they made large scale events like ToC, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    i still have it in my bank out of nostalgia. to receive the cloak from the guild master was a big thing back than.

And there was a place where u would survive the shadowflame without the cape btw, but some healers and tanks absolutely had to have it.
    So not the entire raid needed this cloak? It just made it easier?
    How would people know the timing of shadowflame? Raiding addons?

There must be a trick to skip this seems too crazy to be true