Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I think the main thing is, because both were in the game and options similar to fury being able to use 1h instead of 2h. Blizzard already has the tech in the game to allow the transmogrifying of one weapon type to another, Artifact weapons are proof of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, he sits on the Frozen Throne wielding his sword Frostmourne atop of Icecrown Citadel in Icecrown which is a glacier in Northrend. Everything totally points to Unholy Death Knight.

On a non comedic note LK is all aspects at once if we are being real about it.
    Summons hordes of zombies = Check
    Uses Necrotic Plague, Soul Reaper and a bunch of other shadow damage abilties = Check
    Arthas had Death Coil in WC3 = Check
    Sounds a lot more unholish to me. The one frost based ability The lich king used was remorseless winter.

Personnaly i prefer

7+ Year Old Account
    It seems to be entirely in conflict with their "class fantasy" of a slow moving juggernaut of death. A slow moving juggernaut of death should not be dual wielding a pair of fast blades, it looks utterly retarded.

MY LEGS MOVE LIKE GLACIERS BUT MY ARMS MOVE LIKE SONIC THE HEDGEHOG!
    TEA IS DOWN!

Sylvanas is what you get when you cross Joffrey Baratheon with a mary sue. Change my mind. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10+ Year Old Account
    If I wanted to be a little dual wielding bitch, I'd have rolled a rogue.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by SHUMEGGAH View Post
    What is the appeal of 2h Frost currently? I understand people have been wanting 2h Frost to make a come back for a while, but at least since WoD what is this mass resurgence?
    1. Class fantasy : an unstoppable slow juggernaut who suddenly starts spamming fast, low-damage attacks with two blades when he manages to reach melee range? C'mon.

2. Having a hard-hitting melee ability : right now, a KM'ed Obliterate (with both hands) barely does more damage than a Rime'd HB. It feels wrong.

3. That's stuff we had, and that I liked. Having that taken away doesn't feel good, especially since there's no really good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaelyn View Post
    As someone who has played a death knight since wrath, I stand by the idea that the lich king is THE unholy death knight and that his weapon should have been the unholy artifact.
    i like that unholy's artifact was basically better frostmourne with an uglier design.

it did everything frostmourne does, but it was better at it and had extra powers too.

Back in the day having either 2h or 2 1h you could kinda tune where you damage would come from. 2h hander and appropriate talents would lend itself to a more bursty but physical obliterate style gameplay. Huge obliterate crits kinda how the ability should actually function being called obliterate......
    Meanwhile 2 1h would lend itself to a more rougeish quick attacks crazy frost strike damage play style. You could decide which one you wanted to be either in pvp or pve

Quote Originally Posted by Isaelyn View Post

( Speaking of weapons... Is there any reason now for them to not put weapons on the same shifting primary stat system they have on armor? I mean, what does the fixed primary stat serve Other than limited weapon type choices on healers and locking some melee classes out of getting certain weapon models off of personal loot? I guess primary stat on weapons keeps primary stat slightly relevant and if it wasn't fixed on something they could just merge strength, agility, and int into one stat...? )
    They could have done so many years ago. But it would take away a lot of RPG flavour. In the end, such decisions are always arbitrary and most of the time, the actual feedback from the masses is unpredictable.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not my own explanation, but I share it nonetheless: Its more thematically correct.

The premise of frost is a hard hitting juggernaut. If I wanted to "obliterate" something, a 2h seems more fitting for that.

Unholy is focused around combining spell casting, undead minions and plagues. Surely dual wielding would be more fitting for it? It would allow them to apply sickness with each of a thousand cuts, where the "magic" in the blow is more important than the brute force behind it, leaving the enemy incapacitated and beaten. If I cleave some guys head off with a massive 2h, my plagues means nothing and don't fit thematically.

Thus, Frost should be two handing and Unholy should be dual wielding in my eyes. There's also the matter of personal choice. Allowing both 2h and dual wield within a spec is always favored to give player agency and was merely cut because it was difficult for Blizzard to essentially need to balance 2 specs for 1 talent tree.
    Last edited by Xykotic; 2018-09-27 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maccajoe View Post
    Back in the day having either 2h or 2 1h you could kinda tune where you damage would come from. 2h hander and appropriate talents would lend itself to a more bursty but physical obliterate style gameplay. Huge obliterate crits kinda how the ability should actually function being called obliterate......
    Meanwhile 2 1h would lend itself to a more rougeish quick attacks crazy frost strike damage play style. You could decide which one you wanted to be either in pvp or pve
    the last time 2hnd was semi-viable it did more Frost strikes, while dual wielding did more obliterates (cata) because 2hnd generated additional RP on Auto attacks i believe.

In Either case a cosmetic glyph similar to what they did for paladin giving them Ashbringer appearance when using a CD in WoD. Just give Frost a cosmetic Glyph that gives you a 2hnd of your choice while maintaining all the DW mechanics under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Baddok21 View Post
    the last time 2hnd was semi-viable it did more Frost strikes, while dual wielding did more obliterates (cata) because 2hnd generated additional RP on Auto attacks i believe.

In Either case a cosmetic glyph similar to what they did for paladin giving them Ashbringer appearance when using a CD in WoD. Just give Frost a cosmetic Glyph that gives you a 2hnd of your choice while maintaining all the DW mechanics under the hood.
    Heck, just show me one number for both MH and OH Oblit and gimme that transmog, and I'll be happy. Well, except from the part where I have to farm a different weapon for Blood, but I won't complain too loudly, promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Baddok21 View Post

Uhhh im not talking about what was viable im talking about what the differences between them were originally. 2h would do more obliterate damage as obliterate was physical and that scaled well with a 2h while 1 h generated more RP and you would stack mastery so FS would do a tone. It was like this in Wod as well. Just google some youtube vids from wod and they would show you, you would want to use KM on obliterate with 2h. Sometimes with 1h handers wouldn't even use obliterate just howling blast.

Deleted
    Why people want 2H frost because of the flavor and lore from wow RTS to WOTLK Dks have always carried a massive 2H rune blade. The DK starting quest chain didn't even have a 1H weapon reward. Some people did dual wield for tanking but that's because back then only 1H weapon had tanking stats parry/ dodge. Dual wield for frost was an accidental discovery during Cata when it started to sim higher than 2H. From Cata to MoP people could use either dual wield or 2H as it was a minor dps loss but from WoD dual wield frost became main stream cause it did much better dps. In Legion they removed it completely.

Aesthetically I really think 2H goes better with frost because of the big damages from Obliterate and frost strike, dual wield makes more sense as UH or even blood. At this point Blizzard wants specs to be different so they won't let Dks have 2H wep for all specs. I think it is extremely unlikely that Blizzard would change frost to 2H. What we can ask for is a glyph that changes appearance of our equipped weapon to that of the one in our bag similar to a glyph Warrior's have https://www.wowhead.com/item=104138/...e-weaponmaster

the reason I want 2h frost

I have been playing DK since the night they launched. I have loved this class through thick and thin. The big draw for me with 2h frost is a couple key points.

-The aesthetics are nice as well as the lore just seems to make more sense. Especially with obliterate being a massive smash style attack.

-The biggest part is the play style. When frost was 2h and 1h optional the actually play style changed. With a 2h frost build you focused obliterate and physical damage over frost damage. With the 1 handers you focused frost strike and the magic damage portion. That play style option changed stat priorities as well as rotations. It gave frost two similar yet different options. I also remember 2h obliterate strikes crushing leather and cloth wearers.

Frost as a whole is a simpler spec as far as rotation goes but having the weapon option could open that up greatly. The argument could of course be made for unholy to get 1hs as well but thats a different thing entirely.

Because it looks cooler, and would be easier gathering 1 weapon than 2. When I think of Obliterating someone, I think of a slow heavy 2hander swinging at them. Not some little fast dual wield attack. I use frost scythe a lot so at least that has a pseudo 2h animation.

I just wanna be a slow juggernaut that lumbers after you. Dual wielding just kinda ruins that feeling for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SHUMEGGAH View Post
    What is the appeal of 2h Frost currently? I understand people have been wanting 2h Frost to make a come back for a while, but at least since WoD what is this mass resurgence?
    I just want SMASH. Not the numbers, but bringing a heavy 2-hander down on mobs. I've played 2h Frost as long as it was a thing. Probably why I also play Ret and Arms. There's nothing wrong with dual-wield, of course, that's why I keep a Rogue around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dristereau View Post
    Frost I would see more iconic as the 2H spec, when you think Death Knight you think Plate Wielder with a giant sword.
    Well... axe, in my case. My DK is an orc and I don't think they have made a better 2h axe skin than the one Saurfang Junior drops. But the point about big weapon stands.

5+ Year Old Account
    Personally, having played Death Knights since Wrath, I was always wondering the logic behind eventually turning one spec into tank, one spec into dual wield, and 1 spec into 2 handed. Back in Wrath you could mix and match any of those 3 affixes.

I was server second Sartharion 25 3D as an unholy dual wielding DK tank.

All 3 of those details I just mentioned don't work with each other anymore.

Needless to say, I am personally a bit more than fatigued with our current "class fantasy" especially since the class was hailed for its open ended design, and then streamlined later. Honestly, Unholy worked the best in Cataclysm because until they changed how Sudden Doom worked, it could actually proc off of ANY auto attack, not just main hand. So yes, you'd get weaker scourge strikes, plague strikes, shit like that, but you'd get stronger and more frequent death coils. This was an extremely unique choice with Unholy, where you would choose between a traditional 2 handed for more "whack a mole" styled slower, powerful play, or dual wield for a generally weaker, but potentially more devastating build based on luck. The two builds even had completely different stat priorities. DW Unholy would prioritize Haste>Mastery and 2H would prioritize Crit>Haste.

Blizzard eventually made the executive decision to get rid of this unique and fun aspect when dragonsoul came out, and since then I've just stuck to tanking, since Blizzard apparently doesn't want me to have fun.

Bunch of dirty RPs, fuck class balance right, looks is all that matters.
    This is the reason frost plays like shit, ppl more interested in asking for 2hand which is never coming back, instead of giving feedback on how the spec plays.

Because in most lore, a Knight, has a 2 hander

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care about 2H Frost as much as I kinda like the idea of switching them so I can have DW Unholy...debilitating diseases along with a death by a thousand cuts kind of feel.

While Frost does feel like it's all about pulverizing your opponent (I mean one of the abilities is called obliterate) which just feels more like it belongs to something large and powerful like a 2H'er.

P.S. the only DK we really see significantly dual wielding is Thassarian, who uses a skeletal minion.
    Last edited by Kithelle; 2018-09-28 at 05:31 PM.