Poll: When should BFA end?

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Should BFA end in 8.2?

I think that BFA should end in 8.2 and that the devs should really sit down and work through all the systemic issues with BFA instead of attempting to bandaid fix this expansion.

1. Azerite cannot be salvaged at this point
    The system is fundamentally broken at its core which the devs themselves have acknowledged. Lore has mentioned that the Azerite issues are something that we "simply have to accept as a downside". We will need a new expansion with a new progression system to address these issues.

2. Lukewarm reception of Islands and Warfronts
    The sooner the expansion is over, the sooner the devs can stop wasting development resources to keep these systems going.

3. Classes cannot be fixed this expansion
    Azerite and ability prunint have crippled the base power of every class, and while these systems are in place, classes will continue to be hamstrung. Classes cannot be fixed until Azerite is removed, which won't happen until a new expansion.

4. It feels like we haven't left the Legion expansion
    BFA seems like a major content patch of Legion with a few extra zones and dungeons. We need a truly fresh start with a fresh story and systems to feel like we've started a new expansion. 8.2 could introduce Azshara/N'zoth to lead into the big old gods expansion which is the real story as opposed to the filler Horde/Alliance schoolyard brawl.

Given BFA's record week 1 sales, it is clear that people are still very keen on WoW, as long as they are provided a quality product (which BFA has not delivered). So I think that BFA should be wrapped up as soon as possible so the next expansion has a chance at being a quality expansion. Here is a arojected timeline:
    8.0 - 6 months
    8.1 - 6 months
    8.2 - 12 months
    9.0 launch - August 2020 with Classic launch 6 months after 8.2 launch.

What do you think?

No, I don't want another abandoned expansion like wod, and it won't happen like that because blizzard has already planned out all their patches. I would rather they just fix the azerite accquisition issue and then do the usual class and system balance with a good content release schedule.

If they leave it like they did wod, I will quit and not come back this time.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. People liked WoW expansions just fine before they had artifacts. Azerite while shit is still something to do. We dont need another WoD. Give us the same amount of stuff as Legion but seriously attempt to perform surgery on Azerite in 8.2 imo. Even adding a talent tree to the neck itself and some other smaller changes could make it a lot better.

They need to fix Azerite, and figure out what they wanna do with that, and definitely ways to make islands more interesting (not sure exactly how) and add a pvp warmode, or even a mythic 20 man difficulty Warfront thats comparable to mythic raid difficulty for guilds to do.
    Never underestimate the unknown, or some shit. *shrugs i unno*

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    9.0 launch - August 2020 with Classic launch 6 months after 8.2 launch.
    So, uh, you want the next expansion to come out about the same time as it would have normally? If that's the case, I'd rather them just keep on making content for this expansion instead of giving us 8.2 for a year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why? So you can post about overly long content droughts? I don't think so.

It's going to play out as planned. They aren't even about to end it early based on your say-so.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Volendrung View Post
    So, uh, you want the next expansion to come out about the same time as it would have normally? If that's the case, I'd rather them just keep on making content for this expansion instead of giving us 8.2 for a year.
    Then you'll just get BFA 2.0. Development time is fixed. If they spend X hours on BFA, that's X hours less for 9.0. I'd rather that X be spent on 9.0 to increase the likelihood of not receving another BFA than it being spent on attempting to salvage systems that cannot be salvaged and are going to be scrapped in 9.0 anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if it's possible for Islands to be made interesting. The randomized mobs are at this point just visually distinct, they have comparable abilities, health, etc. Rares are forgettable.

Maybe something similar to Wildstar's scenarios where you could vote on different paths to take to different areas. Have different sets of choices each time so it's not always a case where you just pick whatever's been determined as the most optimum path. On one island you might choose between scaling a mountain to explore a ruin fortress or heading underground through a fissure to see what lurks in the depths. Give players a little more agency in what they encounter.

1) Is false. He same SOME of the downsides they might not be able to fix. But that applies to pretty much every system ever made. There will always be downsides. And saying some downsides cant be fixed is FAR different than your broken at its core. Personally i am not a huge fan, but also dont forget tier pieces had plenty of issues. How many classes would keep using old tier sets that were 20-30 ilvls lower than the new ones? Many would farm old raids just for them. Also the token system for them/where some classes shared was bad. Atleast with this if one class gets something he doesnt need he can pass it to someone of the same armor type.

2) I agree a little here. Warfronts was crap. Mostly due to down time and how they implemented it. But thats pretty easy to fix. I am in the middle ground of Islands. They arent bad and they arent amazing. The good thing about both these is its been obviously created in a way that requires pretty minimal development time. So they arent wasting alot of resources as you try to claim.

3) Every expac they claim classes cant be fixed. I have heard this for the past 14 years. Pretty silly over all. I fail to see how azerite affects this so much. If its so broken at its core then how is it affecting classes so badly? As for ability pruning there is both up and downs to it. You cant keep adding abilities forever. Do we really need more than 30 abilities on our bars? Abilitiy pruning HAS to happen. Now wether you agree with how and what they remove thats a dif story.

4) This is also false. What do you mean it doesnt feel we have left legion? The story is almost in no way related to demons or the burning legion. The only main link is trying to save a stabbed world. And even that has fallen to a side story of each of the zones. Every expac 80%+ of the old systems are brought over. What expac had more than 2 or maybe 3 major features? You might not like the ones in here, but they do exist. You make it sound like they havent added alot of new zones, quests, dungeons, and raids. This is no less than before. If you want to try to argue specific story lines go for it. But the fact is we have NO good idea what story we are in for.

Your timeline is a 2 year timeline which we are already on? As for the last year long wait its already been said multiple times no one likes it, players or the dev team. They are trying to cut that. And idk why you bring up classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Volendrung View Post

It's believed (and it makes sense), that Legion was so good, and well received, because they stopped all development on WoD, and shifted to Legion. The theory is the next expansion will still be released on the 2 year schedule, but will be better due to having more development time spent on it.

That said, I still don't understand the BfA hate. It's never to late to salvage bad ideas or systems. Nothing in BfA is inherently bad now. All it would take is a good patch to make Azeroth great again (MAGA!!).

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz isn't going to get 9.0 out faster than 24 months no matter what they do, we've had enough time to dispell that myth.

So might as well go for the full 8.3 or 8.4 life cycle.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Blizz isn't going to get 9.0 out faster than 24 months no matter what they do, we've had enough time to dispell that myth.

So might as well go for the full 8.3 or 8.4 life cycle.
    You'd rather the dev resources be spent on more pointless systems like more Azerite traits and Warfronts for 8.3+ (which will be discontinued) than being spent really refining and perfecting 9.0? You want another rushed expansion?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree 100% with the OP.

It sure isn't a perfect expansion and has some things that could have been better.
    Although i still enjoy the game. And i like playing it.

I only have one advice for the OP, and i can't stress this enough:

If you don't like ANYTHING in this game, just quit the game.

Your ideas or long posts on what to do and change aren't constructive nor will they fix what you wanna fix with year long content patches.

And as a final note: we have no idea where the story is going. Blizzard knows some systems aren't working as they intended and that will get fixed but it takes time.

We need a place to start listing things that need to be done for 9.0 asap.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    You'd rather the dev resources be spent on more pointless systems like more Azerite traits and Warfronts for 8.3+ (which will be discontinued) than being spent really refining and perfecting 9.0? You want another rushed expansion?
    1: the next expansion is already in development for about 2-3 months most likely.
    2: the further we get into BFA more developers / designers are switched to the new xpac since BFA is set to end at point X.
    3: Legion had some changes to the artifact system with the crucible which was also the final patch.

A lot of content for this expansion is already done and just need final testing (raid / ptr stuff)
    Some people seem to think Blizzard works 2 years on the basic expansion (i.e. BFA we have so far)

And then just create and come up with some new content that will make up the rest of said expansion.

85-90% of BFA is done and ready @ blizzard shelves waiting for release.

I think it's terrible honestly.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No. I want them to keep doing what they're doing.

Rather than another 14 month Archimonde farm.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    That said, I still don't understand the BfA hate.
    Yeah. It's not my favorite expansion by far, but it just feels like a normal WoW expansion for the most part. Only thing I really have a complaint against is the azerite levels and locking traits behind it. It should just be all traits unlocked and the heart just makes them stronger as it levels, imo.

*shrug*

I think that BFA should end in 8.2 and that the devs should really sit down and work through all the systemic issues with BFA instead of attempting to bandaid fix this expansion.
    You know, it's never too late to fix game. If not implement everything from scratch, then at least compensate broken systems. For example. As for me just two immediate changes would make difference between buying and not buying BFA - return of flying and removal of PVP flag. And another two small changes would make difference between being subbed and unsubbed - scaling fix in old outdoor content (overtuned mobs should be nerfed and rares should be soloable again)/raids (proper one-shot of everything that is more than one xpack old) and return of gear progression. That's it. Is it really that hard? I just wouldn't care about terrible story, theme of xpack and bad itemization, if game would be simply fun to play again, cuz this things are actually minor and only small % of competitive hardcore players care about them. Casuals don't care about character power so much. Mobs just should die fast enough and that's it.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2018-09-30 at 07:50 AM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

I'll do you one better. We should skip 9.0 all together and go straight to 10.0. 9.0 is already beyond salvaging because <insert feature here> is fundamentally broken!