Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    No spoilers. (Ok sorry I lied a little) I've read the books, so I'm probably biased but...

Fucking hell. It's not identical to the books but it's still pretty fucking ace.

I can't believe they're doing the er thing with the 1300 er things.

It's gonna cost an absolute fortune in cgi unless we get the whole Stargate pine forests style...

Please Amazon, make nights dawn trilogy Amazon, please
    Last edited by mmocf0b29d4c77; 2018-06-29 at 08:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit that finale. I'm glad people are still using spoiler tags for the books, and damn this show is going places.

I have no idea how many seasons we are going to get, but I can't wait to see what is coming next.

Wtf hit Holden as he went through? My guess is Miller after he had just said he will need a ride, so happy to see Miller back. Ghost-miller is hilarious.

- - - Updated - - -

I have come to notice that it seems like each season has two finales. Like it's two seasons in one. I don't know if that is because the books are just that good, but I love the fast pace and story.

Also, what happened to Fred Johnson? Why did he disappear?
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2018-07-02 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I have come to notice that it seems like each season has two finales. Like it's two seasons in one. I don't know if that is because the books are just that good, but I love the fast pace and story.
    It's because, up until now, the seasons haven't followed the books exactly. So Eros crashing was the end of book 1, while the structure leaving Venus again was the end of book 2.

I was bored so I bought season 1 of this. I just finished the first episode and yikes this was BAD. Its apparently edgelords in space. Its like if you took all the jerks you run into in a pug 5 man and put them all on a ship. Just being nasty to each other. Absolutely no-one is likable at all. The missiles blow up the ship and its almost comedy, like you expect a laughtrack that these people finally got what was coming to them. I think they were shooting for a dramatic moment but it was anything but. The survivors in the pod aren't likable either. I can see why the ratings were so low. I just have to wonder how it lasted 3 seasons and why would anyone pick this up for a 4th? I'll try to finish season 1 but I expect there's gonna be a laughtrack in my head at the dramatic moments.

This might be the worst show I've ever seen. I'm really curious if it gets worse.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I was bored so I bought season 1 of this. I just finished the first episode and yikes this was BAD. Its apparently edgelords in space. Its like if you took all the jerks you run into in a pug 5 man and put them all on a ship. Just being nasty to each other. Absolutely no-one is likable at all. The missiles blow up the ship and its almost comedy, like you expect a laughtrack that these people finally got what was coming to them. I think they were shooting for a dramatic moment but it was anything but. The survivors in the pod aren't likable either. I can see why the ratings were so low. I just have to wonder how it lasted 3 seasons and why would anyone pick this up for a 4th? I'll try to finish season 1 but I expect there's gonna be a laughtrack in my head at the dramatic moments.

This might be the worst show I've ever seen. I'm really curious if it gets worse.
    This has to be a troll. Literally the best sci fi we've got since BSG (movies and series) and you diss it like that? Can you stick to your comedy sitcoms please? Damn I got pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    This has to be a troll. Literally the best sci fi we've got since BSG (movies and series) and you diss it like that? Can you stick to your comedy sitcoms please? Damn I got pissed.
    This show violates one of the primary rules of storytelling. Create interesting characters. None of these characters are interesting. Its really hard to watch. You have 10 minutes of everyone bickering and being nasty to each other with no manners at all, followed by action scene. Rinse and repeat. Its literally like reading chat in some nasty 5 man pug in WoW.

I'm watching episode 2 and they are dying in a pod and bickering pointlessly about who should lead, talking about kicking each other off the pod. Lovely attitudes. I wanted a space rock to smash into the pod to end it.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2018-10-01 at 05:42 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    The characters are interesting, they're just not that likable as people. It's ensemble cast too, so you're putting the cart before the horse. The first episode stumbles a bit for sure, but to judge the whole series based on one episode is kinda lol.
    Oh geez, that sounds like people who defend BfA by saying its just alpha, its just beta, its just the 1st week of release, its just 8.0 and 8.1 will fix everything. Don't do that. They deserve criticism for the terrible writing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think he's a troll. He said he watched 1 episode, and the first couple of episodes aren't that good at making you stay for longer.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

I do agree the first episodes are hard to watch, but this truly is a beautiful space series, give it a try before harshly judging it. If you like the genre that is.

This show violates one of the primary rules of storytelling. Create interesting characters. None of these characters are interesting. Its really hard to watch. You have 10 minutes of everyone bickering and being nasty to each other with no manners at all, followed by action scene. Rinse and repeat. Its literally like reading chat in some nasty 5 man pug in WoW.

I'm watching episode 2 and they are dying in a pod and bickering pointlessly about who should lead, talking about kicking each other off the pod. Lovely attitudes. I wanted a space rock to smash into the pod to end it.
    YES! I totally agree with what you're saying here
    I was so disappointed when I finally watched this show..
    None of the characters seems capable of doing the job they're set to do. And they're all assholes. It's an entire show about incapable assholes!

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    I don't think he's a troll. He said he watched 1 episode, and the first couple of episodes aren't that good at making you stay for longer.
    I was promised that the show gets better as the season goes along, I gave up after 7 episodes..
    Last edited by Argarock; 2018-10-01 at 06:01 AM.
    I've no idea what to write here.

the show doesn't pick up until episode 4. at least in my experience. that said, reading your replies you seem to be determined to dislike everything about it so I'm not sure even making it till episode 4 will change your mind. just a reminder. your opinion is just that. your opinion and PERSONAL preference. its totally cool not to like something, just don't act like its anything more than your personal dislike.

and btw, the reason sci-fi didn't renew it was not because of ratings, its becasue they couldn't afford it, it is an HBO level show to produce and sci-fi doesn't really have HBO money.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    That's part of the point lol, nobody is there because they're qualified, they're there because of circumstance.
    How is that anything but frustrating to watch?

Matt Damon in 'The Martian' is also a victim of circumstance, but it's still really interesting to watch because he's hyper-capable,
    the characters in BSG are also a victim of circumstance, but it's really interesting to watch, because the characters are likeable, the stakes are high, and sometimes they show a glimmer of genius!

watching 2 water miners in the expanse bikker for 5 minutes then have the older one close the airlock on the younger one just cause, is just.. annoying.
    I've no idea what to write here.

Quote Originally Posted by Argarock View Post
    How is that anything but frustrating to watch?

Matt Damon in 'The Martian' is also a victim of circumstance, but it's still really interesting to watch because he's hyper-capable,
    the characters in BSG are also a victim of circumstance, but it's really interesting to watch, because the characters are likeable, the stakes are high, and sometimes they show a glimmer of genius!

watching 2 water miners in the expanse bikker for 5 minutes then have the older one close the airlock on the younger one just cause, is just.. annoying.
    Yes because everyone being a super capable genius problem solver is sooo fun to watch. And everyone should be happy, cheerful and good to each other, because we're all like this in real life.

And while we're at it, let's cast some younger and more handsome actors and... let's loosen the plot a bit, seems rather complicated.

Actually let's call it Disney in Space.

Yes because everyone being a super capable genius problem solver is sooo fun to watch. And everyone should be happy, cheerful and good to each other, because we're all like this in real life.

And while we're at it, let's cast some younger and more handsome actors and... let's loosen the plot a bit, seems rather complicated.

Actually let's call it Disney in Space.
    I'm not asking for everyone to be a super capable genius. I'm saying the entire cast is unlikable. I mean, I get it, there are fans of noir storytelling. But the problem is the overwhelming majority of people have to deal with terrible people that have bad attitudes ALL DAY long. Often their bosses. So when they get a few hours to enjoy some entertainment, they DON'T want to spend it on a film or TV series filled with all the characters they are trying to escape from. That's why film noir is always going to be very niche.

That's why you need likable people in the story. I get that feeling myself. I watched 2 episodes and I'm like "I don't want to deal with people like this. I certainly don't want to watch fiction filled with them!"

The dialogue has been forgettable at best and poor at worst. The setup almost feels like a riff of "Total Recall" with Earth vs Mars and water being an issue along with inhabitants growing up with deformities and politics thrown in. I'm kinda expecting them to find an alien relic next.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2018-10-01 at 07:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Argarock View Post
    YES! I totally agree with what you're saying here
    I was so disappointed when I finally watched this show..
    None of the characters seems capable of doing the job they're set to do. And they're all assholes. It's an entire show about incapable assholes!

I was promised that the show gets better as the season goes along, I gave up after 7 episodes..

If you need heroes in your life, watch DC or Marvel.

I guess the show is just not for you.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

That's why you need likable people in the story. I get that feeling myself. I watched 2 episodes and I'm like "I don't want to deal with people like this. I certainly don't want to watch fiction filled with them!"
    You kinda highlighted the issue though... people deal with terrible people all the time IRL. There isn't some token "nice person" that comes up to you every day at work just to make the day more appealing to you.

I don't see this as "film noir", so much as an approach to portray a realistic near-future. (although that kinda goes off the rails quickly.)

This is a show about struggling to survive in a "war" without losing (too much of) your humanity. If you want "realism", then you aren't going to have it by having a half dozen people who just lost nearly everyone they know in a covert war suddenly be the most cheerful people on Sesame Street that are somehow able to manage jobs they never wanted. I hate characters that are OP "just because" of plot convenience... and often this show does just that... so I don't know why people want them to be MORE skilled than they already are.

If anything, I think this show suffered because it was *TOO* saccharine. (that and how quickly the storyline loses its realism.)

The problem also stems from not having enough character background. In the books avasarala, amos and bobbie are much more interesting (not necessarily "likeable"). I still find Holden completely insufferable in both versions tbh.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    The problem also stems from not having enough character background. In the books avasarala, amos and bobbie are much more interesting (not necessarily "likeable"). I still find Holden completely insufferable in both versions tbh.
    Yeah, the character depth provided in the show is pretty shallow. I found the show boring because of that alone. Mainly watching the series because I enjoyed the books quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Yeah, the character depth provided in the show is pretty shallow. I found the show boring because of that alone. Mainly watching the series because I enjoyed the books quite a bit.
    I find it hard to judge a show after I've read its source content.

#1. If it stays true to the source, its not "new" to me, so I feel like there's too little substance to it.
    #2. If it strays, I end up comparing it to how the original went, and less on how it "works" on its own. (otoh, I gave Walking Dead a lot of slack in that regard, but the writing just got worse and worse, especially when they weren't directly adapting)

Having not read the books for the Expanse, I found the series had just as much depth and backstory to the characters as I could hope from a Syfy series.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Having not read the books for the Expanse, I found the series had just as much depth and backstory to the characters as I could hope from a Syfy series.
    Definitely true.