Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    This is an old story, it happened on Earth and the engineer who made the mistake (and attempted to conceal it) was identified.

Thanks for the link. It did say that it appears to be an accident that was done while on the ground, and there was an attempted fix. They are being deliberately vague, but that's what government does when someone fucks up like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    Russia made the equipment.

Russia sent it to the ISS.

Faults were detected.

Russia blames astronauts. The US. NASA and others.

Turns out it was Russia who failed to catch the mistake/cover-up and sent it up there regardless.

Yeah. I am insulting Russia alright.
    This is what Russia does all the time. Poisons people on British soil, we find some Russians and are told they are only tourists! That this is just Britain making false accusations and they they should turn over their information for Russia to investigate.
    Aaand it turns out the "Tourists" are Russian government agents. Highly decorated too.

Yeah. So excuse me if I don't buy your outrage.
    Russia has a history of doing this.
    And the US has a history of invading sovereign nations and butchering millions of civilians. Are you upset about that too?

As has been said here multiple times, the story is rather old. Actually, weeks old. But of course, the daily mail jumps at the chance to create some drama where none exists. The ones throwing the accusations are certain russian media outlets, which I'd assume are the same calibre of 'news' like Fox or Daily Mail - complete garbage, used to stir up stupid people.

And apperatnly they succeded rather well.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2018-10-02 at 07:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    And the US has a history of invading sovereign nations and butchering millions of civilians. Are you upset about that too?
    Haha classic case of Whataboutism.
    We are done here.

We are done here.
    Says the guy who tries to drag in the alleged poisoning of Skripal. Priceless. But yeah, you are done.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    This is a pretty credible site (due to being concerned with space not politics): https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/09/0...n-human-error/

But they are referencing CBS and others, so credible could depending on if you're one of those types who hates the "mainstream" media lol.
    and that's /thread.
    Russian "engineer" , likely drunk on vodka, fucked-up the part, now the duplicitous totally-not-communist Russian government is trying to cover-up their engi's error by calling it sabotage.

to anyone not retarded or living under a rock this is hardly surprising.

We are done here.
    the most peaceful peacemakers in the world have no say in these kidns of affairs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morally Grey Storm View Post
    the most peaceful peacemakers in the world have no say in these kidns of affairs.
    I am not even American and I have my own issues with US foreign policy.
    but Whataboutism is a childish misdirection that merits no response.

Why?
    Here is a little video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TejoMjHk3x0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpVzHpgYuSc
    Last edited by Toho; 2018-10-02 at 08:15 PM.

I am not even American and I have my own issues with US foreign policy.
    but Whataboutism is a childish misdirection that merits no response.

Why?
    Here is a little video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TejoMjHk3x0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpVzHpgYuSc
    people attacking Russia can use this feat, and ones defending Russia can not?
    Is it not a little bit one skewed of an aproach?

- - - Updated - - -

what a lovely video... "old Soviet propaganda tool"
    as if USA didnt use the very same trick
    like never ever
    at all
    purest of all
    greatest country in the world
    honesty is ingrained in everyone there

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
    Well, considering the tense relations between Russia and USA those days, it is safe to assume people would think about an act of malevolence from the other side; and in fact, the malevolence was not even considered, as they though the hole had been made deliberately so the astronauts could accelerate the evacuation of their sick collegue.
    I don't know about you but if it was me that was up there the last thing I would even think of doing would be to start drilling holes in the only thing keeping me and everyone else alive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Says the guy who tries to drag in the alleged poisoning of Skripal. Priceless. But yeah, you are done.
    This thread is about the conduct of Russia, not the US; I honestly don't know why you bring US foreign policy into a thread about the failures of Russia to properly identify their engineering faults in the ISS.

Does it make Russia any better to try and point to the USA every time Russia does something wrong? No. It doesn't. You're just trying to bring others down instead of asking Russia to do better.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    people attacking Russia can use this feat, and ones defending Russia can not?
    Is it not a little bit one skewed of an aproach?

- - - Updated - - -

what a lovely video... "old Soviet propaganda tool"
    as if USA didnt use the very same trick
    Fucking Finland could have invented it.
    It would still not be ok.

There you go.
    Whataboutism again.

cheers mate but I am not going to participate in a game of "Well X did this. Well what about Y? They did this"
    It doesn't address the issues.
    It doesn't address the problems.
    There is nothing constructive about it. Its just pure tribalism and distraction of what actually happened.

Russia fucked up at their job.
    They were incompetent.
    Now they are blaming others for their mistakes.
    End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    This thread is about the conduct of Russia, not the US; I honestly don't know why you bring US foreign policy into a thread about the failures of Russia to properly identify their engineering faults in the ISS.

Does it make Russia any better to try and point to the USA every time Russia does something wrong? No. It doesn't. You're just trying to bring others down instead of asking Russia to do better.
    And here I though the thread was about a leak in a Sojus capsule and who might be responsible for it. Silly me, it is about Russias conduct.

10+ Year Old Account
    And here I though the thread was about a leak in a Sojus capsule and who might be responsible for it. Silly me, it is about Russias conduct.
    It would appear Russia is responsible for it through their own error.

Are you asserting that the US is instead? Because either you are, in which case you should provide proof, or you're admitting that you brought up the US out of nowhere and to no particular end.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Fucking Finland could have invented it.
    It would still not be ok.

There you go.
    Whataboutism again.

cheers mate but I am not going to participate in a game of "Well X did this. Well what about Y? They did this"
    It doesn't address the issues.
    It doesn't address the problems.
    There is nothing constructive about it. Its just pure tribalism and distraction of what actually happened.

Russia fucked up at their job.
    They were incompetent.
    Now they are blaming others for their mistakes.
    End of story.
    I am not asking you to participate in such a retarded game to begin with.
    I am merely pointing out that kettle is just as, if not more, black.

I have no actual data on the issue, therefore I won't argue though. Especially since there is no guarantee USA media representing it that way and you lot deflecting what I would say as "russain bias," or whatever crap they use these days.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    A mysterious hole appeared in the Russian section of the International Space Station and it was leaking oxygen.

Russia says it's sabotage and not a manufacturing defect.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ncy-chief.html

(Picture of hole)

Russian investigators looking into the origin of a hole that caused an oxygen leak on the International Space Station say it was caused deliberately.

Speaking on Monday, Dmitry Rogozin, the head of Russian space agency Roskosmos, said that an official investigative report had confirmed their theory.

'It concluded that a manufacturing defect had been ruled out which is important to establish the truth,' he said.

+5
    Sabotage: Russian astronaut Sergei Prokopyev showed the original 'drilled hole' during a video released by the space agency Roscosmos

Rogozin said the commission's main line of inquiry was that the hole had been drilled deliberately, a position that has been voiced in the past.

'Where it was made will be established by a second commission, which is at work now,' he said.

The small hole in the wall of a Russian-made Soyuz space capsule docked onto the ISS was located in August and quickly sealed up.

Officials have suggested a number of possible reasons for the appearance of the hole.

A top government official has denied a Russian media report that the investigation looked at the possibility that US astronauts had drilled the hole in order to get a sick colleague sent back to Earth.

The current ISS commander, US astronaut Drew Feustel, called the suggestion that the crew was somehow involved 'embarrassing'.

+5
    Sergei Prokopyev (pictured) explained on a video released by Roscosmos how the crew last week located and sealed the tiny hole that created a slight loss of pressure

Rogozin - who previously oversaw the space industry as deputy prime minister - was appointed head of Roskosmos last May, in a move analysts said would spell trouble for the embattled sector.

The official, who was placed under US sanctions over the Ukraine crisis in 2014, admitted it had become difficult to work with NASA.

'Problems with NASA have certainly appeared but not through the fault of NASA,' he said, blaming unnamed American officials for telling the US space agency what to do.

He also claimed that SpaceX founder Elon Musk sought to squeeze Russia out of the space launch services market and complained about the US military drone X-37.

+5
    The Soyuz MS-08 (pictured) left Earth on March 21 to transport three members of the Expedition 55 crew to the International Space Station

'Americans have this thing, the X-37,' Rogozin said. 'We don't understand its purposes. Rather, we do understand, but we have not received an official explanation.

'Essentially, this thing can be used as a weapons carrier.'

Initially it was thought the damage could have been caused by a micrometeorite piercing the spacecraft.

However, as the investigation went on it began to look like the hole was made from someone inside as opposed to outside, either back on Earth or in space, the Russian space agency claimed.

Another anonymous source said the whole was drilled by a worker who hid their mistake with a seal instead of reporting it.

+5
    Roscosmos director Dmitry Rogozin said that the hole could have been drilled during manufacturing or while in orbit

Rogozin said it was 'a matter of honour...to find whoever was guilty' of causing the spacecraft damage - and 'whether it was deliberate'.

The Russian media even speculated that a US astronaut might have sabotaged the spacecraft to delay a possible early return to earth due to alleged sickness of one member of the ISS crew.

But Russia now appears to be focusing on possible damages during the last stage of works or during its 90-day stay in the checkout stand ahead of transportation to the Baikonur launch site in Kazakhstan.

An industry source denied damage was possible before this - and it is thought unlikely to have been tampered with at Baikonur.

'When Soyuz MS-09 just arrived to the final assembly workshop, it was photographed in detail,' said the source.

'No hole and no signs of drilling… were found.'
    Right, lol, because the Russians are so trustworthy right now.

I'm surprised they waited until the bottom half of the article to accuse the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not asking you to participate in such a retarded game to begin with.
    I am merely pointing out that kettle is just as, if not more, black.

I have no actual data on the issue, therefore I won't argue though. Especially since there is no guarantee USA media representing it that way and you lot deflecting what I would say as "russain bias," or whatever crap they use these days.
    I fail to see what the point you are trying to make.

Are you asserting that the US is instead? Because either you are, in which case you should provide proof, or you're admitting that you brought up the US out of nowhere and to no particular end.
    Its called whataboutism.

He basically raises false equivalencies to change the subject AND to say no one has the right to criticize Russia because the US is not so perfect either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its called whataboutism.

He basically raises false equivalencies to change the subject AND to say no one has the right to criticize Russia because the US is not so perfect either.
    Oh I'm fully aware of that; that's why I was trying to hammer in that such actions don't actually make Russia any better.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Oh I'm fully aware of that; that's why I was trying to hammer in that such actions don't actually make Russia any better.
    Am not trying to whitewash Russia in this, mind.
    I am just generally intolerant of self-righteous USA people and their arrogance along with ignorance.
    Maybe I went on a little bit of a tangent there. My condolescences.

Are you asserting that the US is? Because either you are, in which case you should provide proof, or you're admitting that you brought that up out of nowhere.
    And, as I've said on the top of this page, and has been said by several others, that has been established weeks ago. Russia blaming NASA and the US is merely the Daily Mail reporting on a story peddled by one of russias media outlets of the same pisspoor quality as the daily mail itself. It is creating drama to rile up stupid people, and, again, it obviously worked pretty well, since the daily mail is reporting on it.

Russia, as in the Russian gouvernment, have denied claims that they are looking at the US astronauts for being respoinsible. The russian government seems to share the view of the ISS commander that this suggestion was embarassing.

Russia says that it has become difficult to work with NASA, something to be expected, one might think seeing, the tensions that are rising.

Rogozin's claim that SpaceX was founded to squeeze Russia out... well, one might interpret it that way, I think he's just trying tostir up some anti-US sentiment. All Gouvernments across the world do the exact same thing. As for the X-37, no idea why they bring that in, I assume Rogozin made these statements in a press conference that discussed several, sorry for the primitive term, space related questions, including the hole in the capsule, and the X-37. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure if Russia or China were testing some new space craft, officials in the US and other NATO countries would voice an opinion aswell. Of course, the Daily Mail tied it in to make him look like some raving maniac. (I don't know who he is, it might well be that he's a nutcase, but seeing how the Daily Mail uses to report, I'm going with the balance of probability and say they are putting what he said into the wrong context.)

Anyhow, I cannot see anything where Russia, in this case, conducted wrongly. If a NASA or ESA capsule was found with a leak, the exact same thing would happen. An investigation would be started, some scandal sheet of an asswipe would say 'Investigators look for russian/chinese sabotage', officials would deny that, and some time later, some russian asswipe of a newspaper would pick the story up and imply that NASA or ESA blame Russia, or at least tie in the baseless claims of some other asswipe of a newspaper that reported said made-up claims.

It's always the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am just generally intolerant of self-righteous USA people and their arrogance along with ignorance.
    I am not American.
    Even if I was. It does not make any difference.

You have no idea what my opinion on a hundred different things are.
    Yet you assumed and brought up all those nonsensical arguments.

To do what exactly if not diminish the criticism the Russians are due?