I remember when SC was first announced, everyone I knew was super excited for it. This is really it after 8 years?
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    I remember when SC was first announced, everyone I knew was super excited for it. This is really it after 8 years?
    Yep. Thousand dollar JPEGS of ships and a complete mess of a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    16-20k viewers on Twitch. Not even on the front page either.

Yeah they definitely Blizzard bois. They so could have charged for this!
    Actually it peaked at something like 45k. But it doesn't matter Henry Cavill posted the SQ42 teaser on his Instagram and it's almost at 600,000 views after a few hours. The upload on the SC Youtube channel over 250,000 after a few hours. It's becoming really apparent that most people have never even heard of the game, it's only starting to blow up now.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. Thousand dollar JPEGS of ships and a complete mess of a game.
    Did you even watch the stream? You seem to have missed the part where they walked into a store and bought a ship with in-game currency.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I pretty much said the exact same thing watching that presentation . . . . Im just going to come to the realization that my 75 bucks was for nothing. I feel bad for those who spent more than me.
    Ouch. Could of bought a decent finished game for that mate. Could probably even get 2 decent games on sale for that these days.

I feel for ya.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-10-11 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    The game didn't even enter proper production until around 2014 so it's more like 4-5 years. Two years with an actual AAA sized development team.

- - - Updated - - -

Ouch. Could of bought a decent finished game for that mate. Could probably even get 2 decent games on sale for that these days.

I feel for ya.
    You didn't even watch the stream lol. You probably never watched the SQ42 teaser either.
    Last edited by CogsNCocks; 2018-10-11 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CogsNCocks View Post
    The game didn't even enter proper production until around 2014 so it's more like 4-5 years. Two years with an actual AAA sized development team.
    Stop making excuses for them, they have had a massive budget, other games companies could have churned out at least one AAA game in that time with that sort of money.

The game was in development and at a stage where they could show off gameplay footage in 2012, see the opening post on this thread.

And all they have for this time round? face over IP, some enemy AI and more ships (though the seemed to be making a bigger deal out of FoIP than anything else)

I swear this gets less and less every time you post it.

But hey, remember how Chris said SQ42 would release during 2017 in jan 2017?
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    Stop making excuses for them, they have had a massive budget, other games companies could have churned out at least one AAA game in that time with that sort of money.
    Yes, but they didn't begin with the massive budget did they? They also began the company in the backroom of Chris's house, they didn't begin with five studios and hundreds of employees on day 1.

The game was in development and at a stage where they could show off gameplay footage in 2012, see the opening post on this thread.
    What you mean the footage they made with Crytek as a proof of concept? It was a few assets thrown into a 32bit Cryengine map.

And all they have for this time round? face over IP, some enemy AI and more ships (though the seemed to be making a bigger deal out of FoIP than anything else)
    Oh cmon now you forgot about the massive city and the atmospheric planet of Hurston that's going to be in our hands very soon. Are there any other games that will let met fly around in space and land on a planet and visit a city like that? Um nope Best city in a MMO ever

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I swear this gets less and less every time you post it.
    Nope, it's pretty consistent with my previous posts. You should be pulling up the idiots claiming 8 years of development if you want to do something useful with your time.

But hey, remember how Chris said SQ42 would release during 2017 in jan 2017?

They can take however long they want as far as I'm concerned as long as they keep showing good progress. The progress they have made this year has been more than good and you can see production output really accelerate now. I mean look at the production quality between the SQ42 vertical slice from December and the new teaser trailer. A massive difference!!! The imagery is the best quality we've ever seen in a game and yet you people still moan.
    Last edited by CogsNCocks; 2018-10-11 at 10:25 PM.

SC has always been good at making pretty pictures so imagery doesn't mean shit to me.
    Making a fun good game, that's something else.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post

Eh it's what he does mate. Best to just ignore it. Saves you a good chunk of time at the end of the day.

The project is a complete and utter disaster of mismanagement. And a few known celebrity faces aren't going to save it.

I mean I love Mark Hamill but he ain't saving this trainwreck of a project.

SC has always been good at making pretty pictures so imagery doesn't mean shit to me.
    Wasn't just pretty imagery though was it? I mean those massive capital ships are 100% realised ships that will be explorable and flyable by players. Most other games you would just look at them and say "yeah that looks nice" and go on with your day. You're going to have a tough time trying to convince me that I'm not going to have fun with those ships and that they don't have incredible potential to make some awesome gameplay!!

Pretty much. As I said to @Beazy for the cost he spent on this he prob could have got 2 decent games that were actually finished and had some love put into them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Oh shit, I never heard about any video gaming company starting like that before… oh wait.

Jesus fuck dude… no company starts with 5 studios and hundreds of cash from day one mate, the difference is, most of those companies start small and build themselves up, they don’t start with big ass fucking projects that relies on some sort of twisted donations.
    This.

Any big company today started with smaller projects rather than throwing all their eggs in one basket. Lot of companies today wouldn't be where they are today without those smaller projects.

Blizzard started with RPM Racing, Rock and Roll Racing, The Lost Vikings, Blackthorne and a few ports of other games.

Square actually had a bunch of small games like Cruise Chaser Blaasty before Final Fantasy. If anything part of the reason it exists is due to Dragon Quest made by Enix back then.

And look at those 2 comapnies now. Two of the biggest and well known in the gaming industry. Despite Blizzard ironically consisting of like 7 games 2 of which are based on their already existing universes.

And look at CiG with all that monies. Known for delaying and mismanaging a project into hell and that stigma is going to stick with them for a good amount of time.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-10-11 at 10:44 PM.

Eh it's what he does mate. Best to just ignore it. Saves you a good chunk of time at the end of the day.
    Yes ignoring it saves you from having to to deal with this false reality of nonsense you've woven for yourself. I mean you outed yourself as having not even watched the stream but you comment on it anyway. What kind of bullshit is that?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh shit, I never heard about any video gaming company starting like that before… oh wait.

Jesus fuck dude… no company starts with 5 studios and hundreds of cash from day one mate, the difference is, most of those companies start small and build themselves up, they don’t start with big ass fucking projects that relies on some sort of twisted donations.
    So what? CIG are allowed to do it differently.

Twisted donations. What? lol Why do I get the feeling you swing to the hard left on the political spectrum? Always be so triggered when others are making money like it's a sin or something lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much. As I said to @Beazy for the cost he spent on this he prob could have got 2 decent games that were actually finished and had some love put into them.

- - - Updated - - -
    Are you 12 and still living on parents allowance? Get a good job man and then you won't worry so much about silly things.

This.

Any big company today started with smaller projects rather than throwing all their eggs in one basket. Lot of companies today wouldn't be where they are today without those smaller projects.

Blizzard started with RPM Racing, Rock and Roll Racing, The Lost Vikings, Blackthorne and a few ports of other games.

Square actually had a bunch of small games like Cruise Chaser Blaasty before Final Fantasy. If anything part of the reason it exists is due to Dragon Quest made by Enix back then.

And look at those 2 comapnies now. Two of the biggest and well known in the gaming industry. Despite Blizzard ironically consisting of like 7 games 2 of which are based on their already existing universes.

And look at CiG with all that monies. Known for delaying and mismanaging a project into hell and that stigma is going to stick with them for a good amount of time.
    Lorville, Hurston is better than Stormwind Lorville the new king of MMO cities!!!
    Last edited by CogsNCocks; 2018-10-11 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iseeyou View Post
    I was not interested at all into SQ42...but the casting dude.

Having both Mark Hamill and Gary Oldman is mindblowing
    Wonder who had the idea of making Mark Strong use an American accent?

10+ Year Old Account
    I see lots of people complaining about "They have X money". You cant just throw money at something and make it work.

That said, given the scope of the project... I'm not surprised. I'm also still excited. I recently got gifted a Mercury Star Runner for my birthday and I can't wait to run it. They've made expectations quite clear, I'm not sure why people are so bent out of shape. They've done an impressive job of setting roadmaps and what to expect.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    They've done an impressive job of setting roadmaps and what to expect.
    Roadmaps that they fail to meet? Deadlines they set that they breeze past and change them on a whim? I mean there is a reason they have such a bad reputation, they don't know what the fuck they are doing and let things creep way out of control with bloat.

So, don’t bring that kind of shit up as if it somehow made them special.

If I honestly told you why you get such a feeling I would most likely get infracted for it.

Just as you might be for bringing up politics up in order to avoid the point while attempting to get under my skin.

Wow lol.

1. You show obvious contempt for the free market and personal liberties and responsibilities which gives it away. CIG aren't doing anything illegal to raise funds and have an excellent business rating with relevant authorities. You have a very twisted idea of who it is funding this game, buying into an idea that somehow CIG is preying on people which is nonsense. "Twisted donations" lol. I know a couple of the really big spenders ($40,000+ spent) and both of them are millionaires who are massive fans of the old Wing Commander games. Why you should be concerned about what these people spend their money on is beyond me.

2. You didn't make a point. "Twisted donations". lol.

3. Even if CIG were making a game only for really wealthy people (they aren't by the way), there would be nothing wrong with that at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Roadmaps that they fail to meet? Deadlines they set that they breeze past and change them on a whim? I mean there is a reason they have such a bad reputation, they don't know what the fuck they are doing and let things creep way out of control with bloat.
    That's pretty easy to say, not being a developer. Deadlines get missed constantly, anywhere. They've provided more transparency than almost any design project I've ever seen before.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

But it doesn't matter Henry Cavill posted the SQ42 teaser on his Instagram and it's almost at 600,000 views after a few hours.
    Yeah...because he was hired to be a part of the game just like Mark Hamill, social promotion is usually a pretty standard part of contracts like this so it's not as if he's just randomly interested.

Though I do wonder why CIG continue to hire big name actors who are likely far, far more expensive than the amazingly talented and less expensive voice actors who rely on this kind of work as they don't get big screen gigs.

I don’t. That’s just how you chose to interpret it. It’s not my fucking problem.

Also, stop attempting to defend the project against claims that I didn’t even make, your just wasting time.

…and, yes, “twisted donations” as in, a donation system that presents itself as an online store, where people can pay for inexistent products yet aren’t really owed shit. I’m sorry if the term doesn’t please you, I’ll try to come up with something fancier the next time, no need to get so fixated on it.
    Luckily we already have word for your bizarre usage of "twisted donation" and your given definition in the English language. It's called a "pledge", not quite as colourful as your language but whatever.