Thread: Changes

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    So what's the changes are between classic demo and vanilla? Except obvious ones like graphics, battle.net and options frame. I'm watching stream and so far it looks pretty authentic to my eyes. The huge one is phasing (or sharding), according to the streamer that I saw (and it's obvious actually, not a lot of players are running around in the stream, there should be hundreds at least).
    Considering limited equipment and game time, I think the phasing is put in due to unknown status of the servers.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    Sharding and/or dynamic respawns will 100% be a thing, simply because of the launch. If you stick to "classic" servers, you either launch with a lot of server and watch some of them die, or launch with too few and watch people queue for some mobs for hours. So they'll totally add dynamic instances of zones.
    I'm all for dynamic respawns. It's 100% needed. Another fact that makes people like Alexsensual a total hypocrite.

The way the demo is setup is that they have loads of servers. I can understand why sharding is in the demo, since everyone is in one of two zones. It will be more spread out in launch.

I also want lots of servers like it was, with the option of free transfers later on (yes, slight wish for "free"). I also understand this will be difficult because Classic will have loads of hype at the beginning with many quitting and servers being empty. So in a way, I understand the choice of sharding. If they plan to merge/offer free transfers, then people will lose their name.

Private servers handle 10-12k people just fine with no sharding.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Hyrja View Post
    Its all just an illusion guys, were not actually playing vanilla wow! were playing Legion!

......no. That's not true! That's IMPOSSIBLE!

"After weeks of R&D, experimentation, and prototyping, we were confident we could deliver the classic WoW content and gameplay without sacrificing the literally millions of hours put in to back-end development over the past 13 years."

NNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!! Noo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Considering limited equipment and game time, I think the phasing is put in due to unknown status of the servers.
    The same argument could be made about release. Surely there would be thousands if not hundreds of thousands of players. I don't see why they wouldn't enable phasing for release, at least for first weeks. The alternative is terrible gameplay (queues, immense competition for quests).

Relax! It's just alpha beta launch the demo!

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    You have no idea what you're talking about. A vanilla server back in the day had a cap of 2.5k people playing. Current private servers launch with 15k+ people playing at the same time.

It's very playable.
    I know exactly what I'm talking about, you think modern servers don't have thousands of people playing at the same time? That's not what I said. I said same phase, not same server.

If you think the game is gonna be stable with 5k people (probably way more, given popularity at launch) trying to kill the same mob in the same spot you are literally delusional.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Private servers handle 10-12k people just fine with no sharding.
    Well, having only 1 server is as simple as it gets. However, I don't know how they manage dynamic respawns, although I'm sure they can tweak that.
    And the "let's release a lot of servers and then merge" is a recipe for bad publicity imo. It was simpler in 2004 because new players came gradually
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roar-Powah View Post
    Phasing is used for quest lines that change the zone around you. Think like when you do something like the Garrison quest line in Warlords.

Sharding is use to create new instances of the zones you're in when the zone player limits are hit. You can also get Cross realm shards that do the same thing ( War mode in BfA does this).

People are calling it phasing when they should be saying they got transferred to a new shard.
    Sharding is turning blue items into enchanting shards

Oh I can't wait to see Alexensual make another psycho rant about classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthat View Post
    Relax! It's just alpha beta launch the demo!
    I got a better idea. Wait until tomorrow for the Q & A. After that, if y'all still aren't happy, then your shit-stained panties can proceed to be bunched. Hell, might be mine too. Till then.......just relaaaax. It's all good man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    I know exactly what I'm talking about, you think modern servers don't have thousands of people playing at the same time? That's not what I said. I said same phase, not same server.

If you think the game is gonna be stable with 5k people (probably way more, given popularity at launch) trying to kill the same mob in the same spot you are literally delusional.
    5k is fine when 4k are level 60 and doing stuff inside instances and 1k is distributed by levels and zones, so there's more like 30-50 players for the entire zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    Well, having only 1 server is as simple as it gets. However, I don't know how they manage dynamic respawns, although I'm sure they can tweak that.
    And the "let's release a lot of servers and then merge" is a recipe for bad publicity imo. It was simpler in 2004 because new players came gradually
    If lots of people are in a area, mobs spawn faster, if it's not that busy, they spawn slower.

If they do launch with many servers, they will not say they plan to merge later, they'll just do it when needed. I did say I do understand if they don't choose that route, it will cause a shitstorm though.

Meh. I'm thoroughly enjoying the demo at this point, and don't have anything really to complain about.
    Keep moving forward. - Walt Disney

5k is fine when 4k are level 60 and doing stuff inside instances and 1k is distributed by levels and zones, so there's more like 30-50 players for the entire zone.
    Yeah that's perfect, but again that's not what I said. I'm talking about phasing being required at launch and for some time after when you have those 5k people all in the same spot in the same zone trying to do the same quest to progress. You didn't exactly have a great deal of choice in Classic compared to modern WoW where you have many different approaches to levelling and yet phasing is still required today.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

10+ Year Old Account
    The same argument could be made about release. Surely there would be thousands if not hundreds of thousands of players. I don't see why they wouldn't enable phasing for release, at least for first weeks. The alternative is terrible gameplay (queues, immense competition for quests).
    Honestly, we know NOTHING about demo, other than it is demo, it is limited, it isn't region divided. Nothing more. We could pretend that Dalaran was soaring above and none of us would be able to settle it before it is launched.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    Yeah that's perfect, but again that's not what I said. I'm talking about phasing being required at launch and for some time after when you have those 5k people all in the same spot in the same zone trying to do the same quest to progress. You didn't exactly have a great deal of choice in Classic compared to modern WoW where you have many different approaches to levelling and yet phasing is still required today.
    I agree, it would be crazy to let everyone play without phasing or queuing. I would choose queuing, because I'm all for authentic experience, but I'm not going to play at first weeks, it'll be too crazy for my taste, so whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I managed to get in, my /who 10-20 was 99.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Sorry bud, no-one, not a SINGLE person who wanted an authentic classic wanted any sort of the shit that they put in. Not a single person wanted 75% of current features, but a level cap of 60, which is exactly what I’ve read so far.
    How can you be certain of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    How can you be certain of that?
    Because it completely contradicts the authenticity.

Deleted
    GL playing for the first month if phasing is not in the game at that moment.