Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Strand NE View Post
    I think some may be over-estimating the instability of the vanilla servers. I can think of only one occasion where the server crashed, and that was during the gate opening. That was just poor planning on Blizzards part. Others may have experienced different, but for the most part I had never seen it on a server that was pretty high population at the time.
    Death and Taxes and Drama both left Shattered Hand because the server was so unstable. Some of the servers could be extremely bad. I was always told Shattered Hand was so bad because it was one of the original beta servers, but being I wasn't around right at launch I'm not sure how true that was.

Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    with the changes they announced, its already DoA. private servers now once again offer a better classic experience.
    I think you are getting confused. No one can offer a Classic experience until Blizzard releases it. You want to play vanilla wow. Blizzard is not releasing vanilla again. They are offering a similar experience with the aim of using today's tech to prevent the bad experience from days gone by. No one is outright admitting it because they like to be on the sharding is bad bandwagon, but if there were massive queues to get in and massive queues for mobs ( otherwise known as the WoD experience), Classic would be a failure. For those 7 people that wanted vanilla, too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Did this guy not watch the classic panel at blizzcon lol?

We arent getting any real changes aside from the technical ones that were inherent in porting a 12 year old client to modern infrastructure.
    You do realise a part of the #nochanges crowd was against any form of change, graphical or other

didnt they say sharding was for demo only ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Why are vanilla fans so damn unreasonable? -_-" Why are they still talking about LFR? Everyone and his mother knows that it won't be in the game.

With the announcement of WC:R, the reactions and comments from WC3 community are pretty constructive in general. Even the most purist of WC3 fans are not this stupid.
    Rabid zealots, born out of a siege mentality, are never reasonable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shisui-kun View Post
    Sharding in a nutshell would be that if your zone is overpopulated, it would split your realm into multiple clusters. Example:

Server population: 5000
    Dun Morogh: 1000
    Elwynn Forest: 1000
    Durotar: 1000
    Tirisfal Glades: 1000
    Mulgore: 500
    Teldrassil: 500

If for example Blizzard sets the sharding to 100 people for every cluster, you would instead get:

Dun Morogh: 10 shards of 100
    Elwynn Forest: 10 shards of 100
    Durotar: 10 shards of 100
    Tirisfal Glades: 10 shards of 100
    Mulgore: 5 shards of 100
    Teldrassil: 5 shards of 100

You still have the same amount of people on the server, just spread across copies of the same zone. If sharding phases out the higher level you go, you could for example see things like this happen:
    Without sharding it would be

Dun Morogh: 100
    Elwynn Forest: 100
    Durotar: 100
    Tirisfal Glades: 100
    Mulgore: 100
    Teldrassil: 100

Waiting in queue: 4400

You still have the same amount of people on the server, just spread across the zones and the queue.

Without sharding and without queue it would be

Dun Morogh: 0
    Elwynn Forest: 0
    Durotar: 0
    Tirisfal Glades: 0
    Mulgore: 0
    Teldrassil: 0

Server down, try again in a few weeks when enough people have given up on trying to log into the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    I can go to Org right now - and see zero people with the little *
    I log into Stormwind every day on my auction character, and I'd be lucky to see one other person from my realm, yet the AH is full of players from other realms.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Many private server players weren't really planning to play Classic and used #NoChanges more like a threat and a legitimate excuse to stay on private servers which was what they wanted to do in the first place. These people hate Blizzard with a passion and don't want anything to do with them. They want a Blizzard endorsed Nostalrius private server, nothing else will be good enough.
    Even Nostalrius has tons of non-vanilla adaptations...
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    So I might be running around in the same area unable to see "everyone". But everyone that I do see, will be from my own server? If so, I don't care at all.
    Exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Everyone seems to be making one quite large assumption here - that classic will attract the sort of numbers that make queues an issue. There is a very realistic 3rd possibility that numbers are low enough that sharding never even gets turned on.
    They needed sharding for the demo and only people dumb enough to pay for adds got to play classic.

The launch will be epic and despite all the "oh its gonna fail" every single nay sayer is going to login to classic at launch too they're just lying to themselves.

I'm not just stupid enough to think everyone is going to stick around after a couple of days or even hours.
    Most people will be upset at how much harder the content is and just up and leave go back to easy rewards until a lull in the main game then they'll think "oh i have an hour..." and will do something in classic.

And THAT IS OKAY.
    Not everyone needs to rush to 60, only 5-10% of the population will push back jobs and school in order to grind to 60 asap, most people will take their time and raids wont start right away unless they are led by people like Asmongold who pulls together every 60 at cap when he reaches it (or the following week)
    Most bosses need dungeon farmed for items and gold farmed for pots etc etc, by time the more average playerbase catch up after the first couple of months most of the rushed to 60 players will be settling into a routine or farming gold, as there likely wont be a massive market for anything until the playerbase catches up it'll be up to players to craft their own items saving most the materials they find making lots of bank alts to store stuff.

I suspect at first items will be traded, some enchants for some materials or gear the other person made because gold will be harder to come by, even chinese gold farmers require a market of lots of players to sell their goods to in order to make money.

so no classic will be SLOW GOING for months and that is okay.
    Sharding will be required for the opening days at least in the starting zones but beyond that i doubt it.
    By then most the serious levelers will be heading for higher levels and the less so stuck in lower zones with larger populations.

But the same group of "nothing is ever wrong with wow stop talking bad about it" are the same saying classic will fail, Lol.
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

#NoChanges is just a woken dream. Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    Even Nostalrius has tons of non-vanilla adaptations...
    Yeah but the pirate server players want those, that's where the hypocrisy comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Yeah but the pirate server players want those, that's where the hypocrisy comes in.
    well that’s the problem with any attempt to make Classic WoW, whatever Blizzard does they’ll end up with millions of unhappy people...
    I honestly think a brand new mmo with the vanilla structure but modern class, raid and pvp design/balance would be a lot better recieved. Meaning no flying, no queue systems (lfr/lfd/lfg), no cross realm, no realm transfer, no transmog and so on.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    well that’s the problem with any attempt to make Classic WoW, whatever Blizzard does they’ll end up with millions of unhappy people...
    Millions? Haha, no, a few hundred at most.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    nothing happend. like every internet stupid shitstorm it got blown out of proportion and died out after few weeks

who cares in the end . after trying out beta out of my friend account after 10 minutes i was bored and i didnt have fun at all - it only reasured me that classic will be as shitty as vanilla was.

the age of game is showing sooo badly that it hurts .

im not trolling but honestly i bet that 80% of people who will start playing will quit by the time they will hit 40 and 95% of people will never reach 60 due to how dull , boring and slow gameplay is.

yes it will be overhyped when it launched but then it will be abandoned.

i really hope that blizzard will be setting servers while already having teach for their merges ready on standby . even beta was a failure because so few people tried it out that they removed limitations on 2nd day . and classic will be dead 2 weeks after launch when people will get bored with leveling in there and will go back to farming gear on alts in retail.
    No. People who are interested in classic don't have such horrible taste in gaming like you. You don't even know what RPGs or MMORPGs are about. You simply got sucked in because blizzard is trying to attract all kind of players who are not even into RPGs
    Go play Fortnite or some other action game for stupid zoomers or better, kys.

Quote Originally Posted by mich4el View Post
    No. People who are interested in classic don't have such horrible taste in gaming like you. You don't even know what RPGs or MMORPGs are about. You simply got sucked in because blizzard is trying to attract all kind of players who are not even into RPGs
    Go play Fortnite or some other action game for stupid zoomers or better, kys.
    Imagine being THIS toxic about a video game.

Jesus Christ go outside.

OT: I think it's because Blizzard has given their stance already. Blizzard has lost a lot of what made them respected, sadly. And I agree with that sentiment, I genuinely dislike where their franchises are going. However, the fact is we don't know much about Classic besides what Blizz has promised and what we have been shown. We know a bit, but not enough to 100% say.

Won't stop the toxicity and idiocy of both sides though. Just look at the guy I'm quoting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Uhh.. what? How is it detrimental the whole the friendship building experience? Every person you see is on your server. Sharding. IS NOT. CRZ. How are they going to be NPCs? Theyre ALL FROM YOUR SERVER.

Do you even understand the differences between Sharding, CRZ, and Phasing? Because so far it seems like 99% of people complaining about Sharding are confusing it with CRZ and assuming that the people they meet will just be random people from every server and not worth talking to.. which is not how sharding works. At all.
    We are not confusing CRZ with sharding, you're just not understanding why some of us do not like the idea. The problem is you won't be meeting everyone if sharding is used.
    CPU: Intel i9-14900k | MOBO: ASUS RoG Strix Z790-F
    GPU: ASUS Strix 4070 TI Super | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED DDR5 32GB
    SSD: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1TBx3 | PSU: Corsair HX 1200i Platinum | CASE: Lian Li 011 EVO
    DISPLAY: Triple 27" Monitors | ASUS Swift ROG PG2780 27" 1440p - 2x BenQ 27" IPS 1440p

We are not confusing CRZ with sharding, you're just not understanding why some of us do not like the idea. The problem is you won't be meeting everyone if sharding is used.
    The important question imo really is, if that's limited to the several opening areas, and limited in time, and if ppl in a group end up in the same shard, why is that even a damn problem!?

Sharding is not about game design, its a technical feature to help handle load, wich becomes even more relevant in classic where you surely know that objects have a real long respawn compared to today, and this in itself isnt a problem, but on a server launch, if 1k ppl have to compete for a object that's on a 2m + respawn it's completly illogical to me that you wouldnt want sharding limited to the situations i mentioned...
    Last edited by voidillusion; 2018-11-13 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    The important question imo really is, if that's limited to the several opening areas, and limited in time, and if ppl in a group end up in the same shard, why is that even a damn problem!?
    In addition, all the global chats are still global, and you can still communicate with everybody in the zone through the zone chat channel. The only form of communication that's not available to everybody in the zone is /s and /y.

And /me, I suppose. :P
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post

Sharding is not about game design, its a technical feature to help handle load, wich becomes even more relevant in classic where you surely know that objects have a real long respawn compared to today, and this in itself isnt a problem, but on a server launch, if 1k ppl have to compete for a object that's on a 2m + respawn it's completly illogical to me that you wouldnt want sharding limited to the situations i mentioned...
    That is part of the reason I don't want it. Sure it might be a pain in the ass to wait 10 minutes or more to tag a mob, but that was part of vanilla. You take the bad with the good.

Sharding shouldn't even be an option at launch given most people here are comparing 14+ year old tech to todays hardware and bandwidth.
    CPU: Intel i9-14900k | MOBO: ASUS RoG Strix Z790-F
    GPU: ASUS Strix 4070 TI Super | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED DDR5 32GB
    SSD: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1TBx3 | PSU: Corsair HX 1200i Platinum | CASE: Lian Li 011 EVO
    DISPLAY: Triple 27" Monitors | ASUS Swift ROG PG2780 27" 1440p - 2x BenQ 27" IPS 1440p

That is part of the reason I don't want it. Sure it might be a pain in the ass to wait 10 minutes or more to tag a mob, but that was part of vanilla. You take the bad with the good.

Sharding shouldn't even be an option at launch given most people here are comparing 14+ year old tech to todays hardware and bandwidth.
    It's going to be so you might as well face that fact now. Blizzard may understand how important community is in Vanilla, but they are not going to let that trump stability and playability.

Blizzard knows what its servers and infrastructure can handle at this point.

Honestly I am looking forward more and more to Classic, I love live too but Classic has a huge advantage over Live, it is slower, much much slower paced which is great for people who love to smoke weed. Like parking at a dungeon it sometimes could take anywhere from 20-30 minutes to get a full group and that is a good amount of smoking and munchies time.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as it is dynamic sharding it will work great, if it only happens when there are no mobs left for a quest you are working on. That would make it happen less often and be less intrusive.