Poll: "Summon plz" or "omw"?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Guess you haven't played since launch. I haven't seen the overwhlemingly amount of people asking for summons since... at the very least, Cataclysm.
    it's more to do with how the game works and not the people playing it, which would make sense if you thought about it.

obviously the amount of people expecting to be summoned is going to increase if you put in an automatic system that does it.

whenever there were warlocks in your group in vanilla you also got "summon" typed all the time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    If someone types "1" without moving or asking for a summon, I'll usually just kick em. Just comes off as entitlement to me.
    I should start doing that. It'd be fucking hilarious.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    I kick people who ask for summons right away.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Why do people carp on this stereotype like people haven't been like this since the day Warlocks got summons? Even back in 2007, I have clear memories of the long-ass flights and runs from IF to Scarlet Monastery, and being the only one at the meeting stone while four lazyasses spammed "Summon pls" (because apparently counting is hard).

It's got nothing to do with "instant gratification generation" and everything to do with people just being sucky people. Being sucky is the unifying aspect that crosses all generations and nations.
    Oh, I apologize if I didn't say it specifically enough, but in case it needs to be said, *of course* not everyone in the generation is like this. You can't tell me that people's respect for others time hasn't gone downhill drastically? Shit you used to try being nice and telling people their gems could be X instead of Y, or their talents should be X and you would get told "I pay for my game, thanks". Like what in the fuck? Sorry for trying to help you do better.

I don't even start looking for a group until I am where the group should be. If I need a summons it's because I had to leave to do something for the group and need to get back, and even that is rare. My outlook is that if you need a summons to get to the group you should have already been there.

Mental note..you can't check the roster before joining the group.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zaramas View Post
    I don't even start looking for a group until I am where the group should be. If I need a summons it's because I had to leave to do something for the group and need to get back, and even that is rare. My outlook is that if you need a summons to get to the group you should have already been there.
    Me too. Either at the spot or in the same zone.

I am either at the dungeon I sign up for or on my way while waiting for people to decide if they want to accept me, either way I don't join a group and immediately ask for a summon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, I apologize if I didn't say it specifically enough, but in case it needs to be said, *of course* not everyone in the generation is like this. You can't tell me that people's respect for others time hasn't gone downhill drastically? Shit you used to try being nice and telling people their gems could be X instead of Y, or their talents should be X and you would get told "I pay for my game, thanks". Like what in the fuck? Sorry for trying to help you do better.
    Again, I've seen that in droves for the past 11 years (give or take; after a while they start to blend together). There's no magical generation gap at work here, most of it's one part confirmation bias, one part exposure to a wider audience through cross-realm tools.

This is the game where people threw tantrums en masse because time limits were added to BGs to cut down on hours-long GY camps from premades, where an ingame funeral was turned into a gankfest because someone figured it'd make a funny video, and raid groups had to devise point systems because people were all too willing to fuck each other over for a single item. Yes, I can tell you peoples' respect for others' time hasn't gone downhill dramatically, because that respect was never there outside friend groups/guilds. People make an effort to be nicer on Classic servers because they're consciously trying to fix a broken community, but people back then were just as shitty to one another as they are today. There's just a bigger pool of people to encounter so the illusion's gone.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I'm only 33, the shit that this world has turned into is crazy. 15 years ago, the current "bullying" was simply called being picked on, and nothing was ever done about it or thought about it. Kids would get beat up every so often and nothing, nowadays it's totally different.

Shit, kids didn't kill themselves over the stupidest of shit they do nowadays.

People didn't go apeshit over guns like they do now.

Sorry, but it *is* the generation.
    well okay let's break this down.

1. you're actually complaining about beating up kids being taken seriously, and not completely ignored, seriously?
    2. the good old "15 years ago everything was better", I'm sure southerners also said that in 1880 , no the world didnt "go crazy" in the last 15 years, the only thing that's changed, is that now it's much easier for it to be seen it thanks to the internet.
    3. stupid kids still killed themselves daily, just... again, the internet wasnt that big so you didnt notice it.
    4. even if it is this generation, your generation raised it

also, news flash, there isnt a magical fairy in the world that comes down from heaven and blesses you with the powers of non entitlement on your 30th birthday. so your arbitrary cutoff is just flat out stupid.

humans have been, are and will always be self entitled, egotistical morons. it's not a new thing. you're just noticing it.

go ask a 50 year old what he thinks of your(and mine really, since im only 5 years younger than you) generation for reference.

the only thing that's changed, is that you got older, that's it.
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2018-11-21 at 12:22 AM.

I usually ask if summons available before I head over or ask for a summon

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Mental note..you can't check the roster before joining the group.
    Yeah and you can't type to the group before joining either. You join, look at the roster, then respond accordingly. I can't stand people that join and immediately ask for a summon, such laziness.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who plays with warmode on, 99% of the time I say “Hey, I’m in war mode, summon please if you can.” I also start running. A majority of the time I get summoned before I can make it to the dungeon. On the off chance I get there first and another player is also in warmode I then summon the remaining party members. Summoning stones and warlocks exist for a reason.
    Classes/Specs: Retribution Paladin, Outlaw Rogue, Frost Mage, Destruction Warlock.

Vanilla veteran of both factions since '04. Former high end player, now casually playing simply to keep up with the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    well okay let's break this down.

1. you're actually complaining about beating up kids being taken seriously, and not completely ignored, seriously?
    2. the good old "15 years ago everything was better", I'm sure southerners also said that in 1880 , no the world didnt "go crazy" in the last 15 years, the only thing that's changed, is that now it's much easier for it see it thanks to the internet.
    3. stupid kids still killed themselves daily, just... again, the internet wasnt that big so you didnt notice it.
    4. even if it is this generation, your generation raised it

also, news flash, there isnt a magical fairy in the world that comes down from heaven and blesses you with the powers of non entitlement on your 30th birthday. so your arbitrary cutoff is just flat out stupid.

humans have been, are and will always be self entitled, egotistical morons. it's not a new thing. you're just noticing it.

go ask a 50 year old what he thinks of your generation for reference.

the only thing that's changed, is that you got older, that's it.
    Everything I mentioned has zero to do with the information of the internet. Local/National news was still around "back then". You seriously can not be telling me things did not go from "harmless picked on" to everything being considering "bullying" nowadays? You seriously can not be telling me kids killed themselves (in terms of quantity, not that they didn't actually do it) over the silliest of shit like they do nowadays?

I mean, honestly if you think everything I said is false, well, there's nothing else to discuss since we'd never come to an agreement on *anything*.

Depends on the situation.

If the group just formed and others are running/flying there I will too. I hate people who sit on their asses, watch others get to the instance, and then ask for a summon.

If the group is already formed and in the instance WITH a lock I will ask for a summon.

If the group is already formed and in the instance WITHOUT a lock I will start running there and hope for a summon.

Everything I mentioned has zero to do with the information of the internet. Local/National news was still around "back then". You seriously can not be telling me things did not go from "harmless picked on" to everything being considering "bullying" nowadays? You seriously can not be telling me kids killed themselves (in terms of quantity, not that they didn't actually do it) over the silliest of shit like they do nowadays?

I mean, honestly if you think everything I said is false, well, there's nothing else to discuss since we'd never come to an agreement on *anything*.
    again, even if all of what you say is true (which it isnt, just for the sake of argument)

it's your generation that raised them.

there's a reason the sentence "back in my day" is a cliché.

because every single fucking generation feelsl ike the one after it is the worst thing ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsoldier06 View Post
    How is it better for the group?
    Yup. I wonder about that myself.

I personally often just ask if a summon is possible, even if I plan on going wherever myself. It's more or less a bit of a litmus test for the group. If there are a bunch of people at the raid already, or worse if there is a warlock, yet no one goes to port, then that is not a good sign. It just means that whenever someone has to be replaced there will be lots of waiting for the refill etc, which is annoying.

Toward the end of Legion, as a geared tank, I threw a carry group for dungeon WQ in queue. I was capable of soloing it (not because skills, just gear) but figured why not let others tag along? I put in group description "No summons, I will be inside clearing to WQ just get here when you can." Three players joined and left because I wouldn't run back out to summon them. One showed up, and we 2-manned np.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

If I join and see that summons are being offered I just ask for a summon. If not, I'd type "omw".

I say hello first
    If anyone responses with "summon", my friend kicks them.

If I'm joining a pug, I never ask for a summon.
    I say hello, and if they want me there faster theyll summon if they can, otherwise I'll head there.