Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Name a country less racist than the US.

Sweden is more racist than the US, it's also like 90% white.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    3 years for every year those they framed were in prison sounds more fitting.
    From what I read the framed victims were only charged and arrested. I imagine if they had faced real time it would be included, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    As would we, but the other poster seems to be unwilling to back up the initial claim.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.cc6ce905923a

That was all I could find, and it doesn't seem very conclusive to me.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...pgiZlpeIluTcxu

I have yet to read the full study.
    Yeah, the post article is about all I could find and that is based merely on a question of who wouldn't you want to live next to you or something like that. Really, proving who is or isn't the least tolerant country isn't a metric that will be easy to find or monitor. I can't even find one that says the US is the least racist place to live, and the US is so diverse I wouldn't say living in NYC, LA, Portland, Memphis, Little Rock, Dallas, or Jackson would be anywhere near the same result either.

It is a poorly devised statement to block out the claim of systematic racism, which is really just a way of looking at socioeconomic disparity. Basically, the life you are born into dictates a lot of your success. Can you break this cycle yes, but it is a dramatic uphill climb, with a lot of dashes of luck, genetic lottery, and hard work. Your socioeconcomic status is a major limiter on you and if no one is doing anything for your community your likelihood of escape is rather limited. Do those at the top want to stay there and do everything in their power to keep things skewed toward them...yes.

Happens in the middle class as well. Smart kid, good looking, father owns a insurance company, kid goes out tries to make his own way it doesn't pan out, returns home works for father takes over fathers business. Happens a shit ton. It is the reason why most people don't climb beyond where they are born or fall too far from it either. Take Trump despite is best efforts to fail he fell upwards time and again. Mostly by being a rich guy known for being rich and telling people how rich he is and how knowing him will make you rich. Not a dig, just a reality. With what he was born into he should have really done a lot better. This isn't to say you can't forward move, but your chances of true escape from what you are born into is minimal. Giant moves just aren't made all that often in a single lifetime. For every Thomas Sowell there is 100 million Joe Blows.
    Last edited by Zoldor; 2018-11-28 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotia View Post

Let's flip this around.

Name a country more racist than the USA. Having more white people does not racism make lol

I was wondering why he would frame people into prison then I read he only framed criminals.

Ah, the internet ... the best place for complete idiots to find people willing to argue with them.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    I was wondering why he would frame people into prison then I read he only framed criminals.
    And it is like any other job the better your arrest record the quicker you advance, the more money you make. More stops that lead to arrest makes your department look better etc. Funding can increase blah blah blah. There is a lot of political back end and business back end to the police side. How else does one get to chief and not be prepared. If your crime rate is high and the arrest rate is low you can be fired. That kind of stuff.

It's the only multi-racial country.
    You just proved your literally don't know what racism means.

- - - Updated - - -

Name a cancer less deadly than thyroid cancer.

Do you think it'd be ok to have thyroid cancer?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    One police chief in a village of 3000 people = systemic racism.

There were 2 or 3 other officers involved. Yes, who were suspicious of their C.O's orders and fabrications, which led to one of them reaching out and collaborating.

You wanna claim there's systemic racism, you need to demonstrate that your system, from the ground up and everywhere, is set up to be objectively unfair towards certain groups of people.

My claim is simple. It's the least racist country. Prove it wrong.

One nation.
    You have yet to prove your claim correct. One need not disprove a claim that has yet to be backed with evidence.

What can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

You are dismissed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    You just proved your literally don't know what racism means.

- - - Updated - - -

Name a cancer less deadly than thyroid cancer.

Do you think it'd be ok to have thyroid cancer?
    Testicular

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка

Source for your claim?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    Yeah, the post article is about all I could find and that is based merely on a question of who wouldn't you want to live next to you or something like that. Really, proving who is or isn't the least tolerant country isn't a metric that will be easy to find or monitor. I can't even find one that says the US is the least racist place to live, and the US is so diverse I wouldn't say living in NYC, LA, Portland, Memphis, Little Rock, Dallas, or Jackson would be anywhere near the same result either.

It is a poorly devised statement to block out the claim of systematic racism, which is really just a way of looking at socioeconomic disparity. Basically, the life you are born into dictates a lot of your success. Can you break this cycle yes, but it is a dramatic uphill climb, with a lot of dashes of luck, genetic lottery, and hard work. Your socioeconcomic status is a major limiter on you and if no one is doing anything for your community your likelihood of escape is rather limited. Do those at the top want to stay there and do everything in their power to keep things skewed toward them...yes.

Happens in the middle class as well. Smart kid, good looking, father owns a insurance company, kid goes out tries to make his own way it doesn't pan out, returns home works for father takes over fathers business. Happens a shit ton. It is the reason why most people don't climb beyond where they are born or fall too far from it either. Take Trump despite is best efforts to fail he fell upwards time and again. Mostly by being a rich guy known for being rich and telling people how rich he is and how knowing him will make you rich. Not a dig, just a reality. With what he was born into he should have really done a lot better. This isn't to say you can't forward move, but your chances of true escape from what you are born into is minimal. Giant moves just aren't made all that often in a single lifetime. For every Thomas Sowell there is 100 million Joe Blows.
    I agree, I don't much like the article, and the study doesn't really cover what I want it to cover. Trying to quantify racism is extraordinarily difficult.

- - - Updated - - -

None of that is true, if you don't know how to read studies; dont share them. You look like that Machismo guy.
    That machismo guy is kicking your ass right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    Is that an excuse? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post

There were 2 or 3 other officers involved. Yes, who were suspicious of their C.O's orders and fabrications, which led to one of them reaching out and collaborating.

You wanna claim there's systemic racism, you need to demonstrate that your system, from the ground up and everywhere, is set up to be objectively unfair towards certain groups of people.
    I mean sure. But again, it doesn't;t make sense to keep handwaving every example of racism as if all the others don;t happen when arguing against a widespread problem.

It would be like a restaurant with 100 people and 70 of them got food poising, but you went around to each person and said their one case of food poising doesn't mean the restaurant has a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Testicular
    Not according to wikipedia
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Well, that would show that at least 4 people in a small police department were guilty of it. In a place that size, you would likely have 12 officers, tops.

Systemic and institutional racism doesn't need to exist from the ground up and everywhere. You don't get to add your own personal feelings as stipulations for what constitutes as systematic and institutional racism. This example counts as systemic racism because someone in a position of power exploited, through a system, a vulnerable population --that he had been tasked to care for since isn't that what police are for, to protect?-- for his own convenience and/or gains.

I think people misunderstand systemic and institutional racism because they envision a giant boogeyman cult of lizardmen that are orchestrating racism through all society for the lulz but the reality is racism is actually a construct baked in that allows people with privilege to be exploitive and make gains for themselves. He would have never been able to pull this off with white wall street execs that commit white collar crimes. Or he'd have been punished much, much more harshly.
    Last edited by Coffeecat; 2018-11-28 at 11:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by keryeth View Post
    Systemic and institutional racism doesn't need to exist from the ground up and everywhere. You don't get to add your own personal feelings as stipulations for what constitutes as systematic and institutional racism. This example counts as systemic racism because someone in a position of power exploited, through a system, a vulnerable population --that he had been tasked to care for since isn't that what police are for, to protect?-- for his own convenience and/or gains.
    Yes it does, and your criticism of my remark goes your way too.

The closest thing you've had to systemic racism were the racial laws which existed to intentionally segregate black from white.

You want to claim it's racism? Fine, no contention here, but to claim that the American police force is a racist system, well you're gonna need more than that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    I mean sure. But again, it doesn't;t make sense to keep handwaving every example of racism as if all the others don;t happen when arguing against a widespread problem.

It would be like a restaurant with 100 people and 70 of them got food poising, but you went around to each person and said their one case of food poising doesn't mean the restaurant has a problem.
    I'm not denying the existence of racism, I am however suspicious of the claim that it's systemic.

Yes it does, and your criticism of my remark goes your way too.

The closest thing you've had to systemic racism were the racial laws which existed to intentionally segregate black from white.

You want to claim it's racism? Fine, no contention here, but to claim that the American police force is a racist system, well you're gonna need more than that.
    Once again, you are placing your own subjective beliefs as a metric, that's on you.

Well, we have data that police are more likely to contact and use all forms of force, except shooting, on black people than on whites. That data was already made available.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, that would show that at least 4 people in a small police department were guilty of it. In a place that size, you would likely have 12 officers, tops.
    I will ignorantly remark that, while not denying the racist charge of this situation, the head of police in this village may have just acted on statistics. I say ignorantly, because I don't know the demographic make up of this 3000 people village, nor the make up of its criminal population. But if it's anything like the US in general, where black individuals commit more crimes (or has that statistic changed?), the man probably took advantage of that and decided to target black individuals.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, we have data that police are more likely to contact and use all forms of force, except shooting, on black people than on whites. That data was already made available.
    And why is that?

I will ignorantly remark that, while not denying the racist charge of this situation, the head of police in this village may have just acted on statistics. I say ignorantly, because I don't know the demographic make up of this 3000 people village, nor the make up of its criminal population. But if it's anything like the US in general, where black individuals commit more crimes (or has that statistic changed?), the man probably took advantage of that and decided to target black individuals.

- - - Updated - - -

And why is that?
    Well, that points to systemic racism. After all, it was an exhaustive study. I hope you enjoy the read.