Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/...-spectrum-asd/

Gotta say, if that was my nephew it happened to, the person who did it wouldn't be happy for very long once I found out who they were. Can't stand people who abuse vulnerable people like this.

What an absolute douche.
    But I couldn't help but giggle at "He said his faith in humanity had been lost".
    I wasn't scammed but 14 years online in wow has done that to me too.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hate to be that guy but if the dudes mental deficiencies prevent him from making sound financial decisions then maybe his mother/carer shouldn't have let him have the ability to give away £1400 in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shit thing to do to anyone, autism or not. And I do feel bad for the kid.

But I also feel that if you know your child has autism, giving him free reign over monetary transactions was a stupid decision of the mother to make in the first place.
    She should have monitored him more closely. I call this a parenting fuckup.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyorkbourne View Post
    If he was 9 he shouldn't be playing because WoW is a 12+ game.
    Jesus dude, actually read the story. He WASN'T nine, but been playing since nine, and the mother had to go into his workplace to explain why he 'wasn't himself'.

Blaming the parent? Jeez...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saeran View Post
    Jesus dude, actually read the story. He WASN'T nine, but been playing since nine, and the mother had to go into his workplace to explain why he 'wasn't himself'.

I blame the scammer for being a piece of shit.
    I blame the parent for not seeing the possibility of this happening from a mile away.

I personally would not allow my autistic child to have free reign over spending money without me having to greenlight their transactions (bigger than, say, 10 bucks). Banks make this incredibly easy, too. At least my bank does.

>family members refuse to teach their child the ways of the world
    >are utterly shocked when the world acts like the world

truly a shock, better set up a kickstarter to help the family out

Quote Originally Posted by Saeran View Post

Read the comment I responded too, instead of accusing me of blaming the parent. This was in reference to someone else's hypothetical comment.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    reminds me off that time I accidentally sold my Dragon Med Helm for 1070g instead of 1070k.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    >family members refuse to teach their child the ways of the world
    >are utterly shocked when the world acts like the world

truly a shock, better set up a kickstarter to help the family out

Jesus F christ you people, what part of AUTISTIC is so hard to understand? you CANT teach these kids things along these lines most of the time, they deal in absolutes and directness.

If I tell a truly autistic 19 year old, people might scam you. He will respond with "No they wont" because if it's never happened to him and nothing I say will convince him otherwise.

The ONLY thing the mom failed with was oversight into his economics, an autistic child should not have access to all his funds like this. The rest is just you guys not understanding a damn thing about autism.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    I blame the scammer for being a piece of shit.
    I blame the parent for not seeing the possibility of this happening from a mile away.

I personally would not allow my autistic child to have free reign over spending money without me having to greenlight their transactions (bigger than, say, 10 bucks). Banks make this incredibly easy, too. At least my bank does.
    Well this is a simplistic mindset, to say the least.

Many people in this thread assume that ASD is a one dimensional issue with clear cut solutions. You fail to understand the biggest challenge a parent of a child with ASD faces.

Getting them to be a selfsupporting member of society.

With severe cases of ASD this is not an option. They get an allowance, are put in a group home (or stay living with parents for as long as possible).

There are fringe cases though. Children with ASD who have average levels of intelligence and could in a predictable, controlled environment function fairly well. It is a constant ongoing challenge for parents to guide these children to adulthood, knowing they're more vulnerable than "normal" children, but not too mentally challenged to be convicted to a life of effective incarceration in a home.

To do this, one must walk a tightrope balancing act of what responsibilities to give, and which ones not to give. Too little, and your child will never become selfsufficient. Too much and they bump their head against "real life" and get hurt. If their ambition was to have him live on his own at some point, which the article seems to indicate, it is beyond understandable to have him control his own savings account.

Mind you it's "only" 1400 pound here. This is still a fairly limited amount of money. This means that he only controls a small portion of the money granted to him. His living expenses are likely in his parents hands.

Could the parents have decided to put stricter control on his money? Sure. It would have had to come at the expense of his development though.

How dare you pass judgement on that tough call.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by craigw View Post
    scammers are a part of life. whether you have autism or not. why should anyone feel more sympathy towards someone with autism that this happened to, than any other person.
    Autism people often have issues recognizing certain emotions and expressing them and so on
    they are often excluded and somewhat lonely, makes it easier for a scammer to con him.
    the kid in this picture clearly doesn't have many friends and the guy abused that and personally he deserves if he did it to my little sister i'd break his knees at the very least

i think these kind of stories should be told more often not less to put this kind of shit in the spotlights more often,
    a simple thing like this can ruin a autistic boys life

Come up with a story about an autistic son.
    Start a go-fund.
    Get easy cash.
    ????
    Profit

Quote Originally Posted by VileGenesis View Post
    Jesus F christ you people, what part of AUTISTIC is so hard to understand? you CANT teach these kids things along these lines most of the time, they deal in absolutes and directness.

If I tell a truly autistic 19 year old, people might scam you. He will respond with "No they wont" because if it's never happened to him and nothing I say will convince him otherwise.

The ONLY thing the mom failed with was oversight into his economics, an autistic child should not have access to all his funds like this. The rest is just you guys not understanding a damn thing about autism.
    youre totally free to treat autistic people as special snowflakes that need everything handed to them for their entire lives. just as im free to call you a bigot.

This does stink of another gofundme scam but if it aint then that mother better prepare her son cause there is alot more scammers out there in this awful shitty ass world!

There is people who will steal the pennies off a dead mans eyeballs cause this world is a fucked up, criminally unfair pile of shit and you either get with the program or protect people if they cant get with the program.

Quote Originally Posted by kjhidhg View Post
    This does stink of another gofundme scam but if it aint then that mother better prepare her son cause there is alot more scammers out there in this awful shitty ass world!

There is people who will steal the pennies off a dead mans eyeballs cause this world is a fucked up, criminally unfair pile of shit and you either get with the program or protect people if they cant get with the program.
    how can you steal from the dead?

Loving all the edgelords talking about how bad a parent the mother is.

Truly courageous.

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    how can you steal from the dead?
    Cause they are dead???

Unless the dead can come alive and fight off attackers who want to steal the pennies from there eyes which they need to pay the ferry man to cross the river styx

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Necroxis View Post

Truly courageous.
    In this day and age you really need to be cautious with what you read on the Internet.

Like that case of that young girl whos mom pretended her daughter had cancer and in the end the young girl murdered her mom cause of the abuse!

Trust me take time to take a step back and think for a second when you read stories like these

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    Well this is a simplistic mindset, to say the least.

Many people in this thread assume that ASD is a one dimensional issue with clear cut solutions. You fail to understand the biggest challenge a parent of a child with ASD faces.
    Getting them to be a selfsupporting member of society.

-snip-

Could the parents have decided to put stricter control on his money? Sure. It would have had to come at the expense of his development though.
    How dare you pass judgement on that tough call.
    I'm 35 years old and have had the pleasure of raising other people's children every saturday morning for 11 years. Some of them with special needs.
    Since the mother admits in knowing that her child is too trusting towards strangers, she should have been greenlighting bigger spending done by her child.

Don't assume people don't know what they're talking about just because you disagree with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroxis View Post
    Truly courageous.

No room for nuance on the internet. Everything has to be extreme black and white, doesn't it?
    I don't think she is a bad mother. I do think she should've seen this coming and could have taken actions to prevent it.

But since hindsight is 20/20, I do feel bad for them both. I hope they break even.
    Last edited by Chonar; 2018-12-07 at 10:24 AM.

Deleted
    my sons is now 17 and has autism too - he has lots of games purchased on his PC and PS4, however, we dont have our card/pp saved, and if he wants to buy something, he asks myself or mum, to login make purchase, then remove card, and he will give us cash from his savings pot.
    He does not have his own bank account yet, but eventually will, and it will be down to use to educate him on safety and awareness,
    Hope this lad gets some money back and the scammer is hit with a book of justice

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyorkbourne View Post
    If he was 9 he shouldn't be playing because WoW is a 12+ game.
    Did you read? He's 19.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?