Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down Biden Mittens 2020!: More Bad Advice From Centrists

Bad Advice From Republicans Centrists; An Ongoing Series.

After losing to the blue wave a month ago, there's been no shortage of bad advice from moderate republicans. Usually it's some variation of just rolling over to Republican demands. But today brings in a real whopper from Politico. Two men who have twice failed in their bids to become President of the United States combine their powers to form a winning team!

Biden Should Run on a Unity Ticket With Romney.

Last summer, John McCain told the world that he regretted not picking Joe Lieberman, the former senator and Democrat, to be his vice presidential running mate in the 2008 presidential election. A McCain/Lieberman ticket might not have won the White House, but it could have diverted us from the dangerous polarization now plaguing our political system.

Joe Biden should learn from McCain’s regret. Oh my... all that schadenfreude of unleashing the Palin era of politics.

Now here’s what Biden should do next: Pick a Republican running mate in a “trans-party” third-party run for the White House.

Should Trump run again, this could be a “break-the-glass” moment for many Americans, creating an opening for a radical departure from our malfunctioning two-party political system. By injecting some ideological innovation into the process, we can break the hidebound precedents of two narrow parties running their ceremonious and illogical nominating process to select a candidate. (Why do Iowa and New Hampshire play such outsized roles? Why do independents, who outnumber both Democrats and Republicans, have only a binary political choice?) The system certainly suffered a critical failure in 2016, with both parties producing terribly flawed candidates in a race to the bottom.

The Democratic primary is shaping up to be cacophonous and chaotic. Biden should capitalize on his status as one of America’s most popular politicians, skip the risk and potential indignities of running and losing in what will be a vicious and mulish, leftward-lurching primary, and slingshot straight to the general election debate stage on a third-party ticket. Biden may not know it, but he is already well-positioned to win a three-way election outright. Here’s how:

It reads like a "This one neat Trick" on the internet. “Joe Biden should run on a third party ticket with someone who agrees with Trump on every policy issue but wishes he was a little less vulgar.”

Can Centrism ever evolve past such flawed wish fulfillment fantasies?

Juleanna Glover has worked as an adviser for several Republican politicians, including George W. Bush, Dick Cheney and Rudy Giuliani and advised the presidential campaigns of John McCain and Jeb Bush. She is on the Biden Institute Policy Advisory Board.

Uh huh.

Yeah I saw that earlier-pretty terrible idea. No way a ticket like that wouldn't pull way more from the left than right, and leave a much easier avenue for a second idiot-in-chieft term. Biden wouldn't risk it.
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.

Read it this morning; had a good laugh. God, they're terrified of anything that heads in a remotely leftward direction.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Good idea? Bad idea? Dunno. But if Biden runs with Kasich I will quit my job and help his campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Good idea? Bad idea? Dunno. But if Biden runs with Kasich I will quit my job and help his campaign.
    What's so appealing about the Status Quo ticket?
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

So yea Biden, I think at this point he is the most popular democrat in the nation who is eligible for the presidency. Good choice.

Mitt Romney? Only a republican could think that is a good idea. Mitt Romney pretends to be a good guy, and probably even thinks he is a good guy. He made his living destroying jobs. Bain Capital most recently played a major hand in fucking over everyone that worked at Toys R Us, and even if Mitt didn't directly play a hand in it, he can't escape that association for what the company he founded does and did destroy plenty of other companies in his time at Bain. He represents everything that is wrong with business in America today. There is no way he helps any ticket with his business record to drag him down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Biden could very well run for President. It'd be nice to see someone as no-nonsense as he is confront Trump's bullshit. He laughed in Paul Ryan's face for a lot less than the nonsense Trump's spewing.

But certainly not with Mitt Romney as VP.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account

May as well vote for Trump if you run that trash of a combination. I like Joe Biden, but please for the love of god, send Mitt back to whatever hole he's been hiding in since 2012.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I'll admit, even I'd consider voting that ticket!

Any other Republican for VP? Fuck that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Read it this morning; had a good laugh. God, they're terrified of anything that heads in a remotely leftward direction.
    Which is stupid, that's how you'll win.
    Putin khuliyo

7+ Year Old Account
    What's so appealing about the Status Quo ticket?
    Status Quo now would be continuing the Trump insanity. This would be the Make America Normal Again ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    Status Quo now would be continuing the Trump insanity. This would be the Make America Normal Again ticket.
    In terms of tone and civility, yes, but the "status quo" I was referring to is the continuance of the bipartisan policy failure of the last 40 years.
    Last edited by Gestopft; 2018-12-12 at 06:31 AM.
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of tone and civility, yes, but the "status quo" was referring to was the continuance of the bipartisan policy failures of the last 40 years.
    I'd rather have a stable failure that keeps towing the American line forward than the current insane failure actively dragging America backwards.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I'd rather have a stable failure that keeps towing the American line forward than the current insane failure actively dragging America backwards.
    Yes, but being better than Trump doesn't make it a good idea. Decades of stable failures got us here.
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Bad Advice From Republicans Centrists; An Ongoing Series.

After losing to the blue wave a month ago, there's been no shortage of bad advice from moderate republicans. Usually it's some variation of just rolling over to Republican demands. But today brings in a real whopper from Politico. Two men who have twice failed in their bids to become President of the United States combine their powers to form a winning team!

Last summer, John McCain told the world that he regretted not picking Joe Lieberman, the former senator and Democrat, to be his vice presidential running mate in the 2008 presidential election. A McCain/Lieberman ticket might not have won the White House, but it could have diverted us from the dangerous polarization now plaguing our political system.

Joe Biden should learn from McCain’s regret. Oh my... all that schadenfreude of unleashing the Palin era of politics.

Now here’s what Biden should do next: Pick a Republican running mate in a “trans-party” third-party run for the White House.

Should Trump run again, this could be a “break-the-glass” moment for many Americans, creating an opening for a radical departure from our malfunctioning two-party political system. By injecting some ideological innovation into the process, we can break the hidebound precedents of two narrow parties running their ceremonious and illogical nominating process to select a candidate. (Why do Iowa and New Hampshire play such outsized roles? Why do independents, who outnumber both Democrats and Republicans, have only a binary political choice?) The system certainly suffered a critical failure in 2016, with both parties producing terribly flawed candidates in a race to the bottom.

The Democratic primary is shaping up to be cacophonous and chaotic. Biden should capitalize on his status as one of America’s most popular politicians, skip the risk and potential indignities of running and losing in what will be a vicious and mulish, leftward-lurching primary, and slingshot straight to the general election debate stage on a third-party ticket. Biden may not know it, but he is already well-positioned to win a three-way election outright. Here’s how:

It reads like a "This one neat Trick" on the internet. “Joe Biden should run on a third party ticket with someone who agrees with Trump on every policy issue but wishes he was a little less vulgar.”

Can Centrism ever evolve past such flawed wish fulfillment fantasies?
    Of course she would say this, she worked for George W. Bush and Dick Cheney. I think she knows that it will be an uphill climb for Trump to get re-elected next election.

Joe Biden should learn from McCain’s regret.
    Joe Biden needs to learn from McCain’s failure true but to be more specific, his failures trying to suck up to the right-wing lunatics that forced McCain to take Palin as a VP. Biden will never win the 30% of the voters who voted for Trump because Biden isn't a racist asshole that tries to scare people.

The last mid-term election proves that Republicans really can't win elections. Democrats won regions where just 2 years ago Trump won with +10 points and where the incumbent Republicans never bothered campaigning. Ted Cruz won his re-election with 3 bloody points in 2018 where in 2012 that was 16 points difference.

Democrats just need to man up and don't be afraid of running on there accomplishments. Democrats brought the US healthcare....the Republicans tax cuts for the rich.

I can't believe Biden is a serious candidate no matter who he's running with or for, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I can't believe Biden is a serious candidate no matter who he's running with or for, personally.
    This, his time to run was two years ago. He'd be 82 going into a second term if he runs and wins in 2020.

The notion of a bi partisan ticket of two moderates is a great idea, finding actual viable candidates is the issue.