Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazinger-Z View Post
    https://www.wowhead.com/news=289324/...u-later-bundle

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    This limited-time bundle includes all pets, mounts, and helms that are about to enter hibernation in the Blizzard Archive on January 6, 2019. Get them all now, in one fell swoop, before it’s too late!*

Items in the See You Later Bundle will enter hibernation on January 6, 2019 and will no longer be available in the Blizzard® Shop or in-game shop (until further notice). These items may return at some point in the future.

This is a dynamic bundle, which means the bundle’s total price will be reduced if you already own one or more of the items this bundle contains. Log in to see your price.
    I am in utter awe of the tone deafness here.

Ends a week after the end of the Q4 financial quarter.
    I bought all of that for less then it cost me to buy the brontosuarus mount (which i havent) cause that costs about 850$ more.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Yep, just to boost sales of the item. A digital item, which is just sad. Pretty scummy. They should've just offered some big deals on shop items and left it at that, not this 'soon to retire!' bullshit.

Though to be honest I wish they'd remove the entirety of the in-game shop and put all the mounts/pets in the game obtained from game content.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    People? What people? Buying gold with WoW tokens and buying gear with it doesn't help you in this game if you don't know how to play.
    When Blizz first started selling pets on the store people were saying it was the first step on a slippery slope that would end with Blizz selling BiS gear for money. 9 years later people are now making the same claim about this sale.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Funny thing is...they cannot GRAB your cash. YOU need to GIVE it to them.

Stop pulling the victim card..it is pathetic. YOU have the money in your pocket. YOU ACTIVELY have to hand it over.
    Are you seriously making this about me?

Cash Grab is just a colloquialism. I don't actually take part in MTX. Although I 100% agree with you, ultimately a person decides their choices. That includes if they have "addictive personality" and would be a person that wastes money on MTX; It's their choice to continue playing the game that exposes them to those types of practices.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post

I'm not defending Blizzard as such.

Funny. Because it reads like this is exactly what you're doing. Glazing over this crap and focusing on me instead of the issue at hand is just redirecting blame.

If it appears that I'm spending a lot of time dumping on Blizzard, it's because Blizzard has consistently following a pattern of behaviour that is simply more apparent now than it has ever been before. I don't want them to be this way. But I'm also not going to just shut up about it. The only way for players to get game companies to stop acting the way Blizzard has been recently is to talk about it. Raise awareness. Be vocal. Express displeasure.

If this "sale" is viewed in a vacuum Id say your post was correct. But taken with the larger context of how Blizzard has been behaving in recent years, it's not just something innocent. By attempting to potray this as something harmless or normal, defending Blizzard is exactly what you're doing. And not holding them accountable is why game companies get away with it.

But don't worry. Things keep going the way they are and you'll get your wish. I, like many other long time fans, will finally just be so sick of it that we'll stoping hoping for better and just leave.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2018-12-22 at 04:16 AM.

These items are old and likely not selling well. Every store, even virtual ones, have a limited amount of "shelf space". Blizzard likely wants to keep the store fairly small and efficient, instead of growing into dozens of items for people to skim through. They've never done another store bought transmog since the helms, so I imagine those were quite the flop. It's simply easier to sell a smaller stock of goods instead of hundreds of items. There was a study done a few years ago about an indecision phenomena. Basically while people say they want more choices, things actually sell much more easily when there is fewer choices, and people are happier. The colloquial term is "fear of missing out" or "FOMO" (granted that applies to much more than just this situation). Basically if Blizzard were to just sell 20 high quality items instead of 100 moderate quality items, they'd likely make more money with the smaller selection. It's simple business practices, and it kind of amazes me that people are even remotely upset about a standard procedure. Blizzard is a company whose primary purpose is to make money. Blizzard then does something to make more money. People are upset.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    . Blizzard is a company whose primary purpose is to make money. Blizzard then does something to make more money. People are upset.
    It's because of the way they're going about it. Like I said in an earlier post, had this sale been on its own it would not be a big deal. But drop it into a string of events like Blizzard has been doing the past few years, and it's just one more staw on the camel's back.

Deleted
    Kevin Spacey already signed for the upcoming blockbuster The WoW Effect:
    J. Allen Brack takes over Activision tru Cashgrabs via Item Shop...

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    It's because of the way they're going about it. Like I said in an earlier post, had this sale been on its own it would not be a big deal. But drop it into a string of events like Blizzard has been doing the past few years, and it's just one more staw on the camel's back.
    *Shrug*. I disagree with most of the complaining back then too. Companies exist to make money, full stop. The only reason companies are enticed to make good products is that more people pay for them. The reality is that there is a loud vocal minority that gets upset at the blatant money grabbing from the gaming industry, while most do not care. It's not like it's more blatant than any other industry. The difference is that we're in a transitory period where video gaming is becoming more accepted as a major part of the entertainment economy, and therefore more pressure is put on them to produce financial results, and less on quality. The reality is gaming is going to become much more similar to basically all the other industries. Various gaming YTers have been talking about this for years, the one I used to follow was Extra Credits, and they touched on this transition back in 2013 I think? Gaming was always going to either fade into obscurity or become money hungry. Like other industries, the passion for quality will be retained by small retailers, or in this case independent games.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Maybe they're just removing it from the digital shop to make space for new items?

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    *Shrug*. I disagree with most of the complaining back then too. Companies exist to make money, full stop. The only reason companies are enticed to make good products is that more people pay for them. The reality is that there is a loud vocal minority that gets upset at the blatant money grabbing from the gaming industry, while most do not care. It's not like it's more blatant than any other industry. The difference is that we're in a transitory period where video gaming is becoming more accepted as a major part of the entertainment economy, and therefore more pressure is put on them to produce financial results, and less on quality. The reality is gaming is going to become much more similar to basically all the other industries. Various gaming YTers have been talking about this for years, the one I used to follow was Extra Credits, and they touched on this transition back in 2013 I think? Gaming was always going to either fade into obscurity or become money hungry. Like other industries, the passion for quality will be retained by small retailers, or in this case independent games.
    I mostly agree with that. But I also think that it's a fair and good thing for responsible consumers to push for better quality products and services, as well as condemning underhanded business practices. The fact that "most people" don't care or are too passive to do this doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    This is going to be my last response to you, because clearly you're incapable of understanding basic concepts. I'll try one last time to break this down in very simple terms for you.

Digital goods like this were created once and last literally forever.

Physical goods require materials, shipping, shelf space, etc.

With digital goods, there's zero upkeep.

With physical goods limited runs are either to liquidate product that isn't selling, or more often to make a sales risk and see how well it sells. If it sells well enough, it's kept for good (usually) see mountain dew live wire as an example. Or they bring it back annually

If you still don't understand the difference, this is on you.
    Limited time items are rarely about the materials or the cost of production/storage, it is about triggering the impulse to buy before supply runs out. There is nothing evil or dirty about it UNLESS the price is being inflated during official sales.

This is certainly a reputation-damaging tactic, but that seems to be Blizzard's mission these days is to piss off all their fans. I've never purchased a store mount b/c I think I should be able to earn every item in-game since this is a subscription-based game. I also am not a fan of excessively high-priced gold sink mounts strategically designed to force the player into buying tokens/gold. There's part of me that wants to pay the gold [like 150k gold for each mount] b/c of this forced scarcity tactic, but the other part of me is like no F U to this company and their bullcrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    This is totally a marketing move. Disney does this all the time with their movies. "Get them before they go back into the vault."

Of course it costs them nothing to leave them on the shelf. It's enforced rarity to drive up its perceived value.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Especially since they come out and admit that these items may (read: will) come back. "These items may return at some point in the future."

Nothing nefarious about what they are doing. Just marketing.
    Physical objects =/= digital pixels but thanks for playing.

Quote Originally Posted by TelefonoGatewood View Post
    Forced scarcity of digital shop items really sholdn't be a thing. This is new kind of low.
    So don't buy it. Problem solved. These threads are pure trolling and its shameful the mods allow them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    This is what a free to play game does.
    This is what a for profit company does ie literally every single fucking last one them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    I suspect it has more to do with Q4 being a shitshow than artificially scarcity. Betting a lot of the higher ups need profits NOW or they will be out on their asses.
    You morons do understand there is more to ATVI than wow right? That there are significantly more profitable revenue streams that don't even fucking involve Blizzard or Wow related cash shop items?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Not so much tone deafness, it's just a cash grab.
    So don't fucking give them cash. Honest to god you people need to mind your own god damn business. If people want to buy this bundle LET THEM. It has NOTHING to do with you.

- - - Updated - - -

It's going to piss people off. They're trading short-term quarter profits for good will. Unless they think that will get them to the point where they can buyback good will, it is amazing tone deaf.
    Did I miss the part where people are forced to pay for this? People have been asking for bundles like this forever and it is being done at a discount so fuck right off with this cash grab bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Already bought it. It's a decent deal for me with how little of the bundle I own.
    But don't you know we are contributing to the problem which is...hmmm I guess having them even temporarily remove items and offer them at huge discounts

"But they don't have to remove them because they are digital items"

True but removing them slims down the shop interface and they aren't selling well
    I mean windsteed is the worst selling mount
    And the helm are a fucking plague

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    If anyone buys this, it puts them on an even lower plane of existence compared to ActiBlizz. It's one thing to be an evil corporate entity born out of pure greed, and another to be so utterly dumb to let the evil mass of greed take advantage of you. At least one part of the transaction here is working for their own interests (ActiBlizz), but another is just too dumb to not allow to be taken advantage of. It's basically a case of "you're bad and you should feel bad".

Oh my. You should delete this, really. i thought the topic already had "artificial scarcity" being mentioned?
    Who the hell do you think you are? It is none of your fucking business how people spend THEIR money that THEY earned.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    So don't buy it. Problem solved. These threads are pure trolling and its shameful the mods allow them.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what a for profit company does ie literally every single fucking last one them.

- - - Updated - - -

You morons do understand there is more to ATVI than wow right? That there are significantly more profitable revenue streams that don't even fucking involve Blizzard or Wow related cash shop items?

- - - Updated - - -

So don't fucking give them cash. Honest to god you people need to mind your own god damn business. If people want to buy this bundle LET THEM. It has NOTHING to do with you.

- - - Updated - - -

Did I miss the part where people are forced to pay for this? People have been asking for bundles like this forever and it is being done at a discount so fuck right off with this cash grab bullshit.
    They are just quoting asmon at this point while not understanding their own concept

Especially with people breaking it down for them. It's not like a shyster moving into town on his medicine wagon and pimping their tonics to the hapless bumpkins. People are breaking down the manipulation tactic and how that's all it is. This isn't even an attempt to clear the lot for the 2019 models. It's just about manipulating people for their cash.
    That is all well and good except for the fact they are lowering the price for customers who already own some of the pets and mounts. They didn't have to do that and yet they did. And yes we all know its artificial scarcity. I don't give a fuck. If people want these items and are willing to pay, let them. It is NONE of your concern.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Because it's incredibly important.

If you buy these things you encourage the business to continue its practices. It affects ALL OF US. You don't get to just simplify this as if you're in a bubble. Purchasing power generates ripples, and businesses guide themselves with statistics, if one of these cash grabs is successful, more will follow.

And yet people in this topic INSISTING on being pillaged and staying in the dark, despite all this.
    None of you idiots spamming this bullshit is informing anyone of anything other than your own ignorance of how companies function. If you don't want the product or dont like it, don't buy it. Simple. And fuck you for thinking you are somehow enlightened by screaming that a company is selling something for profit and insulting others for not joining in on the hysteria.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by your mother View Post
    whats wrong with that tactic? theyre only screwing over their own profits by taking things off their store
    after all, ppl cant buy whats not for sale
    People here love to accuse Blizzard of cash grabs when they do things that actually result in less cash.

so, I have been following this thread on and off since its creation two days ago and the first thought that enters my mind is, have people somehow missed that you can buy the WoW Token with gold, convert it into balance and buy stuff from the ingame store with no irl money needed?

I admit that when the cash shop was launched so did I not like it, I did not think that a cash shop belonged in a sub based game, but I was not really upset about it either since it was only cosmetic items. Ever since they enabled players to buy Tokens with gold and convert to balance so did I lose the last of my dislike for the shop, assuming that it stays as a cosmetic only shop.

and the people upset that they are retiring digital items, its better to have a small amount of items rather then having the shop be this massive thing and so what if they bring back these things later, they will bring them back at full prize then. So either buy them now (if you actually want them) for a discount or wait until they return to the shop and buy that at full prize. I had already planned on buying 2 mounts from the store for christmas (has been farming gold for it since november) and all this "money grab" does it ensure that I get an extra mount, 3 transmog items and a bunch of pets without paying any more gold then I planned.

I guess the tldr is, I dont get why people are upset about this when you dont need to spend any irl money to get them