Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 37 of 125 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    I don't even know how these people live their lives. If it's a good movie, it's a good movie. If it's bad, it's bad. These idiots think there is some grand conspiracy if a woman is the lead role.

You get one crowd going "Oh god, it's a woman in a lead role and they used "hero to her" on the screen. Feminist agenda!!!"
    Then you get the other "If you don't like women in movies, you're evil"

Like both groups, shut the fuck up.
    I don't particularly feel that the second group you listed exists in the film industry, or indeed online, in any significant number. Not saying they don't, but compared to the raving trolls in the other camp?

If that were the case, then "female lead" or "Minority lead" movies would be universally praised, regardless of whether they were good films are not. I can think of numerous recent films lead by female stars or featuring minority leads that did not receive "overwhelming critical praise." Why? Because they weren't actually good movies. Lucy, the 2016 Ghost Busters, Brave, and any number of recent Melissa McCarthy and Tyler Perry comedies. Not critical successes. Critics had no qualms pointing out issues with the films. Issues like... plot... character development... cinematography... you know, actual trappings of film making, and not imagined ulterior motives.

However, all of these female or minority lead films that have been tremendous successes: Wonder Woman, Fury Road, Black Panther, TLJ (even though only ONE of the four main characters is female...) and, as you can see now, Captain Marvel (before a single person has seen a frame of the film in theaters no less,) have seen vicious backlash based, not on the merits of the films themselves, but instead on it including women or minorities in a way they think "pushes the SJW agenda."

I think the issue of complaint here is pretty one-sided.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2019-02-21 at 12:25 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    Movie will be a generic superhero movie, probably mediocre at best with a 50-55% RT score. Movie will cop criticism for being a shitty movie, and the director/those involved/the media will scream that its all sexism, alt-right trolls and the russians (always)

It's getting old.
    It will be 80% + . The rt critics are marvel fanboys that throw high reviews at anything with the marvel label.
    If its a marvel flick they praise it saying it "super duper fantastic fun" with no mention on how crappy and the same generic copy pasta script.
    If its not marvel then its the worst written garbage of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Seeing as all of their animosity amounts to is pissy online comments while the films enjoy critical and commercial success... that's a very limp-dicked threat.

Let them be pissy. All they're doing is tearing their own hair out.

Not a single MCU film has received a score that low. Not Thor the Dark World, not that original Hulk movie.
    None of those casts came out and ostracised parts of their fan base for being born a particular colour and gender. It might score higher, the score isn't really relevant. The reaction to any criticism, however, will be the same

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    It will be 80% + . The rt critics are marvel fanboys that throw high reviews at anything with the marvel label.
    If its a marvel flick they praise it saying it "super duper fantastic fun" with no mention on how crappy and the same generic copy pasta script.
    If its not marvel then its the worst written garbage of all time.
    Only Marvel movies I've thoroughly enjoyed were Dr Strange, the X-men series (some of them anyway) and Venom was fun. Rest is rehashed garbage

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Yeah Larsons tirades over the last few months have killed it for a lot of folks, myself included.. And because of that I am not going to see it, and well I am not really allowed to go as I am a straight white male.. lol
    Straight, white male here and I plan to see it. But then I don't suffer from white fragility and/or sexual insecurity like most you you guys seem to.

You claimed that Solo failed not because of "Star Wars fatigue," but because of "feminist propaganda fatigue" (a laughably idiotic sentiment.) Thus, you are either insinuating that the feminist propaganda nature of Solo caused it to fail, or you aren't particularly good at articulating your thoughts.
    Maybe you just suck at reading comprehension? I never said that Solo failed because it's feminist propaganda, I said that it failed because of the fatigue that caused.
    After The Last Jedi and the terrible experience it was people simply had enough of SW for a while and didn't wanna risk another terrible propaganda effort masqueraded as space movie, and Solo suffered for it. Not exactly rocket science.

You were the one claiming that your personal, subjective experience about the Last Jedi was the only correct one and that the people that disagreed with you must have been lying and actually hated it because they didn't want to piss off the feminist agenda. That is literally what you said.
    I don't remember saying that my experience is the only correct one, but I understand why putting lies into my mouth might be easier than actually addressing me fairly. And critics not wanting to lose their brownie points with producers is a well known problem in the industry.

Again zero susbstance in your answers, but lots of passive-aggressive insulting with "baby sized brain" and all that stuff I snipped from your post.
    Guess I hit a nerve? Is that why you're attacking me personally and oh so angrily?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    The "anti-sjw" crowd is just people that are bored of being told they're racist/sexist for not thinking incredibly average (or shitty) movies are amazing. When people keep insisting that crap things are amazing just because of whatever social-political-statement they're meant to be making, there's going to be greater pushback from all the people that think they're just shit and who's opinions are just getting dismissed as bigotry.

People were told they were sexist for not liking Ghostbusters, but that was an embarrassingly shit movie.

People were told they were sexist/racist for not liking The Last Jedi, but that was a shit movie that treated the franchise as a joke.

People were told they were sexist/racist for not liking Marvels new "diverse" comics, but they were mostly fucking awful and the writers lack of experience showed.

People were told they were racist for not thinking BlackPanther was the greatest Oscar Worthy CBM ever, but it's just an OK Marvel movie (with some great characters but awful CGI).

People were told they were sexist for not thinking Jodie Whittaker is the greatest Doctor Who ever, but the new series is just pretty atrociously written crap.

A female lead action movie can work and be great. We know this because of ALL THE OTHER female lead action movies we've had over the last decades that were really popular. From Sarah Connor to Ripley to everyone else.. the badass-action-girl is such an overused trope that it's a cliche, but now we all pretend they don't exist. The reviews for WW were like "It's so great girls can FINALLY have a female action role model", despite the huge success of characters like Buffy, Lara Croft, Xena, She-Ra, or even the Linda Carter Wonder Woman... (or MAYBE a lot of younger girls don't necesarily decide on who they idolise by how much they kick ass)

The Captain Marvel trailers look pretty average so far, and really don't get a lot of personality across from its lead star. I'm being optimistic (it is Marvel Studios afterall) but people are justified in feeling cautious about it and in feeling that early reactions and reviews for movies mean jack shit these days. Most people don't WANT this to be bad, everyone's just learnt though that the more emphasis the marketing, interviews etc put on the "liberal" nature, the more likely it's because the actual content isn't as worth celebrating.
    Perfectly put.

I don't particularly feel that the second group you listed exists in the film industry, or indeed online, in any significant number. Not saying they don't, but compared to the raving trolls in the other camp?
    When James Rolfe made a very short video stating the reasons why Ghostbusters 2016 didn't interest him and wasn't planning to go see him for review, the whole lot of celebrity, media and journalists attacked him accusing of misoginy, sexism and all evils in the world.

The few "trolls" there are are nothing compared to the media presence constantly accusing any sort of criticism of being evil bigoted people who hate women.
    Just look at Dr.Who for another example. Never do they address the criticism fairly, but rather paint it as "raging trolls" and nothing more.

Kinda like you do. At this point I don't know if you're living under a rock or straight up lying.
    Last edited by Malaky; 2019-02-21 at 01:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Right now the left is fact based

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Straight, white male here and I plan to see it. But then I don't suffer from white fragility and/or sexual insecurity like most you you guys seem to.
    I would probably have seen it but Larson's tirades is what killed any desire to see it.. I would rather watch Alita or Wonder Woman instead and I do plan on seeing Alita at least that looks halfway decent..

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Weird, her calling out the bullshit only made me want to see it more.
    Huh? The bs statements from the actress made you want to see the movie?
    Why
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.

Her statements weren’t bs? It’s weird you think they are.
    That critics should be invited not on their worth as critics but based on their gender and skin color?

How is that not just racist and sexist bs?

They don't want me to see it, so I'll pass.

Also... SJWs are nuts. Every time a movie or video game fails because of pc nonsense, they blame anything else before it. A lot of games and movies did fail because of precisely that. It must be a trained reflex from Hillary losing or something.
    Last edited by NewOrleansTrolley; 2019-02-21 at 01:19 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    You must of forgotten about Ghostbusters 2016, how you had the director some of the films stars and one of the head honchos at Sony, throwing vitriol and the fans.. And we all know how well that worked out for them..

Hell they are still revising the projected box office for Capt Marvel..

The critics shouldn’t all be white men when there are most assuredly people of color and females who do the job. Which was her point. I see you got lost in your desire to be a victim though.
    How am I a victim in calling out racist and sexist speeches? You're not making any sense.

If anything it's those people of color and females who are the victims as they're being treated as monoliths, which is also very racist and sexist.

People are individuals, there's no indication they'd do any different or better than white men. Everyone should be invited on merit, and merit alone. Any other consideration unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Malaky View Post
    Huh? The bs statements from the actress made you want to see the movie?
    Why
    if you ask me, I don't give two shits about what she said.

even if she said that all men should die, I would still go to see it.

I don't give two rats about anyone's personal belief's.

10+ Year Old Account
    As suppose all raging sjws do

@Vegas: What they really want to fire straight white men and force hire people just based on race, regardless of merit. That's the definition of racism, unless your definition of racism is janked up.
    Last edited by NewOrleansTrolley; 2019-02-21 at 01:28 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The critics shouldn’t all be white men when there are most assuredly people of color and females who do the job. Which was her point. I see you got lost in your desire to be a victim though.
    You do know how insulting and demeaning that is? Rather than women or people of color getting the job because they worked really hard and got there on their own merits they got it because others felt sorry for them..

You're trying to claim you were somehow being attacked by those statements,
    Quote where then. I'll be waiting.

that were neither racist nor sexist. That's playing the victim. It's amazing people think calling for inclusion is somehow racist and sexist though.
    Assuming people should get the job based on skin color and genitals is both racist and sexist. It's the soft bigotry of low expectations where outward appearances decide your worth instead of your skills and abilities as an individual.

I don't want "white females" or "black men" working as critics. I want Roger Erbert, John Smith, Jane Whatever and so on.

Never heard of the character before this movie was revealed, but I'm not interested in it. I don't mind a female lead at all, superheroes can be and do whatever they like, but the trailer gave me nothing.
    Mother pus bucket!

They already have the job. This is about them getting the assignments that they rarely get.
    If they rarely get the assignements then there must be other factors than race and gender.

Experience, merit, ability, talent, call it how you want, I find it hard to believe there's some cabal of racism and sexist cults for which only the "white male" gets to review the movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Critics loved Ghostbusters...and they loved the Last Jedi...
    Critics also loved Infinity war, TFA, Aquaman, disliked JL, suicide squad... something most of the audience did too.
    More often than not audiences and critics agree.
    Last edited by Crillam; 2019-02-21 at 01:51 PM.

They already have the job. This is about them getting the assignments that they rarely get.
    So, now these people are getting the assignment because of the color of their skin or their sex, while others who worked just as hard to get there are excluded for the sake of inclusion. They must feel so proud of their acomplishments. Sounds perfectly reasonable. You know what, why don't we print a catalogue of interviewers sorted by race and gender, so celebrities can pick them out in a palette like you pick out drapes for your apartments?